Trimming hooves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In answer to your question about the stool Mona - I am with Jill and Bess with the mechanics stool on rollers. It works wonders for a body clip - I am going to try it again for the feet , but I might also try your position with one knee down and one knee up with the leg/hoof resting on my leg. I will kneel on a piece of carpet - I can get those carpet squares at the pet store for a buck. Gosh it stinks to be getting older - everything hurts LOL. I just have to be really careful because my back went out totally on me last year April and I was stuck in the hospital unable to move at all for six days.
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png
Don't ever want a repeat of that.

Connie, to save your knees, you can try a few different things. You said you use carpet pieces, but even softer would be those gardener pads. They are made of soft pliable styrofoam, some are sort of like tubes, with the hollow cores.

Other than that, you can tru volleyball knee pads, or those styrofoam or gel knee pads that carpenters use for roofing etc. Works wonders, and saves the knees!
default_thumbup.gif

Hubby surprised me with a pair of the Barracuda nippers last Christmas...I wasn't sure I wanted them, but was tickled to get them anyway.

I have to admit that they do feel top heavy and a little large for my small hands, but once ya get used to them, they do a GREAT job. I only wish the manufacturer would put some instructions in with them... They did tell me (when I called) that the side where the ajdustment scew is located, should fit up against your hand, between your thumb and fore finger, that way they cut at the correct angle.

My first trim was done on my Angora goat, who had foundered before I adopted him, his hooves were horrible, and probaby 8 inches long and curled up. I've been working on him for several years now, gradually taking his hooves down, but with the horse hoof nippers, it was VERY difficult to trim his thick hooves (they really don't even look like goat hooves). Anyway, the Barracuda opens up wide enough to get around his hooves, and they cut through those hard deformed hooves like cheese! I was impressed with them.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I found another great use for thos Barracuda nippers (which, again, I love). Yesterday I had something I bought in one of those hard plastic cases. I couldn't count the number of temper fits I've had trying to open those little ... ... in the past. Well, yesterday it dawned on me to use the nippers and it was the easiest one of those things I ever opened! I know that's an "off lable" kind of use but it sure worked great!

Back