Trail Clinic and Challenge

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renolizzie

Reaction score
Thanks to some help from some friends in my area and some useful advice from the folks at Lil Beginnings forums, I am back on the road officially today for a nice four mile drive. The little guy and I did really well.

I have worked on whoa but also stand. The little guy is doing much better at standing still in the harness after a whoa.

He saw a billy goat on a string. I thought he was worried about this large weird medallion that was by the gate. The property had lots of junk everywhere and didn't realize what was worrying him until the billy goat stood up. The horse started whinnying and then wanted to walk to the goat. I got the horse to stop moving with a whoa and then he started dancing. I told "No you don't" in a firm gentle voice and got him to stop dancing. I told him "Stand". I then let him take a good look at the billy goat. Of course, while all this was happening a car was coming by but the people were really nice and slowed way down and the horse wasn't worried about cars just that billy goat. It was great to see me and the horse communicating well together. What a good feeling.

I definitely still had a bit of trouble on the turn when we were heading back home. I got him circled around to the left and then decided to try a full circle in the intersection to the right. Oh no, Mr. Horsey says nothing doing. [Don't worry we were on a dirt intersection with no cars coming. The intersection was big so I thought that it was a good place to give it a try.] I ended up backing him up to and trying the right turn again since he just wasn't making it around due to not wanting to turn properly. We worked through that pretty good and got going in the right direction.

I tried again a bit later and we did a super circle in both directions. Yeah!!!!

Anyway, I think I am going to try a local trail trial clinic and they are having a challenge the next day. I am thinking about doing the in hand challenge since I don't think I am ready for obstacle courses yet. What do you think? Should we give it a try? Should I sign up for the driving challenge and try to do it even if I think we will suck?

Any thoughts?

I should add that the clinic will cover trail driving and in hand obstacles and I have 6 weeks to keep practicing before then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job. Its a wonderful feeling when the horse and you are on the same page and communicating well. I say go for it, but know the limitations of your horse and training level and if you don't feel right about doing something don't do it.

Karen

Great job. Its a wonderful feeling when the horse and you are on the same page and communicating well. I say go for it, but know the limitations of your horse and training level and if you don't feel right about doing something don't do it.

Karen
Thanks. I was pretty stoked about the drive when I got home today. Wiseguy has never been afraid of cars but he was worried about trucks with long trailers that rattled like horse trailers and Hubby drove by him with the trailer a bunch of times over several days and it paid off. A horse trailer and truck went by us and the little guy wasn't worried at all.

I talked to the people at the clinic and they sound nice and they know I am a beginner and there will be other people with minis at the clinic but I couldn't decide if I should spend the extra $25 on the trail drive challenge. I have to decide in advance. I am definitely doing the in hand trail challenge since the little guy and I have been working on being a team. We have been walking the neighborhood and he is a pretty calm guy. We get to do the in hand obstacles clinic and then do the challenge the next day. I thought that the experience for the horse would be good and for me too. We would be working around a lot of people and other horses. The little guy can get kind of excited about other horses and start whinnying.

They are having a driving trail clinic portion, I found out. So, I may go ahead and put in for the driving challenge the next day and just not do it if we are not up to it.

I am looking forward to seeing how other people handle their horses and how the different horses handle the different challenges. I am kind of excited to go to something like this. No pressure and close by and nice people. I think the horse and I will have fun.

That sounds like a wonderful opportunity, Renolizzie, and you seem to be approaching it with the perfect attitude. Beginners like you are a delight to the rest of us! So fun to watch your relationships develop. Keep sharing your progress with us please! We'd love to see pictures if you get a chance.

Where is this clinic, anyway?

Leia

Lela,

Here is a photo of my little guy. Thanks for the encouragement. It has been an absolute joy owning my miniature horse. The clinic is going to be in Fallon in September. Everything out here is far away but that will be only about 30 or 40 miles from here.

RenolizzieHithching Post #1 030.jpg

Back