Trail Drive!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheryl

Reaction score
Little Don trotted for nearly 2 hours straight and we had just the best time on our trail ride. He was just great his first time out on a real trail complete with bridge crossings and deer! A good friend that I used to ride with hauled us out. Don and I headed out on our own, and after she got some cantering and hillclimbing out of the way, she joined us and we had a really nice ride and drive together session. Her horse is gaited, but Don kept a nice working trot to keep up with her in "foxtrot" mode and it worked out fabulous. What fun!!!

Heading out on our own. We also did some bridge crossings on our own and he went over them like a champ!

DSCN2662.jpg

Side by side with the big horse

DSCN2673.jpg

Not too worried about the HUGE dropoff below

DSCN2678.jpg

Hi Sheryl,

It looks and sounds like a great time, and what a beautiful trail/road!

What harness are you using?

I look forward so much to driving Mingus...patience, patience!

Beautiful pictures. I especially love the first picture. Just gorgeous. Glad you had a good time too.

Is wonderful you were able to get out and about! Looks like you were having a lot of fun.

Someday.. Maggie and I will get to do that! :bgrin

Susanne, I have an inexpensive Biothane harness that I bought directly from an amish harness maker. Not what I would use for shows, but really suitable for our trail driving! It took me about a month to get it adjusted correctly, but it fits him and he pulls so much better in it compared to his old harness.

This route I took would make an excellent "mini trail drive" and is located near Carnation. Next time, we are going to head the other way that will take us by more people and Remlinger Farms. I imagine we will create quite a stir!

Sheryl, I would love to do that sometime!!! Please let me know if you want some company...Ally and I would love to join you! I bet Leia and her little man would like to as well! I have a big trailer.... hinthinthint!

Heyyyy, I thought you worked on Fridays? Otherwise I would have been pestering you to go somewhere. Kody and I are booooored and really want to get out on some trails for exactly the kind of drive you just did. Take me with you somewhere this weekend??
default_pray.gif
: LOL.

Lisa leaves for the summer on the 27th so after next Friday I'm open every day I'm not working. Let me know! Amy, you too my dear.
default_yes.gif
:

Leia

Edited to add: Forgot to ask- where'd you find the cool Toklat pad? Do you like it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do work on Fridays. I don't mean to bum people out, but my little sister died of advanced breast cancer not long ago, and I have taken some time off from work for the grieving process and settling some affairs. My good friend that hauled me out decided that I really needed to get out and do something fun, and it was good tonic!

I drove by myself the first 30 minutes, and we traveled pretty much side by side the next 90 minutes. I feel very confident taking Don there with or without company since he does so well on the trail. It is just funner with company! I was amazed at how well it worked going with a big horse - Don slow jogged when she walked and did more of a working trot when she Foxtrotted.

Next weekend, I think we are going to take Don up to her place to stay for a few days so we can go several times without that the longish haul (it is almost one hour from my place to the trail, she is only minutes away). I am guessing it is 45 minutes or so haul from Monroe too. If all goes well, we will do 3 or 4 ride/drives over memorial weekend. If any of you think you might want to join us for any, let me know - it would be fun! Next weekend we are going down the Remlinger Farm direction of the trail so I am sure we will attract a lot of attention!

I am game to go other times too, and since it stays light so late, there are a lot more possibilities. I can get off work early on Fridays from time to time - so it would work to head over there in the late afternoon too! Also, any weekend without shows or other major committments and we could plan a trail drive on Sat or Sunday! Just email me [email protected]

Sheryl

Latest posts

Back