Trimming hooves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connie P

Reaction score
I have occasionally done my own hooves ( in between farrier visits) - but with a grinder. Well after several knicks on my own hands I have decided that I really should switch over to hoof nippers and a mini rasp.

I would really appreciate any and all comments on what nippers are best and where to find a mini hoof rasp. I have read about the Barracuda nippers but am wondering if there are any others. Just want to research a bit before I purchase.

Would love websites and all information anyone can provide for me. Thanks so much in advance!!

My sore hands will love you all!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have occasionally done my own hooves ( in between farrier visits) - but with a grinder. Well after several knicks on my own hands I have decided that I really should switch over to hoof nippers and a mini rasp.

I would really appreciate any and all comments on what nippers are best and where to find a mini hoof rasp. I have read about the Barracuda nippers but am wondering if there are any others. Just want to research a bit before I purchase.

Would love websites and all information anyone can provide for me. Thanks so much in advance!!

My sore hands will love you all!

Ozark Miniature Tack has mini nippers and rasp. And try wearing a tight fitting gloves to protect your hands.

Wendy

I use a regular hoof rasp and the nippers I got from Home Depot for about $10. I also wear garden gloves to protect my hands. I get those at the Dollar Store.

I wish I could wear gloves - they just bug me and I don't feel comfortable. I will try out tight fitting ones and see if that helps - Thanks!
default_smile.png

Ok - I searched for Mona's post about the Barracuda hoof nippers and after re-reading I think I am going to go with them.
default_smile.png

Sounds like they will work the best for me.

For me GE nippers are the best. I use them every day. As for a file the Bellotta Classic is the best one I use. Simmonds is also good.

Hello, I have a pair of Diamond clippers that are great as long as you have great hand strength. My Dad uses them with no problems, I have trouble getting them to nip all the way through. They are great for the foals though. I also have a pair of Bud Nippers. They slice through even the hardest hoof with ease BUT the are heavy and bulky. They took some getting used to.

I have read about the Barracuda nippers but have not purchaced them yet.

I really like my GE 12" nippers..I trim my own and for several other people.

They are easy to handle and have held in there for a couple of years now.

Ive had them sharpened once, and their still cutting great.

Also my good left and right hand hoof knives are a must..

A decent pair of leather gloves, and my 15' Diamond rasp seems to be all I need.

(although most mini owner like the smaller rasp- if you can handle it the big one is good too)

Ok - I searched for Mona's post about the Barracuda hoof nippers and after re-reading I think I am going to go with them.
default_smile.png

Sounds like they will work the best for me.
I did not like the feel of the barracuda nippers. They cut okay, but they're too large for my grip.

If there's a way you can try a pair first, I'd really suggest that. A lost of people really like them, they were just too awkward for me.

If you want a good nipper, but don't want to pay the $178 for a 12" GE, try the St. Croix 12" nipper. It's almost $50 less than the GE.

alvinfarriersupply.com has some of the lowest prices.

For a good rasp, simmons is fine, belota is good and cheaper than simmons. Diamond's are doo doo, as in dull dull.

I've used the grinder as well and had far fewer "booboo's" from it than an actual rasp which REALLY takes chunks out and really hurts.. lol i think either way you really need a good pair of gloves (which i never seem to think to use.LOL).

We recently got the Barracuda nippers and we LOVE them!!! Before then, we had a moderately expensive pair (don't remember the brand) and those were nice too. A good pair of nippers makes it much easier than an inexpensive pair which is what we initially had not knowing better. But, now we love the Barracuda nippers and those are what we prefer. For the rasps, I order the 10' ones from Jeffers Equine (best price I've found). Don't forget a handle for the rasp and a hoof knife.

GE nippers and Simmonds rasp and I do quite a few
default_biggrin.png
Be very careful with the hoof knife if you think a rasp takes a chunk!

Thanks so much everyone. I am going to research the GE Nippers also before making my decision. It just seemed to me that the Barracuda nippers had a great review and not much negative. I really want something that will glide through the hoof without much oomph.

