Twilight series

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basketmiss

Reaction score
Ok I was fighting the Twilight deal-Why you ask? Cause I didnt like Harry Potter and everyone said How good it was-I didnt think so.I am also NOT into vampires

Anyway this is why I wasnt into Twilight.

My friend loaned us the movie-I watched with my son and liked it so I started the books. I read all 4 of them in 4 days! I couldnt believe how GOOD they are!

I am glad they ended well.. A good clean love story (hard to get nowadays)

I am wondering if anyone else had been fighting the Twilight trend.

I can now say I highly recomment the series
default_smile.png
I know I was dumb for not reading sooner but I guess it was finally my time!!

Missy
default_smile.png

I forgot to say I hadnt been on here or Facebook because of my obsession of reading this. I am having to catch up on both!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My coworkers were NUTS about it but I resisted until copies of the first two books showed up in our office library recently.
default_rolleyes.gif
I figured, well, they're there and I'm bored so let's see what the fuss is about! They were good books and I did hurry from one book to another to see what happened but to me they lacked universal themes or a resonating moral story. They were a simple individual love story, and a questionable one at that. There were times I just wanted to smack Bella over the head!
default_laugh.png
I was grudgingly won over by Edward's care of her eventually, but have to admit I was all about Team Jacob.

That relationship could have gone so very wrong in so many ways...I really don't want to think about a generation of young girls who are convinced that sort of thing is a Perfect Romance!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_no.gif
Not all guys are going to save them from themselves like Edward did.

Still, it was an enjoyable read. I think I'll stick with Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings though as the truly great teen books.
default_wink.png

Leia

I haven't read them...yet. I'm still resisting. So far, the only book cult I'm involved with is Harry Potter!

I have read all 4 books as I bought them after seeing the movie in theatres twice. I also own the movie. I actually just started to read the books again, almost done Twilight for a second time.

I have not "read" it yet, but have the series on audio (unabridged). One of my BIGGEST "guilty pleasures" is listening to books on tape / audio. I'm saving these until I'm done with some others, but am looking forward to hearing them
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

My daughter has read them about 3 times now (whole series) and seen the movie many times (we have purchased it too) and it is on her iPod.

I have just started to read the first book after listening to her talk about it ALL the time.

Oooooo. I can't really see the appeal of the books. I read the first one and was majorly disappointed and, quite frankly, am at a loss as to why the books and movie(s) sell so well. She's not a very good writer...

I resisted for SOOO long! I love vampire stories (I mean the Anne Rice Vampire Chronical types!) but just wasn't into the idea of another series like this. Everyone kept telling me they weren't just for the tweens, but I held off. Then I got a wonderful little giftbag for Christmas with the first three books. I very grudgingly started the first one....and BAM I was hooked! There aren't many books that suck me in the way these did. I could NOT stop reading. Let me confess here, I am 32 years old and have been married 13 years and yet I see so many friends and coworkers beat me to the books. It is NOT just for the teens and tweens at all. I can hardly believe I am confessing this, but I even have a Twighlight hoodie that I wear to work on casual fridays and have Bella's Lullaby as my ringtone. Yes, I am sick in the head. I am reading the books for the second time and am just as in love with the story and characters as before. I love me some Edward!
default_wub.png

I am going to go pretend that I didn't just confess this in public...and watch the movie to make myself feel better.

Amy

I'm kinda with Matt... I read the first one and thought it was okay. Nothing sensational. And thus I had no desire to read the others. Unlike Harry Potter where I could fly through whatever the newest book was in the blink of an eye...

I went to the movie with a friend. She is a Twilight book fan - and yet she was disappointed in the movie. As for me, it was just okay. That's all. So I guess that I also am scratching my head about all the exictement. This is one train I seem to have missed completely!
default_wink.png

I am so with you. I really don't like Harry Potter and I cannot stand vampires. But one night I reluctantly watched "Twighlight" and loved it! I just started reading the first book and really look forward to the next few books as well as the movies.

