Twins for Tonja at Mulligans Run???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

little lady

Reaction score
I was watching her all day and early evening...and checked this morning and there is two
default_new_shocked.gif
in with her! She seems like she is not feeling the best though. Anybody with any other info?

Interesting, wonder if she has adopted an orphan.

WOW......I see them too. Sure looks like a set of twins. Highly irregular. Both look like they are doing fine. Hope we get more info soon.

The second foal was rejected by its mother 24 hours before and Tonja has accepted him/her. I got this from the message board at Mare Stare. Way to go Tonja!!!

Tonja sounds like one of those really special broodies, worth their weight in gold!

Not to take away from this post, but, there WERE twins born at Sawyer Creek Appaloosas 2 days ago on their cam.. One colt, one filly, and they are doing fantastic!

I don't know if it's feeding time or what but Tonia is very adgitated this morning. Constant pacing and tossing her head. She sure isn't happy about something.

It sure is a bright ray of sunshine
default_wub.png
to see her accept that other foal!
default_biggrin.png
Does anyone know which is her real foal? I notice one is missing at the moment....I can tell I'm not gonna get mch done today...
default_blush.png

Journey (the adoptee) is two days older than the foal that Tonja gave birth to last night, so he's a bit more coordinated. He's the leggier one with the blaze.But wow, with two colts to look after, Tonja is going to have her work cut out for her!

Last edited by a moderator:
default_new_shocked.gif
That is something that she has accepted the other foal along with her own. Definely worth her weight in gold! CONGRATULATIONS on the new foal!!!!!

Thank you for providing the information needed here Bunnylady
default_biggrin.png

A few nights ago a maiden mare gave birth and rejected her foal (Journey). We held her and allowed the colt to nurse hourly all night and into the afternoon of the following day. Try as we might she wanted nothing to do with him and she became increasingly dangerous to handle. The last feeding took four people to hold her and our vet said enough. It wasn't worth the risk to us, the mare or the colt. We switched him to formula and continue to milk her to mix with it. She was great for milking so we knew that there was nothing overly sore with her bag.

He took to the bottle quickly and we prayed that Tonja would foal and we could get her to take him. She cooperated and we were successful in getting her to take another baby, who she loves equally.

Tonja was throwing her head (not uncommon for her) and was aggitated when a friend went to the barn to pick stalls. Tonja knew it was feeding time and she was understandbly hungry. She also is protective of her babies and doesn't like other horses coming in, so you will see her react to that as well.

Yes, Journey has nursed a good bit, making up for lost time, but Tonja's colt has been nursing as well and we are trying to monitor them to make sure they ae both getting what they need. Our vet will be there later today to flush Pearl and to check the little ones.

So, while we don't have twins we certainly have a miracle. Bottle raising a foal is not a great option so we are very very grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mulligans Run-Thank you soooo much for the update. I have to tell you watching Tonja and those two little ones has been such a JOY!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
I have converted several co -workers(very non horsey people) into watching them also and we are all enjoying them. This is such a great learning experience. Continued thoughts and prayers headed your way for healthy mares and foals. Please keep us updated on their progress.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back