Training Harnesses...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponygurl

Reaction score
Alright so I am looking into buying a new training harness for my boy, and I am not sure which training harness to get - leather or nylon. The Nylon ones are cheaper than the leather ones. What kind do yiou prefer and why? Anyone have the nylons harness? What are your thoughts on them? Are they more likely to chafe? Thanks a ton everyone!

Leather leather leather! Leather will break in an emergency. Nylon will not and it extremely difficult to cut. Always go with leather.

Leather. I never have cared for nylon harness. For one thing, most nylon harnesses are so poor fitting and cheaply made.

A good leather harness will last for years and really isn't that hard to keep clean--at least I've never found it difficult to clean.

Leather!

Nylon has way too many downsides to justify the cost. (Doesn't break well, doesn't fit well, rubs horse bad, isn't comfortable on horse, generally isn't made well,...)

However, poor quality leather harnesses are NOT any safer/comfortable/fit well. I wouldn't spend less than $250 on a leather harness.

Look at the $250 starter harnesses that are at minitack.com and see what you should start with. The nice thing is, you can even start showing and enjoying in those harnesses if you take care of them!

Andrea

You might as well just save you money and get a nice leather harness. Nylon IMO you are just throwing money away. Also you might look into a nice quality harness from actual miniature horse tack stores cause you can find cheap leather harnesses that don't fit well at all either.

I was going to say the same thing that everyone else has already said.

Nylon is not fit for any kind of harness. Way too many problems.

Ditto on the Leather already said. Regency miniatures has some links for places to get decent leather harness and she has some photo teaching pages on how to harness too.

Latest posts

Back