Training Shafts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mel

Reaction score
I am trying to explain Training Shafts for driving to a friend. Does anyone have pictures that they can post that I can forward to her?

I do not have any pictures but what I use is two 8' pvc pipes. I have the spot that goes through the shaft loops on the harness wrapped so they will not just slip out but I can get rid of them if there is a problem. I ground drive with these poles until I know the horse will not spook if he hits the shafts with his butt. He can bump these poles and they give because they are not fastened together in the back. I work at both a walk and trot with the shaft poles and do a lot of figure 8's so he can feel them back there.

I tried to explain to her about using PVC pipes and making a squared off u shape and how it is attached to the harness so that it can be quickly removed in case of a problem. But I really need to show her a picture of one so that she can get see the concept. I found a picture of one of the drag pole types but she is not ready for that yet.

I just happen to have some shots of training shafts that Mike McCabe uses.

TrainingShafts1.jpg

TrainingShafts2.jpg

I just use 2 long poles. They drag the ground behind the horse. That way they do make a bit of noise so they get used to something back there.

So, you use 8' PVC's on minis? Good info to have. I would have said they'd be shorter than that. I agree that the drag PVC's are a really good training device.

Last edited by a moderator:
THANKS FOR THE PICS! Thats exactly what I was looking for. I like to use the training shafts before I go to the drag.

I just happen to have some shots of training shafts that Mike McCabe uses.
TrainingShafts1.jpg

TrainingShafts2.jpg
[SIZE=12pt]That is what I use also and they work great and are inexpensive to make. But of course mine aren't that colorful
default_new_shocked.gif
default_rolleyes.gif
[/SIZE]

Joy

Would you mind giving the dimensions on those?
default_smile.png
I need to make some.

Latest posts

Back