trailer training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1keegan

Reaction score
We have a small horse trailer with a ramp. We're looking for advice on training our 7 week old colt to load, as we need to bring he & his mama (who loads well) for a 2 hour ride next weekend.

He won't just follow his mama into the trailer. We tried coaxing with grass and treats, but he rears & freaks. We sat for a long time on the end of the ramp with him on a lead (with his mama inside). Eventually we sort of just shoved him up the ramp and he was content to stand there with his mama for a minute, then he naturally was afraid to walk back down the ramp.

He was even more afraid the next day when we approached the trailer.
default_sad.png

I'm sure there's a method to this, that as newbies, we haven't a clue. Any help would be appreciated so that he can have a positive trailering experience next weekend.

Thanks,

LG

I'm actually doing this right now with 2 of my yearlings. But I have to get them in the back of a utility van. Fun! I'm in the begining stages right now but I have a ramp made with traction all the way up. I first have laid it on the ground flat. With feed and a clicker I've been allowing them to step on it with 1 foot. I click and reward for the behavior. Then get 2 feet. Same thing click and reward. I keep doing this until I have all 4 feet standing on it. Once they are comfortable I then procede to have them walk fully from one side to the other. Once they hit grass I stop and click reward. Both my babies have mastered that so now I'm putting the ramp flat on a hill. Same techniques with the walking and click reward. As they progress I'll make the ramp slant more and more. Having them go up and down it.

As this is a 7 week old foal I wouldn't even be attempting to trailer train it. If you put a lead shank on him and he flips you could easily break his neck. For the time being just carry him aboard or put an arm or lead shank around his rump and "assist" him to board. There is plenty of time to "train" him to it later on. Once he has been on there and you give him a nice gentle ride he will build up confidance and it will get easier each time.

For an older horse that doesn't load easily you need to teach it to lead properly. Put a lead shank on a good sturdy barn halter and put consistant pressure on the lead without pulling. Be sure to keep you hand steady when he steps forward so that the lead rope goes instantly slack when he steps forward - this is his "reward". Once you teach him to lead you can take him anywhere by just simply putting pressure on the lead. Trailers are scary "traps" to horses. It helps if you can open a front door letting it look like he can walk on through a more airy, lighter space rather than a dark cave.

The thing I don't like about clicker training with horses is that it only teaches specific behaviours. You aren't teaching him to lead which will take him anywhere but only to put a foot on a ramp. You need to do soooo much more teaching with a clicker.

As this is a 7 week old foal I wouldn't even be attempting to trailer train it. If you put a lead shank on him and he flips you could easily break his neck. For the time being just carry him aboard or put an arm or lead shank around his rump and "assist" him to board. There is plenty of time to "train" him to it later on. Once he has been on there and you give him a nice gentle ride he will build up confidance and it will get easier each time.

Ditto.... just pick him up and put him in the trailer, less traumatic for you and the baby.

Yep, at 7 weeks they are easy to load--you just pick him up and put him in. Same with unloading, if he is afraid to walk down the ramp after his mom you just pick him up and set him outside.

Funny story--one year we were showing a Morgan mare and foal at the local all breed show. Colt would have been about 3 1/2 months old, and he was fantastic about loading--lead him up to the trailer & he'd just jump right in (the trailer we had at that time didn't have a ramp). When we were leaving the show a friend's husband was watching, and in his experience foals didn't load well. I led our colt up to the trailer & this guy dashes forward & goes to grab the colt to throw him into the trailer...because that's the way he always loaded his foals!....and this colt just ignored him and jumped out of the guy's grasp & into the trailer.
default_laugh.png
You should have seen the look on the guy's face!!!
default_new_rofl.gif

I agree with Lori....

So long as the experience is not scary, and everyone stays calm, just carrying him in is the best way for everyone.

You could try a bit of teaching, proper, when he is a bit older, maybe, all my Arab foals had to actually learn as it is a trifle more difficult to carry a three month old Arab foal than it is a seven week old Mini, and a lot more difficult to get it in the back of a van, BTW!!!

I have to say the Arab foals did load OK, but they were all really well halter trained, as well, ie, they knew what "walk on" meant!!

And MiniMor, yes, I had nearly the exact same experience, but I found, as I am sure you did, that the more force you use the less responsive the animal, and since we are talking about animals that, full grown, have the size and the bulk to make you listen to them when they say "No" I tended to not really want to even start using force.

Having said that, I would like to point out that I do not believe any of us is suggesting you should not, at some point, tech the foal to load properly, merely that we are saying that since this is a one off and the foal is still small it is a better idea to take the softer option!!

Latest posts

Back