Tricks for my 9 month old filly?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewToMini's

Reaction score
I got a mare and her (now 9 month old) filly 2 weeks ago, and I'd like to teach them (and especially the filly) some tricks
default_smile.png
What would you suggest? And are there any tricks that I can teach the mare, but that the filly is too young for? I want to teach them both to drive eventually, but the mare doesn't even know how to lunge right now (gotta work on that, but first I need to get both horses comfortable with being separated)

Glad you asked this! My girl is almost 8 months so I'll be watching this thread for suggestions also. We have begun target training with a clicker as of today and she caught on almost immediately:)

I'd start with basic ground manners first and have them well trained in that before moving on to tricks

I agee with Chanda- ground manners first, which for us includes some obstacle training - walking over tarps, bridges, poles, backing, etc. but mostly respecting space and leading well. Walk when handler walks, trot when handler trots, figure 8 around cones, trot over poles, etc. Take them new (safe) places so they get used to traffic, noise, people, wheelchairs, ..you get the idea. Be careful what "tricks" you train for; rearing and counting may look cute, but do you really want to encourage those behaviors? We have found that basic ground manners are key for any later training such as driving, trail, hunter, and agility.

Keep in mind, what is sooooo cute now when she is little will probably not be very cute when she is full grown. I would follow Targetsmom's suggestions. It is really important to build trust and I love teaching tricks, kind of like obedience training a dog.

Latest posts

Back