Tornado in Ok

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonloubri

Reaction score
Just heard on the news tornadoes touched down in Ok. Sure hope we hear from Weeokie and anyone else in that area.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am watching the news and it is pretty bad in OKC. Haven't heard from any of the farms there.

Just got power back on here after 5 hours. Had a very close call. Tornado that went through I-240/I40 and Choctaw Road went just 1 mile east of my place. No damage here but too close for comfort. I live less than 3 miles from the Thunderbird Marina as the road goes and the marina has been destroyed. Friends have a boat out there and they said from the photos taken for the helicopters their boat is probably destroyed.

My son was coming in off his delivery route topped the hill on Hwy 37 just south of Hwy 9--slammed on the truck brakes, locked the air brakes and layed on the floor between the cab and the refrigeration unit as the tornado was just in front of him less than a 1/4 mile. He said was too close to comfort. Had to cross a lot of downed power lines in order to get home.

Jan (Mars-Montrose)El Reno, Georgette (Royal M) Tuttle, Pat Elder (RosaRoca)OKC/Moore, Leesa Conley (Daystar)OKC/Moore, Wilma Bouska (Teacup)and Donna Terry both from around Choctaw are all fine. Jan had some skylights in her barn broke out but no other damage. Thank you GOD for prayers answered as Leesa Conley had delayed her trip from Shawnee to home for the weather to clear and John had taken HWY 9 or they both would have been at I240 and Choctaw Road when the Loves store was almost completely destroyed and several vehicles turned over.

John said that on his way into Norman on HWY 9 he went past Country Boy grocery which is where I stop for diesel on my way to the feed mill was destroyed--roof had collapsed and there were papertowel and toilet paper and bags of sugar all over the road when he drove by.

News is reporting 4 who perished in the storms and are saying as many as 10 to 25 tornados were being reported---some were probably mulit sightings so will have a more accurate number tomorrow when they can survey the damage in the light of day.

I live just 8 miles from 240 and Choctaw and as many as 40 homes have been destroyed and another 40 damaged. They have coordined off about a 20 sq mile area between I 240 and Anderson to I 40 and Choctaw and South about another 4 miles so that no one can get into the damaged area unless you have ID that you belong there.

I've lived here 33 years and this is the closest I have come--not much rain, no hail but lots of strong wind and gusts.

Prayers for those who sustained damage, lost loved ones or have members that were injured.

Dustin texed me that he was up at the Love's store at I40 and Choctaw helping with the fire rescue as he is a volunteer with the McCloud department. Will probably find out more in the morning.

Usually go around Draper Lake to get to work and not sure I can go that way as the water treatment facilities received some damage and the station is without power and the mayor has made that a priority as it supplies water to the southern half of OKlahoma City. They are also doing the same thing at Thunderbird since the marina was destroyed and there is tons of debrie in the water from all the damaged boat and this is were Norman gets its water.

Morning will tell a different story when emergency services finish their sweep to be sure everyone is account for.

Davie

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update Davie. Nancy is worried so I will let her know they are okay.

Parmela (Star Ridge) brought Spirit down today and came thru there about that time and had to stop on the side of the road. She said it was scary. But they made it safely.

Thanks for thre update...hope all our "mini" people, their families, horses and other critters are all safe!!

I post on the main forum...worried about you gals. Relieved to hear everyone is ok. Now if I could just hear from Rita!

Thanks Julie...for sending me the link. What a day for her to bring Spirit! Whew...glad they made ok!

and I thought earthquakes in California were scary ! glad everyone is safe. what do you do with the animals during a tornado ? are they safer in the barn or outside ? are there underground cellers for them? how do you guys cope with this ?

Glad to hear everyone checking in and okay, frightening weather. We get our share of tornadoes down here but nothing like the sheer number of them you get. Stay safe!

Jan

For me I feel they are safer outside. Too much metal to deal with if the barn gets hit. The pasture horses have shelters they can get into but most like to stand outside.

I am so glad you are all safe. I cannot imagine going thru a tornado. I will think twice about complaining about snow.I don't imagine you can get insurance for a tornado??

poor people who lost the store.To lose your home and your way to make a living,in just a few minutes,I can't imagine. I am glad most of you are safe.

Hugs to you all,

Bonnie

So glad to hear all you mini horse people are ok! Tornados are NO FUN! Right before I moved home after my divorce a tornado came by only several miles from where I rented. It took out a entire town just 8 miles north of where I live... I was a F5 catatgory and went for over 50 + miles.. it did so much damage! That's one of the many reasons I have most all of my horses insured!!

We are okay, golf ball size hail but no damage.

I was on I-40 just behind the tornados. They routed us off of I-40 onto Anderson Road and right through the damage area. We drove around debris and over downed power lines for miles to get to a road that would take us east so we could get home.

My brother was in a propane truck on highway 9 at Little Axe when they announced the tornado there. He turned south and got out of the path. He said there is no worse feeling than driving a mobile bomb when there is a tornado.

I am glad to hear that everyone is okay.

Mary

Latest posts

Back