Today (Weds, Aug. 1) is CHICK-FIL-A Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are many sincere opinions that discriminate and do worse to others. I'm sure it was Hitler's sincere opinion that what he was doing was right (and no, I'm not comparing this situation to Hitler's, just proving a point).

To start - I support gay marriage, and have a gay son.

I have no issue with the owner of Chick-Fil-A stating his beliefs. As long as he doesn't try to force them on others. For his family / his church, etc., if they don't want to conduct gay marriages, no problem. That is his right.

I don't agree with him, and I'll never eat at Chick-Fil-A because of it. That is my right.

I don't agree that a mayor of a major city can stop a business from legally operating because he doesn't agree with the ownes' beliefs. Sorry, that's interfering with free enterprise. Let them build, and let the public determine if they can be profitable.

I also don't see how democrats can bill themselves as "tolerant" - when it's obvious they are "tolerant" only about what they believe in. I have to say, that many times I respect the right more than the left, because at least the right isn't hypocritical. The right will admit they are not tolerant of certain groups, while the left believes they are tolerant of everyone, while the truth is they are tolerant of everyone but the right!

Realize that people's belief systems are shaped by the paradigm from which they view life, and that is shaped by their experiences. It is nearly impossible to change those beliefs without changeing those experiences. Others aren't "idiots" or "uninformed" because they don't agree with your beliefs. When it becomes true hate speech, when you stray into the Fred Phelps of the world, yes, then I think we can agree that's not to be tolerated. But this man calmly and without malice simply stated his beliefs, the same way you or I may state that we support gay marriage, and why. I will not condemn him for that, although they are directly counter to my own.

I may not agree with what he says, but I will defend his right to say it.
Wow. Great post. Best comments I have heard or read about this. That includes radio, tv, internet, and even during my chick-fil-a dine in lunch. This sincerely deserves a round of applause.

I'm still finding this ironic. Did anyone crying freedom of speech even look up the Eat More lawsuits? Seriously this company has been attacking every single person/company who uses the words Eat More (not spelled like their 'Eat Mor Chiken' ads) Look up Eat More Kale. At least this man is trying to fight back. IMO that whole issue is worse than the gay marriage comments. Not that I'm saying that I support the man's words as I could really care less how he feels about gay marriage. My feelings on it? Why not, let them be miserable like the rest of us married folks...as I sit here waiting for my husband to get here, he's gonna make me late!!!!
default_frusty.gif

There are many sincere opinions that discriminate and do worse to others. I'm sure it was Hitler's sincere opinion that what he was doing was right (and no, I'm not comparing this situation to Hitler's, just proving a point).
Well said!

Celebrating freedom of speech in this country isn't something we necessarily need to "celebrate" as it's a right we already have and people voice it daily. Supporting CFA by eating there today is celebrating the content of the free speech. Would you eat there today if he'd celebrated his free speech by saying that in his view blacks shouldn't be allowed to marry it should be for whites only? I don't think so. I think peoples true feelings have been shown - which is fine - believing in the biblical view of marriage is your right. Supporting businesses who have anti gay marriage stances is also your right.

We are so busy telling people what we are against, that they don't know what we stand for - the all-consuming love of Jesus Christ.

Barbara
Well here's one thing we agree on CF
default_smile.png
A lot of in the news christian groups and individuals sure aren't helping the entire groups public relations image lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the comparison to Hitler believing in what he was doing is exactly the OPPOSITE of this situation - you're using it as an example of free speech that shouldn't have been tolerated - but don't you see, it's exactly the opposite? Hitler could do as he wished BECAUSE there was not free speech for anyone else! Germans could not oppose what he said, or they would be summarily killed. There was NO free speech for the average German in Nazi Germany - you had to believe and think as the fuhrer did. In this situation, CFA has the freedom to say something that many of us don't agree with (although realize, many DO agree also), and those of us who don't agree have the right to say so, argue, and boycott. Hardly the same situation as Nazi Germany. Once we start deciding who is and is not allowed to speak their opinions, the whole concept of freedom of speech is in jeopardy.

And if his opinion had been against black marriage (or perhaps inter-racial marriage - as there are still many people who will argue that point), I would feel the same way. He has the right to state his opinion and beliefs. I have the right to state and act on mine. He did NOT condemn gay marriage, did not advocate violence, did not fulfill any of the requirements for "hate speech". The whole point of tolerance is that you can tolerate beliefs you DON'T agree with, I think we forget that sometimes, saying we are tolerant - but really only being tolerant when we agree with someone else's beliefs.

