Turnout Critique

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard this, too. The problem is that I don't have any partners, yet!
default_laugh.png
Right now, I'm not overly impressed with my mini mares' work ethics. Alax never balks at work at all (he might balk at one of those black plywood cutout animals on the obstacle course, but not work in general....
default_rolleyes.gif
). I work him about 1 1/2 -2 hours 3-4 X a week in the summer, and although he will tire towards the end, he will always go when I ask.

I think the mares' work ethic will change eventually as we have more experience together and they are in better condition.

Myrna

Thats his genetics. His whole family gave a 110% when doing anything. Even the one mare who was the least likely to do any type of show work gave 110% to escapeing the fence.

All I have is a mare to drive, she is wonderful, brave and all that. But we drive alone.

Knowing what a hussy she is around boys, not sure I would want to drive her around them. Or she might surprise me and be good.
default_laugh.png

Wish Maggie was more like my Icelandic Mares. They don't get hussy at all. The act like nice geldings, even around stallions.

All my mares are hard workers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny reading the turn this topic took!

I love mares... I guess I can relate to their emotional side. Every gelding I've ever had but one has been as moody and broody as any mare. In fact, I've never seen a mare pout the way a gelding can. Geldings can be such pouters!

I think, as always, it depends on the horse. Kody has always gone full blast 100% of the time no matter what he's doing. He's the kind that throws his heart over the fence and the rest of him follows.
default_wub.png
My mother's Arab gelding was that way too, and while mine was less bold he had a quiet courage to carry through all the trauma his life had held and he literally went through heck for me because I asked him to. I love my geldings!! Turbo is less bold, the only one of the four geldings mentioned that is not an alpha personality, but he's bonding hard and fast at this point and I suspect will give me everything he's got when driving just because I asked him to if not because he'd naturally give that much. He certainly isn't lazy.

I think some mares just have higher standards and more demanding personalities. They'll run roughshod over you to get what they want but if you can earn their respect you'll have it for life. Others are sweeter, more steady and laid back, and those are more like your typical gelding. I think for either sex it's an issue of having the right personality for the person. For most handlers Kody is an incorrigible, unmanageable pain in the @$$. For me he shows the flip side of that and gives everything he has to the point of personal injury. My friend Breanna gets along great with her alpha mare because they have the same goal- both want to drive, drive, drive, and they're partners! She might not get along with a submissive sort of driver because she wouldn't respect her as a working partner. Mare or gelding (or for that matter, stallion), you've got to have a good personality match between the partners. Otherwise it's just going through the motions and no fun for anyone!

Leia

Undoubtedly you've all heard this one.

You tell a gelding..........................you ask a stallion.........................and you politely suggest to to mare.
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png
:wub

Latest posts

Back