Today (Weds, Aug. 1) is CHICK-FIL-A Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Physically hurt someone, no, but verbally, yes he did...you should be ashamed of yourself or something like that....you can see the young lady was shaken by her heavy breathing and avoidance of eye contact. If chic fil a expressed something similiar, I would not be saying that those words are free speech, Mr. Cathy never said anyone should be ashamed, he just voiced his beliefs on marriage....big difference. I personally don't see what the big deal is, he is just one man who voiced his opinion on marriage...I am beginning to think maybe Carriage is onto something with the 'staged' scenerio....not that Mr. Cathy's words were staged but the whole way this was presented to the public was staged...and I don't think it was chic fil a who initiated it.

Confused here...he was exercising free speech/expressing his views, without physically hurting anyone, and people are happy he was fired? See guys, I knew it wasn't all about that.

He was an as* though and I am so impressed with how the young woman handled that (though I was expecting worse). Class act.
I tried to post the link for the statement the company issued and it failed. Sorry. Anyway, the company is called Vante and they are based in Arizona.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't know how to quote anyone here, but a recent poster did an EXCELLENT job of illustrating my point TO A TEA!!! THANK YOU
default_smile.png
You said.... "I am sure gluttony refers to something much more extreme than a meal here and there.."

Ummm how are you so sure? The Bible did not come with a glossary. This is what I mean... interpretation. It's far to convenient to interpret the scripture to suit our own conscience. If everybody would REALLY do what the Bible says, which is to love one another, we wouldn't be having these debates because nobody would be worrying about the choices someone else is making.

By the way, I did some research...

Some Christian groups have indeed defined gluttony. One definition is seeking "delicacies" to gratify a vile sense of taste.

Some define it as eating before a meal to gratify hunger.

Others... eating too eagerly, eating too quickly, thinking about food, eating costly foods etc.

Anywho, I'm sure Chic Fil A and those who purchase their "meals" fall into at least one if not several of those definitions. Therefor, all sinners. So you can step right in line with the gays.

I might also mention, that if we want to dive even deeper, gluttony is one of the 7 deadly since. Homosexuality, however, is not.

I think the man in the video was wrong for what he did. It was absolutely OK for him to say that he feels the corporation is hateful, but certainly not OK for him to single out this one employee. I certainly would never work there, but I am also blessed to have an education and resources that helped me get a satisfying job. I have choices and many do not. That girl could rely on this job to feed her child for all we know.

"Physically hurt someone, no, but verbally, yes he did"

There we go, thank you
default_smile.png

Mr Cathy never said anything of the sorts, he just expressed his beliefs on marriage....if he said 'all gay people should be ashamed of themselves' than thats a different story. He did not belittle anyone personally....as for the fool in the video, I agree if he wanted to express his dislike of Chic Fil a, yes he could say he disliked the company and thought they were hateful....but to tell this girl she should be ashamed of herself is on a total different level. I know some do use those words to harm the homosexual community and I certainly don't support that, however Chic Fil A never said such things.

To say that gays don't deserve the right to marry is the EXACT SAME THING as saying they should be ashamed. You can't separate the two. You take a position that you don't think there's anything wrong with being gay and then say that they don't deserve a right that straight people do.

Sorry Ozy, I am fresh out of stones today! And so grateful no one has thrown one at me yet - because I'm a sinner, too. I don't hate anyone - ever. And I think it makes it easier to characterize Christians as hate-filled people, when it is just the opposite.

And here is the direct quote from Dan Cathy:

Some have opposed the company's support of the traditional family. "Well, guilty as charged," said Cathy when asked about the company's position.

"We are very much supportive of the family -- the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that.

"We operate as a family business ... our restaurants are typically led by families; some are single. We want to do anything we possibly can to strengthen families. We are very much committed to that," Cathy emphasized.

"We intend to stay the course," he said. "We know that it might not be popular with everyone, but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

Andi - I don't see anywhere where Dan Cathy said anything about burning in He** for all time. He was simply sharing the values that he holds for his family and his company.

I don't see anything that remotely resembles "hate filled."

As a Christian, the song by Casting Crowns best sums up what I wish all Christians were today. We are so busy telling people what we are against, that they don't know what we stand for - the all-consuming love of Jesus Christ.

Barbara
Thanks, Barbara. You said it so well, so I don't have to come up with something. ;-) The fact someone can turn this person's values into an issue boggles my mind. Heavy sigh. BUT--the issue seems to have been good for his business! :) We don't have any around here--so someone eat there for me! I like lots of ketchup on my fries!