I do know that a rasp takes chunks also - I guess I just have to try to work with the gloves.
default_wacko.png

I have a rule in my barn - "NO BLOOD" - but I seem to break my own rule quite often.
default_no.gif
default_yes.gif

Does anyone work with a back belt? My back is in rough shape and I need something to help with that.

I try to sit on a stool, but it is just awkward and doesn't work out very well. I don't think it is safe to sit on the ground for if one of the horses freaks out I need to be able to get out of the way. My horses are generally very well behaved, but you just never know.

Connie, I didn't post about my Barracuda nippers on here, as I am not sure they deserve a negative review, but I did sell mine and opt for the GE Nippers. They cut soooo easily too! The Barracudas, even though they were super sharp and also cut very easily, just felt clumsy and awkward in my hand. I couldn't get used to the feel of them, so decided to stick with the shape and feel of the more "conventional" nippers, and went with the GE. As for the rasp...hmmm, have had mine for years, bought cheap at the local feed store. Had the sharp end for the handled cut off by a welder, so now both ends are rounded and no chance of poking my horse. I never would be able to use a handle to rasp anyway.
default_smile.png

Thanks Mona for voicing your opinion. I know it is a personal preference. I want something that is not too bulky either so I will now check into the GE Nippers. I sure appreciate everybodys help.

Have a great day!
default_smile.png

Connie, when I replied, I meant to reply to the stool question, and totally forgot! :DOH! Anyway, what type of stool do you use? I bet something like a "milking" stool would work well. I don;t use a stool, but I do often turn one of those 4 gallon flatback buckets upsidedown and sit on it. If not, then I am normally in a kneeling position. If working on their left side, I will have my right knee right on the ground, and with my left leg, I will be up on my foot, and the horses foot will be rested there. (That is for a back foot. Front foot I usually try to hold but still in that same sort of position. I don't site on the floor, nor do I even get doen on both knees, as I want to be able to move fast if someone acts up.
default_yes.gif

I use a milk crate. It is just the right level. Also when I need a hoof stand I reach the horses hoof out and place it on a corner. That way I can do round the edge without rasping myself.

For a stool, we don't use one when trimming hooves but I use it when I body clip -- I have a mechanics stool or mechanics bench. I got it at Walmart. It's short and has rollers and a tray underneath the seat.

Jill and I must be twins
default_biggrin.png

Love my Barracuds and use 10' rasp from Jeffers -- mechanics stool, too (wheels & adjustable height!)

But, I get on my knees a whole lot for feet. Partly because I have a lot of the tiny ones and gosh, they're only 26-29" to the top of their backs, so not very much room to lift, etc.

Now, my B size -- they kill my back :DOH! Good as gold but, wow.

Those Barracudas did feel a little "clumsy" in my hands at first but, wasn't a big learning curve. I took my most tolerant little mare, sat down and began. We were both patient and very pleased with the results, the sharpness, quickness, etc. After about 3 of the tinies I was on a roll! 12 little horses later, I called it a day.

Did include one of the bigger gals and they just cut so fast that it even made that one more tolerable (my back).

They are super sharp, take it slow at first -- keep your fingers out of the way
default_wacko.png
I have about 3 pair of other conventional type nippers, all have pros/cons but these new ones have two features that appeal.

More pressure with a squeeze due to the leverage/springs, etc., which helps my small hands with some arthritis issues and the blades can be replaced!

In answer to your question about the stool Mona - I am with Jill and Bess with the mechanics stool on rollers. It works wonders for a body clip - I am going to try it again for the feet , but I might also try your position with one knee down and one knee up with the leg/hoof resting on my leg. I will kneel on a piece of carpet - I can get those carpet squares at the pet store for a buck. Gosh it stinks to be getting older - everything hurts LOL. I just have to be really careful because my back went out totally on me last year April and I was stuck in the hospital unable to move at all for six days.
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png
Don't ever want a repeat of that.

Latest posts

Back