Toys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelleyS

Reaction score
Have any of you found any toys that your mini's like? I know there is some type of a ball with a handle that is for horses to entertain themselves. My sister bought one for her full size mare and she turned her nose up at it though. Just wondering if any of you have tried anything like that. For sure it will depend on the individual horse whether they enjoy something like that or not.

Hi Shelley, glad to see you got validated. Mine LOVE thegreat big WalMart balls, empty clean chlorox qt bottles, soda bottles with no tops, stuffed animals are a big favorite!

I think those balls are called Jolly balls and I have the small size. About 30% of my herd love them and the rest ignore them. My horses also play with empty icecream buckets, knotted rope toys (they are for dogs, in fact, they stole it from my dog) and they really like my garden hose. I finally cut up some old hose and tied big knots in it so they would leave the hose alone while I'm filling the tanks. They still like to pull the hose out and spray everybody! I guess its more fun when water is coming out! It is hard to tell what they will like. try the cheap stuff first before you drop a lot of $ only to find out they won't play with it. Linda

Our babies never like the "official" horse toys! Stuffed animals, sticks, and baby horse blankets that have been pulled off gates are their favorites! LOL.

MA

Yes, anything they AREN'T suppose to play with!!! The one thing they ADORE and that I have bought for each of them, minis and full size are the lik-it products with the hanger. I put one in ever stall and helps stop boredom. They especially like the banana flavour and cherry flavour ones.

We have a couple of "moon hoppers", those kid's toys that the kids sit on and hold the "ears" on the top and bounce around on.

Our gelding in particular loves them, he shoves it between his front legs then does a sort of a forward roll over it, flops on the ground then jumps up and gallops off. Very funny to watch
yes.gif

Stuffed animals, tupperware (pitchers and big bowls), and Fischer Price toys (no removable parts)!!!
new_multi.gif
new_multi.gif

My boys love their soccer balls! I clicker-trained them to push them around with their noses. While we don't often see them playing on their ownn the balls always seem to move around the corral. Every now and then we'll see one of them playing, but when they do they kick it instead of "heading" it...

They seem to think that our cats and little dogs would make great toys, but they don't get the chance to find out -- merrrroooowww-hhhhsssssss!!!

I like the jolly balls and the big balls from Walmart, but with the sun rays here and the heat they don't last at all.. Just glad they are cheap enough to replace.

Also I like soda bottles with a few pebbles in them to make them rattle. The horses like to hear it rattle.
biggrin.gif

Joyce

My foals like playing with old leadropes, minus the clasp. They've also played with a piece of garden hose that I cut up. Rocks, sticks, plastic tubs
wacko.gif

I bought each foal one of the small jolly balls. It was fun for about 5 minutes then nothing.....

My kids love empty milk containers. rinse out the empty containers and throw the lids (lids make me nervous, i'm afraid they may crush them off and swallow them or choke) in the trash, they step on them, carry them around, throw them, etc...

they also like the jolly balls and swimming pools, the little cheap kind you get at wal-mart. (I put duct tape on the bottom to prevent them from slipping in them)

My horses favourite toy (apart from the rugs & the water trough)

old milk bottles half filled with water and tied from a tree by a bit of twine (high enough so they cannot get it twisted round the necks or heads)

The have lots of fun chasing the around

next best thing is chasing my dogs!
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Empty milk jugs win hands down here! They can be tossed and chased and stomped with great glee!
aktion033.gif

Viki

Latest posts

Back