Trick Training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wolf Ranch

Reaction score
I am curious to know if anyone on the forum does trick training with their miniatures? I have been considering it as a continuation of their basic ground training and think it would be a fun way to get them to interact with me and give them an extra "job".

Where do you get your books and/or videos on how to trick train your horses? What tricks have you taught them to do, and which do you find easiest and hardest for them to learn? Obviously each horse will learn at a different pace but this would be a fun past time to do with them.

I am really looking forward to starting this with my two "soon to be geldings" and the mares after they foal next year (unfortunately both my girls are not so eager to work while preggo hormones are going on).

Looking forward to information and pics of anyone who does trick training!

My junior stallion, in my avatar, is trick trained. He is 3 now, and we have had him since he was 4 months old. We started him young and we have gotten him to "shake hands" with both hooves, rear up on command(like my avatar), stand on a mounting block, give kisses, paw out how old he is, kick a ball(with his front feet), and we are in the process of teaching him to bow(kind of difficult). Everything we taught him was done fairly easily and simply, hes too smart for his own good and such a fast learner. We taught him with treats and grain at first and telling him the command. Lotso f praise!! We slowly weaned him off the treats once he got the commands down, we still occasionally give him treats as rewards or if we want better results.

We didnt use any books or videos, just tried what we thought was best and what he would respond to best. The first he learned was actually the rearing on command, when we would go out to feed him his grain when he was about 6 months old we would tell him "Up!" and hold up the grain so he would rear up. He never does it without you telling him to, so dont let yours do the same where it will devolop into a bad habit. I find it best to devolop your own style that will work out best for the both of you. The "shaking hands" was the easiest and I have taught a couple other minis I had the same thing. Just have some treats, tell them shake repeatedly and lift up their hoof out in front of them and just shake it up and down. Put it down and give them the treat. Do it repitiously a few times a day for however long you like, they will eventually pick up on it and when they hear you say shake and bend down in front of them they will hold out their hoof. There are different ways to teach this, some people stand to the side and poke their shoulder. Mine caught on to both ways, I find the first way I described easiest.

If you want any more info on how I usually train just message me.... they may not be the best since I devoloped them myself lol but they worked for me! I will try to post a picture. I apologize for any spelling mistakes as well, I'm in a hurry but I had to respond since I didnt see any other replies!
default_yes.gif
Trick training is fun and Im sure you will enjoy it with your guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
264026_249856478364196_2618465_n.jpg

Rearing on command, I think hes about 2 here, a little under maybe.

260282_249857835030727_2816366_n.jpg

This is him shaking, he was about 2 here. Looks REALLY butt high and ridiculous, doesnt he?? lol he was on a slope

539992_455587021124473_360407663_n.jpg

Cash standing on the mounting block with my 11 year old niece(he was licking her hand, never nips but licks...our german shepherd is influencing him lol) ... this was early this Spring, I apologize for his mohawk! lol he is at the point where he can do all of his tricks without having his halter on or anything

We did a local educational event at our local feedstore with him earlier this year, where he got to showcase all his tricks for the kids and adults, many who dont know much about horses. He LOVES to show off, and he really enjoys his tricks. Loves kids and all the kids wanted a picure with him. It was too cute. For a 3 year old colt, he has the best manners and doesnt even act like a stallion, which is awesome!

Im on my tablet so when i have time to get on my laptop ill reply better. I have taught my gelding ( in my avatar) to rear on command and shake. i have another gelding that rears, shakes and counts. i just ask him a math problem and he counts out the number with his hoof!!! :

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, check out GiddyUpFlix.com. You can rent training videos there including trick training. I just joines and it's like $10 a month for unlimited. That way, if you need a different video you don't have to buy it, just rent it.

Latest posts

Back