I held off until after I saw the movie while babysitting one night. The girl I was watching had been telling me for years that I needed to read the books, but I was not that interested and never got around to it. However, after I saw the movie, I had to find out what happened with the rest of the series. I do like the books. I'm not a big fantasy person, but I love Harry Potter and enjoy the Twilight books when I want to entertain myself without having to think too much
default_laugh.png
Only problem is, I bought my Welsh filly right after the movie came out, before I had seen it or read the books. I named her Bella after the flower Bluebell, but now everyone thinks I named her after Twilight!
default_rolleyes.gif

I held off for a while, really no reason, it just didn't sound very interesting at first. I got the first one and was hooked. Devoured the others. I was really disappointed in the movie, it may have been better if I saw the movie first then read the books. <shrugs> There is no better movie theatre than in my mind, the guy I had there was a lot better looking. Didn't think the guy in the movie was all that hot.

I held off for a while, really no reason, it just didn't sound very interesting at first. I got the first one and was hooked. Devoured the others. I was really disappointed in the movie, it may have been better if I saw the movie first then read the books. <shrugs> There is no better movie theatre than in my mind, the guy I had there was a lot better looking. Didn't think the guy in the movie was all that hot.
LOL i have to agree. I watched the movie first.... I thought the movie was good enough to want to see "what happend" and borrowed the first and second book from my friends kids but haven't found the last two yet. The book was almost identical to the movie which really surprised me because movies are usually way different than the books and usually lack important info... but it was so close it was amazing. Anyhow the edward in my mind is definatly far better looking..LOL Maybe it's because i'm not a teen anymore and don't look at them as "good looking" the same way i used to..LOL

Now i just need to find the last two books.. am not sure i really wanted to BUY the books so am holding out for a loaner maybe..LOL might have to break down and buy them though!

Last edited by a moderator:
My step-daughter had been raving about the Twilight book series and said her mom loved them, too, so she loaned me the first one to read. I read it...some of it...I just couldn't get into it at all. All I ended up thinking was "what's the big deal?" and I gave her the book back. I'm just not into vampires I guess, though I enjoyed a couple of the Ann Rice books. Maybe I'll try to read it again, but only after I've finished listening to my audiobook of "Me talk Pretty One Day" several times. Way too funny.

I thought the movie was awful, so I won't waste my time on the books.

I wish Anne Rice would continue the Vampire Chronicles...

I am glad that teens have a book they can be excited about and enjoy it without the F - word every other word. I read it, didn't get it. But it wasn't meant for me!

The little town of Forks is just ecstatic with the people that visit from around the world! I think that is neat!

I thought the movie was awful, so I won't waste my time on the books.
I wish Anne Rice would continue the Vampire Chronicles...

If you haven't seen True Blood yet, SEE IT!!!! It's awesome. I think the first season is out on DVD in May and the second season starts in July, I believe. The series is based on books written by Charlaine Harris (I'm on my 7th in the series). It's much more adult-oriented (lots of sex, blood, etc.). Such great characters and it's actually funny, too (in a dark way).

Matt --

When I read these were really written for young adults, I worried I might not like them either (and may not -- haven't "listened" to them yet). It's going to be a hard act to follow because I won't be able to not compare these to Anne Rice's vampire series which of course is excellent.

Jill

Seen the movie first and REALLY liked it, so much watched it twice more with in the week.

Then I read the First book, Gosh the book was even better, so much more detail. I disagree with those of you who say it's ill written. Stephany Myers did an amzing job. I read all four books online within a two week period. Yes you can get them online at the following link http://community.livejournal.com/dazzzzzzle/36096.html, you can also read the book Twilight she was writting from Edwards point of view, but it was never finished and is only about half.Really wish she would have finished it because I like he point of view even better.

I liked Twilight so much my 2009 foals are all named after the movie!

Pleasant Views Mirical at Twilight "Edward"

Pleasant Views Twilight Celebration (if I were keeping this filly I would have called her Bella)

Third one unborn as of today.

Everyone has their own taste and that is perfectly OK. I total dislike Harry Potter and never have read or watched any of them. Just not my kind of story.

Everyone has their own taste and that is perfectly OK. I total dislike Harry Potter and never have read or watched any of them. Just not my kind of story.
I thought I was the only one in the WORLD who hadn't read or watched Harry Potter!!! I haven't done either with any of the books and movies. It just didn't seem like my kind of story, but H has watched all or most of the movies
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back