Training In-Hand Trail

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spellcasterminis

Reaction score
I've done trail with the big horses and read the rule books, but I still have some questions for training the minis. One of my big questions is about side passing. I'm used to giving leg cues, or using my hand to give cues were my leg would be when I'm on the ground. How do you teach the minis to do it and cue them in the show ring? What other obstacles seem to be problem areas when training and showing in trail?

Thanks

I start out by using my hand just as you said, cueing them where your leg would be if you were riding them (and were very tiny! :bgrin ). I also use a vocal cue at the same time, I use Gee and Haw. Eventually, with practice, I progress to just the cue on the lead and the vocal cue.

That is what I do too. I found that the minis were so much easier to train to sidepass than my big trail horse! You might want to start up against a fence so they can't walk forward and make sure they are crossing their feet properly - which is a lot easier to see with the minis! And reward when they take even one sideways step. Good luck!

Well that's what I've been doing, using cues like I would if I was riding. Plus, working on turns on the forehand and rear. I just wasn't sure what cues were allowed in the show ring. I take for granted you can't touch them in the ring to cue. Someone said they snapped their fingers as a cue for sidepassing. I'm sorry, but I'm not that cordinated lol.

I too was a frustrated "past" rider and thought I'd never get the hang of doing this from the ground. I have to tell you that these minis pick things up easier than most big horses do.

I was told to have them face the fence and try to position their head just as you would if you were riding depending on which side you're asking them to go. Then use your hand against their shoulder , side or hip to move them OR use the end of the lead to flick at their hip. They'll get the idea to move and by praising them they learn quickly. I say "side" for my verbal cue. You're correct in thinking you cannot touch them in the show. You want to practice until you can get your lead hand away from their head too so the judges don't even THINK you're touching.

Also the turns on the forehand and rear are good to get them to learn the crossover.

YOu cant touch them at all and it is best if your hands are always visable to the judge.

I start out tapping there side, then eventually teach them to the word over. So like with my gelding I can walk out there and tell him over and he will go until I tell him to stop.

You know when you got yourself a good obstacle horse is when you don't even need to take your hands off the lead and just use voice cues. It took Red up to his third year to get it in his head without me having to motion with my hand for one side. Couse I really wasn't pushing him, me and him were learning together lol.

Latest posts

Back