Tough week

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcr

Reaction score
I thought I would post this as a learning experience for those that haven't gone through this before.

Monday I went out to feed and one of my pregnant, food hound mares wouldn't come up to eat. She wasn't due for at least a month, no bag development and my breeding dates said it wasn't time. Brought her up to the barn to keep an eye on her and she was drinking and urinating well but not eating. Went to work Tuesday and came home and saw 3 small piles of stool but very dry. No evidence of colic or discomfort, just depressed affect. Had a sneaking feeling she was losing her foal which she did that night. Dead foal still in the bag but everything looked normal, no signs of infection or placental issues. Lots of stool out with foaling.

She brightened up but still a bit depressed but not eating. Never showed any signs of being sick, no temp. Put her out in the front pasture for grass where we could watch her. She ate a little and just wandered around. Not normal for this mare. It started to rain so put her back in barn and gave her a treat, which she readily took but let it fall out of her mouth. She has had hay and grain in front of her all week with no interest. I figured after she got the foal out she should be getting back to normal but still wasn't eating and a day with no stool. But then again, she hasn't eaten for 4 days, nothing much in the gut to come out, no signs of sickness, no signs of colic. The not eating was the red flag for me that it was time to go to the vet because it would put her into hyperlipemia.

The vet was as stumped as I was about why this mare aborted and why she wasn't eating. No signs of being sick and everything looked normal. Her liver enzymes were just starting to go out of the normal ranges as I thought they would. she is in the hospital overnight for tube feedings and will come home today. She was started on IV fluids along with tube feedings of Ensure/electrolytes mixture to get the calories into her to shut down the fat metabolism.

The mare will be fine and I have been down this road before and knew what I was looking for and when to act. It is just a small bump in the road and not a major catastrophy but I posted so others could learn from my experience. Hope this helps someone else.

Sorry for the loss of your foal!
default_sad.png
I hope your mare continues to get well.

My heart goes out to you and your mare. Thanks for the information...I will definetely remember your post if any in my herd show loss of appetite.

I'm very sorry you lost your foal. It's never easy, but thank you for sharing your experience which just might save someone else's horse one day.

Charlotte

Sorry for your loss Kathy, it never gets any easier. Hope your little mare comes through it okay.

Jan

So so sorry, so glad you knew the signs, and thanks for letting us have this information

Sorry to hear you lost your foal. Hope you caught the hyperlypemia early for your mare.

We've lost two pregnant mares over the years to complications of the combination of hyperlypemia AND colic.

Just another example of why this forum is Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your heartache and this informational story. I have my LB notebook out and taking notes from posts like this. Wonderful information. As everyone else, I am sorry for the lose of your foal and hope that your mare improves quickly.

Thanks Again,

Missy

Kathi,

I am sorry to hear you are going through this. The little mare is lucky that you are so experienced. Bummer about the baby.

I'm so sorry Kathi
default_sad.png

I'm glad your mare is going to be ok!

These minis are hearty, but you still have to keep on top of them.
default_yes.gif

I so sorry you lost your foal but so glad you posted the symptoms for us

to help those of us not as experienced

again sorry for your loss and hope your mare continues to improve

Do hope your mare will pull through now -- so sorry that she lost the foal.

Want to add my thanks to you for sharing this with us. LB is such a wonderful place to gleen and share knowledge and I'm sure many little lives have been helped and even saved due to the experience and information posted here.

Anna

Kathi,

I'm very sorry you lost your foal. I always feel so sorry for the Moms - they grieve just like we do. It is never easy, but thank you for sharing your experience.

Moonie is home an doing reasonably well but not out of the woods. Lab work is going down and she is eating and much brighter but not eating like I would like. She will have a little pasture time and free choice of several different foods and hopefully turn around for me. She is the sweetest mare and we will do the best for her.

I hope your mare will be ok. My understanding is to try to get them to eat ANYTHING but the fluids are the most vital and should be getting a TON to flush the system out. So sorry for the loss of the foal and hope that your mare has a full recovery!

Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us.

I certainly will be remembering your case and keeping it in the back of my mind in case we have a similar thing happen to one of our mares.

Oh no! Not Moonie!!
default_no.gif
I know she's one of your special ones and has produced some nice foals for you. I'm sorry you lost the foal and I'll be praying Moonie makes a full recovery.
default_pray.gif
:pray If you need anything please call me.

I'm very sorry for the loss of the foal.
default_sad.png
I'm glad to hear your mare is doing well and recovering though.

Back