Trailer ramp springs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxane Martin

Reaction score
Hi.

I have a 1973 Shoop 2-horse bumper pull trailer with a ramp load. This is a trailer that I bought used that my husband modified some to permit its use for minis. It's worked out pretty well, except that the ramp has no lift-assist springs. So the ramp is too heavy for me to lift up to close alone, or to lower the ramp either.

In the old days, when this trailer was built, there would have been big springs on each side. Nowadays I hear that ramp trailers have a spring/piston on the bottom.

My son-in-law has offered to weld on springs or whatever so that I can lower/raise the ramp alone, but he needs pictures to know what I need. So, would anyone have any pictures of a ramp-load trailer with some sort of lift-assist so we can figure out what to do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Roxane

I have the same situation with my trailer (a 2006 Wrangler).....great trailer, but this aging back could use a little help!
default_wink.png

Can't help you with pictures but I can tell you the difference in the old ramps and new is huge LOL! I had an old trailer with a ramp so heavy that two people strained to lift it, but the ramp on my Sundowner is so easy I can lift it one handed. Hold out for better one if you can
default_smile.png
You might check the websites for Sundowner or some of the other trailer manufacturers, maybe they have specs.

Jan

Latest posts

Back