As I sit here right now watching the news, our Soldiers are being killed, A young man killed people in a movie theater, and their families are devastated. 2 young girls are missing, my home state Oklahoma, is on fire that is out of control, people have lost their homes and everything they own. Animals and children are being beaten, starved and neglected. I guess I am out of touch. Freedom of speech? As Americans we are all entitled to it. How we interpret what is said causes the lines to be drawn.

The United States must be in a very good place, if this is all that Americans have to fuss about.

We had to take our puppy, Dozer, to get his last puppy shots today, we didn't feel like cooking when we got home and were hungry so it as grilled chicken sandwiches from Chick-Fil-A again today. Didn't see any "protestors" there for the "Kiss In" demonstration, either, but saw plenty of people eating chicken
default_biggrin.png
. Dozer said he would like to register as a supporter of Chick-Fil-A, too, because chicken strips are what's happening in his world this evening
default_yes.gif
default_thumbup.gif

Well I guess if it's the same meastoso, than that must be what our current prez of the US was saying when he ran for office in 08, because he also thought then that marriage should between man and woman, was he saying 'shame on all the gays'?

I agree Rockin R, this was blown way out of proportion because of a business owners belief, he isn't running for political office....nor can his statements convince anyone of what they already believe or support.

Physically hurt someone, no, but verbally, yes he did...you should be ashamed of yourself or something like that....you can see the young lady was shaken by her heavy breathing and avoidance of eye contact. If chic fil a expressed something similiar, I would not be saying that those words are free speech, Mr. Cathy never said anyone should be ashamed, he just voiced his beliefs on marriage....big difference. I personally don't see what the big deal is, he is just one man who voiced his opinion on marriage...I am beginning to think maybe Carriage is onto something with the 'staged' scenerio....not that Mr. Cathy's words were staged but the whole way this was presented to the public was staged...and I don't think it was chic fil a who initiated it.
Agree 100% with this!

Agree 100% with this!

I don't know what Obama said at the time, but I have never been, nor am I now despite his recent support, a huge fan of Obama. But if he said at the time that gays should not be allowed to marry, then yes, he absolutely was saying that they are inferior or heterosexuals.

It's kind of like saying that you son't support abortion except in the case of rape. The only reason not to support abortion is because you feel it is morally wrong because you believe that it kills a living soul.

So.. if that's what one believes, why does it matter how the pregnancy happened? In the case of a fetus as the result of rape, and the fetus as the result of a partnership, neither fetus is any more at fault for having existed than they other. Both are living souls, etc. So why is it any more moral to have an abortion because of rape than have an abortion because of an unplanned pregnancy? I'm not saying I do or don't believe in any of this. I'm also not trying to explode another controversial subject. My point is, the justification doesn't make sense.

You know, if Chic Fil A would just say "I don't believe in gay marriage because I don't like the gays, because I think they're weird... just because I do." Or.. "I only apply certain scriptures to my life and I leave out the ones I don't understand or feel like ignoring." Or.. "I believe my own sinse aren't as bad as those of the gays, that's why I should be able to get married and they shouldn't." I would respect that far more than I respect it's or any other person's, ridiculous mixed-match reasoning which is always overflowing with hypocrisy usually just so one doesn't have to own their own issues.

And again, it's about the targeting. Here in NC, they worked so hard not to allow the gays to marry. But nobody cares that you can marry your cousin (unless your cousin is gay).

I don't know what Obama said at the time, but I have never been, nor am I now despite his recent support, a huge fan of Obama. But if he said at the time that gays should not be allowed to marry, then yes, he absolutely was saying that they are inferior or heterosexuals.

It's kind of like saying that you son't support abortion except in the case of rape. The only reason not to support abortion is because you feel it is morally wrong because you believe that it kills a living soul.

So.. if that's what one believes, why does it matter how the pregnancy happened? In the case of a fetus as the result of rape, and the fetus as the result of a partnership, neither fetus is any more at fault for having existed than they other. Both are living souls, etc. So why is it any more moral to have an abortion because of rape than have an abortion because of an unplanned pregnancy? I'm not saying I do or don't believe in any of this. I'm also not trying to explode another controversial subject. My point is, the justification doesn't make sense.

You know, if Chic Fil A would just say "I don't believe in gay marriage because I don't like the gays, because I think they're weird... just because I do." Or.. "I only apply certain scriptures to my life and I leave out the ones I don't understand or feel like ignoring." Or.. "I believe my own sinse aren't as bad as those of the gays, that's why I should be able to get married and they shouldn't." I would respect that far more than I respect it's or any other person's, ridiculous mixed-match reasoning which is always overflowing with hypocrisy usually just so one doesn't have to own their own issues.

