Trailer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry k

Reaction score
I have a 17ft cargo trailer 2 axels and rated for 10k lbs. I want to convert it so I can haul 1 or 2 horses in it. Does anyone know what I would have to do or should I just keep looking for a 2 horse trailer bumper pull under 2k to start? I just bought a farm and now buying a horse of my own so I don't have to race and ride others horses. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row so to speack.

If anyone could help me out and or some advice that would be great thank you in advance

Hi! And welcome! I'm glad you said it was a double axle because that's the most important thing. The other two important features would be a sturdy floor (with rubber mats) AND ventilation. You're going to have to cut out some windows on either side of the trailer for air flow. A metal hook or two welded both inside and outside the trailer would be a good idea too. These would be for both tying the horse and for long hauls, tying a bucket of water.

I'm sure some other folks will have additional suggestions......... I do think you should compare the cost of the changes to your cargo trailer versus buying a used horse trailer with everything you need. (If shopping for a used trailer, be sure to check the flooring! If it hasn't been maintained properly, expect the wood to be rotting.)

Welcome. I had a horse in a trailering accident years ago. You want to make sure that anywhere you cut out for windows is rolled after, one of the horses got badly cut by the metal where the window came out. A solid floor and mats is a must. I would suggest rings instead of hooks, you don't want anything they can get caught on. If you put any dividers in I'd make sure they can be removed with pins easily if needed. We had to use a blow torch to take the trailer apart on the side of the highway to get the horses out. Not an experience you want to have. Also a human escape door at the front or if possible one big enough for the horses as well. If you're dividing it for more than one horse remember that they travel best if left loose in a box stall or at least given more space so they can spread their legs to catch their balance. Let us know what you come up with?

Sometimes the "ride" in a cargo trailer is pretty rough for minis. By the time you spend the time and money converting a cargo trailer you may be at or above the cost of buying a used mini trailer. The suspension is also correct for the weight of these little guys as are the safety features.

Thank you very much it has a front door already and it's 3/4 inch ply on floor. I am def going to price all out first I live in jersey so most trailers I would by are like in AZ and like 10-16+ hr drive away I know floor is strong enough it can hold 10,000lbs and has a suspension system on it. It is a 2019 trailer I bought in 19 brand new. I will def get pricing for conversion compared to used trailer at 2k.

Reactions: Taz
If you decide to convert what you have you will have to keep very close watch on the floor. Urine will have no where to go. Unless you are just doing short hauls, you will have to deal with it. That means pulling mats out, hosing out, and drying. This is true with any solid flooring. Plywood will rot faster than the usual 2 x 6 boards found in livestock trailers.

I live in jersey so most trailers I would by are like in AZ and like 10-16+ hr drive away

Why is everything we want always across the country. AZ wouldn't be much of a drive for me but most of the trailers I've found that I would want are in Texas or on the East side of the Mississippi. Go figure.

Whatever you decide keep us posted.

I'm also going to move this to the main "Miniature Horse Forum" on here to see if we can get you more answers. I know we have members who have done trailer conversions AND members with factory built mini trailers.

MajorClementine, post:

I'm also going to move this to the main "Miniature Horse Forum" on here to see if we can get you more answers. I know we have members who have done trailer conversions AND members with factory built mini trailers.

Ok thank you very much

That sounds like a terrifying experience, Taz! I'm sorry that happened to you.
It all worked out. I now know more and take more precautions when trailering, and drive myself when possible. It was driver error, I wasn't driving.

Latest posts

Back