Trip to Florida coming up...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
Deb and I will be in Florida from May29-June 6th (part of that time is set aside for other things already) and will be looking most likely in the Ocala down to the Ft. Meyers area for a place to move to in September. We would also like to visit a few farms while we are there...if time allows.

Suggestions on places to move to...and visit would be helpful!
default_smile.png

Other than Busch Gardens and the beach, this isn't really a "tourist" trip for us this time. We will be mostly focusing on farms.

I've lived in a few different areas in Florida, Monticello, (the rattlesnake capital of the world according to me) Live Oak, Lauderdale, but my home town was in Sarasota County. You will notice that there is a lot of differences between the Ocala area and Ft. Myers area. Around Ocala, the land is more "farmy" and grassy making it horse country. Once you get around Sarasota and south of there its much more "Florida" and touristy where the grass is much more sand based ground. When the horses graze, they literally will pull that blade of grass up out of the ground taking the root and a whole bunch of sand along with it. The humidity there is over the top and so are the bugs and the storms. My horses clocked a lot of down time in the barn under fans. But with it, you also have the best beaches ever, lots of restaraunts, malls, plenty of things to do all the time. Here's a hint, don't get a place with water on it or you'll have gators for residents and steer clear of canals for the same reasons.

If I would have to pick it would be the Ocala area. Horse Captail. You have a couple of farms down there

Silver Meadows Training Center

Candyland

if you Pm me i can get there address and Phone # so you can call Gail with silver meadows

and Bob with candyland.

if you move out your dates there is a show in ocala in june if you want i can send you those dates.

diane

Yeah, I saw that there was a show after we leave, but unfortunately our dates are not flexible, since we had to take vacation time and book our flights.

I wouldn't mind living in the Ocala area, but Deb is worried that I would be "isolated" since we know no one in that area, but we do know some people in the Sarasota area. I guess we'll just have to see what is available and where Deb can get a nursing job (which in Florida shouldn't be a problem).

I cant figure out how to pm you but if you email me I know of a nice horse farm in Punta Gorda, which is just north of Fort Myers and South of Sarasota, quite close to Sarasota but not as expensive to live!

You are welcome to stop by Wellspring Farm in Brooksville, half way between Ocala and Tampa. We're easy access to the interstate (I-75). We have about 30 horses, 2 babies on the ground, 3 more to go. The farm may come up for sale later this year if you want to have a look. Always glad to show off minis!
default_smile.png

You are welcome to stop by Wellspring Farm in Brooksville, half way between Ocala and Tampa. We're easy access to the interstate (I-75). We have about 30 horses, 2 babies on the ground, 3 more to go. The farm may come up for sale later this year if you want to have a look. Always glad to show off minis!
default_smile.png

Thanks! I will get in touch with you when it is closer to the time we will be in town!
default_smile.png

Hey Linda, do check out Punta Gorda as Endless suggested too. I also lived there (Charlotte County) with Bigfoot (hus # 1 PU). Its touristy, there are two major hospitals there, medical center, etc. all over that place as its a retirement community sorta and a mall. Beaches, boating, hotels, a fantastic regatta. Local horse shows there all the time with really awesome people, a little bit of nite life too, pretty shopping on the pier at Fisherman's Village and dinning. All in all its pretty and yes, much less expensive. About 20 minutes from Ft. Myers and 1 hour approx from Sarasota. Super major malls will be Sarastota Square Mall and Edison Mall is in Ft.Myers. Its all on Hwy 41. Wow, your making me homesick now!

From what I've seen on CL, that area is a little cheaper than some other areas, so I think we'll be focusing just south of Sarasota...but up near Brooksville it is fairly cheap as well (but that is a little too far from our friends I think). Plus I wanna go to school, so it needs to be near a college.

Linda, I know we already spoke about your visit but I didnt realize you wanted to be near a school. FGCU Florida Gulf Coast Univ. is between me and the Ft.Myers airport..only about 5 min. Great school, GaryO's daughter attends it, maybe he can give you some thoughts.I dont know personally anyone from the Brooksville area but I do know there are lots of mini people in that area. You have my #, call if you need anything.

Hi Linda,

I just left the Brooksville area which is a wonderful area to live. I also lived outside of Tampa for many year. If you would like to talk please PM me and I will give you a call. Florida is like two different places. Once you get to a certain point south things change a LOT.

Carol

Brooksville is close to several community colleges, plus St Leo University. 45 min drive to Tampa or Ocala for USF or Cental Fl schools.

Yes, we also live in Brooksville about 20 minutes from the Norberts of Wellspring Farm and Robin C of Picture Perfect Minis. Brooksville is on the Gulf Coast with easy acess to Tampa and the University of South Florida. It is also only about one hour south of Ocala where our club, The Orange Blossom Miniature Horse Club has 3 or 4 shows a year.

The Miniature Horse Club of South Florida also has 3 or 4 shows a year in Sarasota, which is about two hours south of B'ville.

Our daughter does go to school at FGCU in Fort Myers, I think you will find real estate to be higher priced in the Sarasota/Ft. Myers area then the areas north of Tampa.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Linda - you can come visit me. I'm in Parrish, east of Bradenton. There is a house and big barn for sale across the street from me - believe it is on 10 acres of which part of it is wetlands. Not sure of the price, located on County Road 675. I work in Sarasota - it takes me about 30 minutes to get to work. We're about 10 minutes from I-75. Nice area for sure. Wonderful feed store in town. Come visit me.

Barbie

Thanks everyone! Deb used to live in Brooksville (for a year before she moved to Oregon in '08) and before that lived in various parts of FL for the past 15 yrs, so she knows Florida pretty well...except where the best areas are for horses!

Barbie...I'm thinking I don't want wetlands...gators????
default_new_shocked.gif
default_unsure.png
But, I'd love to come visit since we'll be in that area.
default_saludando.gif

Bumping this up, since we are leaving for Florida on saturday morning....will try to look some of you up if time allows...not sure how busy our schedule will be yet...but would like to meet you!
default_saludando.gif

I'm hoping you two have a stress free enjoyable trip. I will ask though that you bring back some of that sunshine with you. We really really need some here now.

I also hope you are able to find the place you want to move to and the prices will be within your budget. Best to you and Deb on your trip.

Marie

Latest posts

Back