Training Problem

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taya

Reaction score
I am currently training my mare for halter. She hasnt been shown for a few years so im starting from scratch (ive only had her a few months)

I know her old owner used food rewards during training, which I dont.

The mare is constantly nipping/mouthing me (not biting and theres no aggression) it seems she looking for food rewards in my hand and pocket.

What is the best way to go about correcting this behaviour.

Thanks
default_smile.png

I would get her to back off that lead rope, any time she wants to come forward & lean to beg for treats, back her up and get her to get out of that "leaning" into you.... and work on getting to be back away from her on the lead.... and then when it's "your" idea...... use hay or grass (something different) with out leaning and using the right part of her neck to stretch for you.... Also sounds like she has lack of respect on the lead when they want to be up there in your pockets begging..... so I would really work on getting her to back off from you and "politly & lightly" when asked stretch with out leaning to show her neck.......Does that make any sense??

Show her far enough off the lead where she can't reach you. One mistake I made when starting to show the minis was crowding them. If they can't reach you, they can't nip at you...

Andrea

Latest posts

Back