Trailering Horses -- To Tie or Not To Tie?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When you haul your horses, do you tie them or not?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Always tied. The one time we didn't l don't to this day know why the back door opened on the highway but it did and if that filly wouldn't have been tied to the wall she would have jumped out. You do feel when the back door of a trailer swings open while driving but l'm not sure you would know about the one that just slides if a horse decided to test that and it wasn't locked. l think they brace themselves more when tied then loose so if something was to happen like a sudden stop they are more alert then one walking around loose that could loose there balance and fall even. lt's like seat belts sometimes it's the answer and helps and sometimes you would have been better without one but who knows ahead of time....

Usually I do not tie, I have a small converted cargo trailer so it's like a large box stall inside. On short trips with older mares, I will often tie both, but long trips Like them to be able to ride backwards (tie rings are only at the front). I would like to make some dividers to have individual stalls, and then I would use some type of break away tie.

Both...

Mike has always hauled loose, and I have always hauled tied.

I like to know where they are at in a trailer, and know that they have the dividers to lean on for balance and cornering. But I have never hauled long distance either.

Mike likes to haul loose, he says that they balance themselves, and find the spot in the trailer that is most comfortable for them. He says they will usually stand facing the rear if given the opportunity. On a long haul, (ie, cross country) I can see his point in being loose. When he brought Maidy back to MN from MT, she was able (and did) lay down to rest her legs, and move about the trailer freely to relieve bordom and her legs getting cramped up.

So I can see it both ways...
default_wink.png
:

Nancy
default_smile.png

IMHO I don't think there is really any right or wrong way to transport a horse. It is what you and

your horses are comfortable with. My mini's, I will say are not tied and this is just my way. When we haul the large mules they are always tied!! I do however, have a camera in the trailer I can watch them

with just in case there are any problems that need to be handled...

I like the "it depends" answer from above......... There's always an exception to every situation.

We don't like to tie, if we can help it......but there are situations where it does end up safer in the longrun to tie.

For some reason, the needing to tie has always been involving a stallion.......funny that way.......
default_rolleyes.gif
:

If given the option, horses prefer to position themselves for optimum balance with their butts facing forward. If the trailer allows for that freedom and they are not tied and are good travelers, that's the best way to haul, in my opinion.

I've been witness to a couple of different accidents (fortunately we were not involved personally). In both situations the horses were tied. The first was minor, but the poor horses in the front of the trailer had their heads smacked into the front of the trailer and came off with bloody noses, swollen eyes, etc.....

The second accident was winter time on an icey road. The trailer slid off the road. Horses were tied and their necks were broken.
default_sad.png

MA

Latest posts

Back