Top trainers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffian

Reaction score
Just a fun thread - Who do you think is the top trainer - the person who you would send a horse to if $$$ was no object?

Halter trainer and Driving trainer.

Driving trainer -- Parnell Training Stables. Very happy with the job they did with Destiny. In their hands, Destiny became the 2008 Reserve National Grand Champion -- and it was only Destiny's 3rd time driving at a show... the 2nd time was earlier in the week in his qualifying class at Nationals!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

Destiny-----2008-Nationals-Driving-----Smallest.jpg

("sign" picture ordered a few weeks ago but not here yet -- took awhile to finalize what he actually got...)

For halter, if money were no object... I'd pay Erica Killion big enough bucks to convince her to go pro and show a few for me. As it is, I'm just happy and proud to be a co-owner with her in Destiny (who she did show to a National Championship in halter). She has such an amazing way with her horses and is so good to them. I've never worried at all about anything when a horse is in her hands
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

Destiny%202007%20Nationals%20Sign.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh there are so many I respect and admire. This is tough.

Laura from Ten L Training is just awesome. She really does treat every horse like its her own and is always so good to them and gets the best out of that horse. And she is so willing to help and give advice to anyone. Her and Joe are so fun to show with. I miss you Laura and Joe!

Kay

No brainer for me Lee Crutchfield for halter and Austin VanWyck for driving!

No brainer for me either. Mike McCabe. We have been friends for 30+ years. He does a great job, is dead honest and when a horse is trained, it is trained for life.

Ashley Harris is also on my list. She is doing a very nice job, and has started three of our driving horses for us. Two of them are in New England and will be in the show ring in driving and several other classes this year.

Wow, what a fun, but tough thread. I can't pick just one.
default_rolleyes.gif

AMHA Halter

Star Miniatures Mike & Allison R.

Alliance - Mike & Terry H.

Windflight - Ray Z.

Freedom Hill - Tuffy A.

AMHA Driving

Lisa Barnes

Austin Van Wycke

AMHR/ASPC

Halter

B & B Training - Belinda B.

Pondering Oaks - Carin P.

Driving

Larry Parnell

Those are my top ones and in the past we have used most of them with type different horses. They all do great jobs. Currently we have a colt (Rhapsody's Majic Reign) with Belinda Bagby of B & B that will be hitting the show trail shortly. Sorry I could not pick one or rank them. LOL

For me personally, I really like Ashley at Versatility Farm and Training Center. I plan to have her catch handle some of mine this summer. While there are of course LOTS of great trainers. I met Ashley at a show last year and she was very sweet and helpful and has been ever since. She would be my first pick because I know she takes time to help people even when she is not making money from it.
default_wink.png

Star Miniatures Mike & Allison R
---- Yes Mike Rosaur ( that spelling doesn't seem right does it? ) and Mike McCabe

When I have one to send to a trainer, my pick will be Amber Owens here in the Portland area (at Rivenburgh Farm). I admire the way she handles the horses and she is getting great results, both in driving and halter.

I have used Brenda Plass for a whole bunch of years and for everything from show training to just getting a few manners for a horse. All my show horses were national top 10 with her. But the best thing, she trained me too, that was the hard part. She is now kind of, not really, semi retired, so Phantom is with Lee.

I found part of the topic question interesting. The part about $$. Most do not make a ton of money. It's actually rather inexpensive when you break it down by feed, boarding, training per day. What you think the $$ to be true,,,do what I did, ask. You might end up with a nice horse with an awesome trainer.

I like Ed Sisk, Mike McCabe and Lee Crutchfield. They all seemed to do a great job showing in halter. I love to drive but am not savvy about the trainers though for driving.

Good Luck to everyone with their coming shows!
default_firstprize.gif

Barb

I didn't even have to think about this.... AMBER OWENS !!

She can and DOES do it all !!

I have never worked with a horse that was more meticulously trained than Haney's El Domino Scout.

I bought him after having been turned out to pasture for a year, had Annette Helgeson deliver him to Tulsa and the first and only time Amber worked with me & Domino you never would

have known he had missed a day of training.

He was PERFECT !!

I'd give anything for Amber to move to the East Coast - we need more diversified trainers like her !!

Justine

Justine -

You can't have her. We're gonna keep her here in the Beautiful Pacific Northwest. I have known Amber since she was a young child - it has been a privledge to see her grow into the beautiful, wonderful woman and trainer she has become.

Mark Bullington

Portia Kalinka, without a doubt.

I would feel totally confident sending any potential driving horse to Portia. I admire not only her skill as a trainer, but also her integrity, her kindness, and her dedication to the horse's welfare. My only regret is that I didn't get to work with her as much as I would have liked before she moved away from Oregon.

I would LOVE to have my stud pro trained and compeat at nationals someday, but it costs way to much for trainning and I went down that road once. I was ripped off as I paid for 2 months of a lot of $$$ for my mare to be stalled the whole time and barely feed. She also had her feet trimed with out my permission which I was charged for and was not done correctly making her very unbalanced in the front feet. She did look great for her clip job but at that price, I could have clipped her myself.
default_frusty.gif
Not saying that all trainers are like this, but have been scared for life by this "known" trainner and not impressed.

I did have contact with Ashley Harris last year and she was super nice to me and broke things/prices and trainnings down for me in discription. I felt very comfortable and a lot of trust towards her and what she had to say about trainning my horse and I. So when I can aford it I would defiantly go to her over anybody for trainning!!!
default_thumbup.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
We are very pleased with Arlene Foulk of Foulks Fantasy Farm and Training Center. If Arlene was no longer training I would go with Jim and Becky McKeith of Snowberry Farm Jim for halter and Becky for driving. Also for driving Lori Rafter of Milo Farm in Canada.

Wow, what a fun, but tough thread. I can't pick just one.
default_rolleyes.gif

AMHA Halter

Star Miniatures Mike & Allison R.

Alliance - Mike & Terry H.

Windflight - Ray Z.

Freedom Hill - Tuffy A.

AMHA Driving

Lisa Barnes

Austin Van Wycke

AMHR/ASPC

Halter

B & B Training - Belinda B.

Pondering Oaks - Carin P.

Driving

Larry Parnell

Those are my top ones and in the past we have used most of them with type different horses. They all do great jobs. Currently we have a colt (Rhapsody's Majic Reign) with Belinda Bagby of B & B that will be hitting the show trail shortly. Sorry I could not pick one or rank them. LOL

John, I do believe I am blushing. It is quite an honor to be on YOUR list of Top Trainers and to be in such good company as well. Thank you!
default_wub.png
default_saludando.gif

We've used several very good trainers.

Our best results in halter have been with Lee Crutchfield and Kirby Jones of Aloha Acres from North Carolina and Austin Van Wyck of Victory Lane Training Center for driving.

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

Well I guess I am a bit surprised that no one has mentioned Patty Cloke for driving. I have trained with Patty for several years and she is awesome. She turns out a good horse that competes at the top and wins often. Best of all, Patty is an incredible coach. I can no longer afford to have a horse in full training, plus I love training my own horses. Patty coaches me anywhere from one to four times per month, depending on our schedules. I have been able to confidently bring along several of my own driving horses under her teaching. She is such a talented driver and makes it look so easy! She also teaches performance classes like hunter, jumper, and the obstacle classes. I feel so fortunate to live near Patty and have her as a friend.

Back