training a horse to drive

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genie

Reaction score
We would like some feedback with regard to approximate length of time a mini horse in training to drive, should be on the cart at each training session.

My personal feeling is that 1/2 hour on a field or grassy area is plenty at a session, but we have heard of trainers who will work a horse for much longer periods in one session.

I'm no expert, I just have owned quite a few driving horses and have been involved w/ some of their training as well as observing other peoples' horses in training. I personally think that if it's a true 30 minutes of work, excluding grooming, tacking up, and untacking, it is a substantial amount of time to spend on instruction at one setting for a horse, but I also feel that 45-60 minutes is not "too long" for the horse if that's what the trainer / owner desires.

It entirely depends on the horse. Older horses can have longer lessons, but with younger horses like 2-3 yr. olds, I stick to shorter ones. Not only are their muscles young and underdeveloped, but their brains can be, too.

A good trainer can "read' each horse to determine what the horse is taking in and what he is just tolerating that isn't going to "sink in". There is no point in overworking a horse to the point that work is not effective.

Myrna

personally for me it depends on the horse. I don't include grooming/harnessing time as "training" time, unless thats the point the horse is at. Work begins when the horse is hitched not standing there taking a nap while I brush the dirt off. It all depends on the horse and what that horse needs. If we are working on something and getting what I want, I'll quit in 15 minutes or go off and do something else for another 15 minutes or so depends on what the horse needs and what the level of fitness, and what the end goals for that horse and owner are.

Karen

Thank you to those who replied. I personally feel that overdoing a single training session can "sour" a horse. As most people have said, you need to be able to read your horse and know how much they can handle.

I appreciate the responses.

Mominis said:
I just listen to my horse. When he tells me he "gets" what I am trying to get across to him, I quit.
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Or if he's fit and mature and "gets" whatever it is at the beginning of a session, I'll just quit doing that thing and go do something else he enjoys as a reward.

When I ground-drove my youngster for the first time and he had a moment of "I really get it," I stopped right where we were and stripped off the tack as an immediate reward. He took off bucking and leaping, ran out his frustration and confusion and energy, then came back and I tacked him up again for another short session which he attacked with gusto. He was quite proud of himself by the end. I gave him a couple days off to think about it then did a short five minute session in the bridle around his paddock, then took him out for a full fifteen or twenty minutes that weekend and with so much time to mentally process the earlier lessons he did just fine. Push them too hard, too fast, and they're going to get sour and resentful. But once those initial lessons are in place sometimes you can leapfrog ahead quite quickly without doing any harm. I just follow my horse's lead!

Leia

default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif

Or if he's fit and mature and "gets" whatever it is at the beginning of a session, I'll just quit doing that thing and go do something else he enjoys as a reward.

When I ground-drove my youngster for the first time and he had a moment of "I really get it," I stopped right where we were and stripped off the tack as an immediate reward. He took off bucking and leaping, ran out his frustration and confusion and energy, then came back and I tacked him up again for another short session which he attacked with gusto. He was quite proud of himself by the end. I gave him a couple days off to think about it then did a short five minute session in the bridle around his paddock, then took him out for a full fifteen or twenty minutes that weekend and with so much time to mentally process the earlier lessons he did just fine. Push them too hard, too fast, and they're going to get sour and resentful. But once those initial lessons are in place sometimes you can leapfrog ahead quite quickly without doing any harm. I just follow my horse's lead!

Leia

I appreciate your comments and I agree.

I don't think there is a blanket "timeframe" or limit that a horse can be worked... it depends on the horse! You don't say the age, previous training, physical or mental condition of the individual horse. Some may tolerate only ten minutes, other may tolerate two hours. I've seen draft horses being broke to drive that are under harness almost all day (with long breaks).

The finesse and ability of the trainer also makes the sessions more easy or more grueling.

Andrea

I never work to "time frames" as such, whether it be a single, particular lesson, or the entire process from beginning to end. The horse always lets me know, and it is up to me to be paying attention and listening in order to get the best results. This is one of the facets of training that I enjoy the most ... the
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif
moments when you realise that a particular step has been understood, and the next one can begin. For some horses, those moments arrive thick and fast, for others, a "slow and steady" approach is best.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I am training a horse to drive I always start with round pen work. I think my sessions usually last about an hour (depending on the horse). That includes round pen work and arena or road driving. Most of the horses I have trained have been 4-6 years old. Just my method.

Latest posts

Back