TWINS!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the second baby didnt make it.
default_sad.png
But the first baby appears ok and mom seems ok so far...praying for all!!!!

oh thats so sad , does anyone know why even at that stage it didnt survive ? was the dead one the second one out ? is it because the placenta is dettached and it is starved of oxygen while waiting inline ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Less than half a placenta (as in, half the uterus to attach to) isn't enough contact area to allow for enough nutrient and oxygen exchange. The smaller twin who looses the placenta battle will almost always be too small and frail to survive. That's why its so vital to pinch off a twin when the pregnancy is just a few weeks old. Many times, neither fetus will survive. Its very rare that both foals survive to term.

There seems to be a problem with the back legs or hip. They are doing maneuvres that look like correcting a dislocation???

Yes it looks like the baby is still having problems god I hope it will be ok. does anyone think it will be ok?

I had a friend years ago who had twin full size Appaloosa foals born. Both were colts and actually both of the survived which is very rare. They both had leg problems early in life but developed ok after they had a chance to straighten out and stretch. The problem with twins is that neither horse usually amounts to what they originally could have been.

They are standing him up and holding him up with a towel to nurse, but personally, I don't think he's going to make it. It is so sad. And such a beautiful mare and so patient. I hope I'm wrong about the foal.

the mare almost looks like she knows something. Its very sad and my heart is breaking. I pray that the foal will be ok. but have this gut feeling
default_sad.png

been watching the foal on the cam all I can say is God bless the owners for being dedicated on trying to help this baby. I pray it will be ok and become strong.

I'm not sure if it means anything because I have not been watching all day but I just saw the foal stand up with out any help.

Well that sounds like a good sign!!!!!

Yes its been trying to get up. Not sure if mom is rejecting it as she moves away or if shes trying to get it to be stronger. God bless the little thing

OMG!
default_new_shocked.gif
I just looked for the first time. That is the tiniest large horse foal I've every seen! I've never personally had a large horse foal, but it sure seems small to me. What do you guys think? I guess it's from being one of twins?

I wish I hadn't looked.
default_no.gif
That poor little thing uses all the energy he has to get up - looks like only one back leg is usable at this time. And then his mom moves away from him and he falls back down trying to get to her. I can't stand it and wish I'd never looked. Bless that little thing
default_pray.gif

Twins are terrible in horses. My heart goes out to the owner!

I have had the great pleasure of attending twins that lived. It was literally the most exhaustive 6 days of my life.

The babies couldn't stand on their own, and momma about went crazy trying to keep an eye on both of them at the same time.

We literally slept in the stall, milked the mare, and bottle fed those two boys. They are now both healthy and beautiful geldings. (Warmblood foals.)

http://marabetfarm.us/id38.html <---- there's a link to pic's of them as leetle babies once they were able to walk on their own.

Latest posts

Back