And again, it's about the targeting. Here in NC, they worked so hard not to allow the gays to marry. But nobody cares that you can marry your cousin (unless your cousin is gay).
Well Matt, actually you are making a valid point whether it be off topic or not. In fact today I was wondering why on this forum you never hear of bleeding hearts for the unborn. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I would guess that it has something to do with what I heard last week...1 in 3 women...not sure how accurate or any data as to age, country, etc (just caught a snip of it on the radio) have had an abortion. I challenge you to take the major content in your third paragraph and start a brand new topic and see how many fish you reel in. Probably about the same number that seem to give a rip that Cal Ripkin's 74 year old mother got abducted. I don't mean to downsize 1st amendment rights, which was what the OP was started about, but just encourage you to see who wants to ride that pony.

I've actually had that very same thought. I'm a conservative but one who supports some things the party line does not. When it comes to terminating a pregnancy, that is not something I would do... I do think it is a life already. I don't know that it is. If I am right, and it is "already" a life, then it's a life no matter how it came to be. It's also a life no matter if it will be a life with downs syndrome or other medical issues (plus... I haven't ever met an unhappy person with downs syndrome, and shouldn't that be the measure of quality of life?). I do not feel confident enough to dictate what others should have to do. A real mixed bag, but not in sync with "the party line".

Another thing apart from what I think others have said here but it's part of the issue... I do not think gay people are helping their cause at all with some of their well publicized outrage and protests. I'm someone who supports equal rights for all committed couples, but am becoming more and more turned off and disgusted with the backlashes when others have a different point of view. It's making me turn an ear more than I'd ever done before to the idea of civil unions vs. marriage. And that's probably not the desired goal when the gay community organize AGAINST the things they resent. I'm also getting tired of the over representation of gay lifestyles on sitcoms and reality TV. It feels as if it's being force fed to the American public. I would imagine it is not changing any minds and is probably very much pushing people who sincerely think it's a "choice" to the point of further disgust and alienating the chance of them finding empathy for the situation gay people find themselves in.

What I've said will probably not be taken in the way I mean it. I can't express it as well in type as I would hope to in person. I just see some recent situations doing more to alienate people of different "lifestyles" (please, I know that is too light of a word but cannot think of another one right now) from one another. It's doing more to forge our differences than to foster understanding.

I think if a person is going to stand up for what they beleive in, then they need to do it on all levels. Also if they are going to stand up for something they feel is wrong based on the bible they better make sure they fit the bible to a T as well. The whole well I beleive this part, but not this part doesnt fly.

For the record, I dont care if people voice their opinion against gay marriage. It doesnt change my opinion or that of many others. I find it very unlikely that gay marriage will ever really be accepted, there will always be that line that seperates those who are less then. In many eyes I fall under that less then line. However, I can look at my life, the things that I have done, and the places I am going and realize I have already done far more, and worked through many more challenges in my 28 years then some have or will in their life time. All the negative towards gays becomes a challenge to me, a challenge to prove that I am much more then I am labeled with.

I dont have a problem with religion or a persons opinions as long as they can be respectful to people despite what they beleive. I have several friends that fall on the pretty religious spectrum, and I dont feel that all religious people are judgemental however there are some out there. If we were all created in his image than how can any image be wrong? Especially an imagine that isnt a choice.

Based on what somebody say earlier I guess I wouldnt be a sinner as I am gay, but not actively participating in it.......................really thats dumb, how does somebody not actively be who they are?

P.S. please ignore all the errors in this post, I dont have a way to check for errors yet.

If we were all created in his image than how can any image be wrong? Especially an imagine that isnt a choice.
If we were created in his image then this is what He would have looked like...looks like none of us have the right to judge those not looking like "we" do today
default_smile.png

Ardipithecusramidus.jpg

I've changed ONE word in this quote below. The word was written 3 times, I change it and ONLY it in this paragraph - read it again, maybe this will make the discrimination more obvious to some
default_smile.png
I think it will highlight a whole different way of looking at this.

Another thing apart from what I think others have said here but it's part of the issue... I do not think black people are helping their cause at all with some of their well publicized outrage and protests. I'm someone who supports equal rights for all committed couples, but am becoming more and more turned off and disgusted with the backlashes when others have a different point of view. It's making me turn an ear more than I'd ever done before to the idea of civil unions vs. marriage. And that's probably not the desired goal when the black community organize AGAINST the things they resent. I'm also getting tired of the over representation of black lifestyles on sitcoms and reality TV. It feels as if it's being force fed to the American public. I would imagine it is not changing any minds and is probably very much pushing people who sincerely think it's a "choice" to the point of further disgust and alienating the chance of them finding empathy for the situation black people find themselves in.

csl0870l.jpg

images3.jpg

images2.jpg

images1.jpg

civilrightsmovement.jpg

Back