Trailering

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ponylove

Reaction score
Hi all!

My husband and I recently purchased our first horse trailer to go along with our first mini horse!:) It is a 2018 Calico slant load.

My mom is disabled and can’t make it out to the barn to meet Max so we are going to be bringing him to her. My question is on the side door there is a chain to go across for a large horse to keep them away from that side door. Would you suggest we make that exact chain or move that chain lower to accommodate a mini? It is only about an 20 minute drive thankfully. Max traveled 5 hours on a trailer when we purchased him so we think 20 mins should be okay for the little guy.

attached are pictures of the inside of the trailer... this is our first time trailering is there any modifications we should think about does it look safe for our little guy? We love him so much and want to make sure he is as safe as possible.

Attachments

• D3CE9DEF-4BE5-4618-A135-BCBD49A390A3.jpeg
    D3CE9DEF-4BE5-4618-A135-BCBD49A390A3.jpeg
    52.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 4894E252-1CB5-4A89-9EAC-87A13F06FB4D.jpeg
    4894E252-1CB5-4A89-9EAC-87A13F06FB4D.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 18
  • FE40B1F1-E15F-400B-818B-9EC63B3B3A07.jpeg
    FE40B1F1-E15F-400B-818B-9EC63B3B3A07.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 18
I would just let him be loose in the trailer, but go ahead and fasten that chain; hanging loose might be an issue. I wouldn't worry about how high/low it is. The door can be closed, right?? She will be thrilled meeting him.
My son came over recently; had not been to our house in a while and he hadn't seen my horse in a couple of years. While he and my husband were chatting in the kitchen, I brought Dapper Dan into the house to say hello. My son got a kick out of seeing Dapper Dan up close. And Dapper Dan always enjoys being the center of attention.

I agree with Cayuse about preventing the door from being opened. My mini is a puzzler. He can unlock not only his stall, but the front deadbolt, door, and screen door. I have forgotten to padlock his stall a time or two,and looked out the front window,and found him grazing. He will also open the car doors just to nose around looking for trouble. He can open jars as well. Until you know what your rapscallion is capable of, err on the side of caution. Marsha, I love that you bring your mini inside too! Ponylove, you're mini is so adorable! I envy your nice trailer!

Hi all! Thanks for all the Reply’s! I just wanted to send an update... Max did fantastic being loaded and unloaded and the trip to my parents went fantastic! We are so excited for all the adventures that are yet to come with our boy!

Latest posts

Back