And lastly, I agree Ozy, we don't need to "celebrate" freedom of speech, but we certainly need to defend it, lest we lose it.

I have no idea what Chick-fil-A is...but I DO think it's stupid for a business owner to voice his or her religious or political beliefs; isn't the food business about providing a good product and getting as much people as possible to want that product?!

So, yeah, i agree with what some others have said on here, I support free speech 100%...but does that mean that everyone has to love what you say and just keep supporting you? Ummm....no. Would you, Jill, have supported a business that spoke out to not allow women to vote in the early 20th century? Women couldn't become doctors until around the same time. What about interracial marriage? Would you have marched right in there and scarfed down their chicken sandwich? Would you have respected me if I did that? Here's a great vid for all those people that think its just so gosh darn awesome to be supportin' those that spout stupidity....

http://www.upworthy.com/i-dont-care-about-chicken-i-care-about-my-gay-friends

Here's a great vid for all those people that think its just so gosh darn awesome to be supportin' those that spout stupidity....

http://www.upworthy....-my-gay-friends
Thanks Matt
default_smile.png

"They spent $2,000,000 in 2010 funding anti-gay organizations". I think if nothing else we've learned who really is tolerant of discrimination and who isn't. Sure hope no one choked on a chicken bone!

Flying minis, I think you missed my very last sentence
default_smile.png
Somehow I fore-saw that post and tried to make sure my words were not taken the wrong way.

I'll try again.

I was not saying this situation is anything like Nazi Germany, I was simply making the point that no matter how sincere one's opinion may be, that does not make what they say/do ok. Sincerity for one can be very hurtful for another.

I agree about free speech but what I don't tolerate at all is bigotry, racism, etc. I uphold those morales at all times. We don't have that chain in Canada but if we did I would uphold my morales and refrain from spending my money at such a business.

I agree about free speech but what I don't tolerate at all is bigotry, racism, etc. I uphold those morales at all times. We don't have that chain in Canada but if we did I would uphold my morales and refrain from spending my money at such a business.
Well said
default_smile.png

Sorry, I still don't see Mr. Cathy as spewing hatred. He was being interviewed by a Baptist organization and answered a question they asked him. He didn't take out full page ads in the NY Times berating homosexuals. He didn't go on CNN, Fox or MSNBC talking about how anyone who believes differently than him is going to He**. All he did was answer a question about his beliefs, which he is entitled to have.

No one has to agree with anyone else. I have to tolerate you, you have to tolerate me. I do not have to accept what you believe or do, no more than you have to accept what I believe or do. There is a difference between tolerance and acceptance. If you can't tolerate what Mr. Cathy stands for - don't eat his chicken. But don't spew hatred towards him for what he believes. Again, tolerance is a two-way street. Why does it matter so much what this one man says and thinks?? He has no power, he's not standing on a political platform with this agenda. He is the CEO of one company.

Barbara

http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/chickfila.asp

Now, though we do not have this issue, and I really don't have to worry about it, not even having "Chick a Fil" here...I would personally rather eat dirt than spend five cents in one of them were I in a position that I had to crawl on my hands and knees past it to get to a greasy spoon.

Seriously...there is a HUGE difference in supporting free speech, and supporting what was said.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/chickfila.asp

Now, though we do not have this issue, and I really don't have to worry about it, not even having "Chick a Fil" here...I would personally rather eat dirt than spend five cents in one of them were I in a position that I had to crawl on my hands and knees past it to get to a greasy spoon.

Seriously...there is a HUGE difference in supporting free speech, and supporting what was said.
Bravo Sue.

I don't think anyone here is interested in him. It's the sad way others are not only condoning it but going out of their way to celebrate it.
default_sad.png

Well, here is my two cents worth on the whole issue- which probably really isnt even worth that much, LOL. Upon reading what he said, I dont see that he was being mean or hateful towards anyone. He was discussing HIS OWN beliefs. People jump on the bandwagon to make such a huge deal out of what he said about himself and his family values. By upholding what he believes to be moral and right, according to the Bible, people are so upset? It's his opinion. It's his beliefs. It's his life. And he has the right to say what he thought.

Yes, I agree, those claiming to be so tolerant, perhaps are not so at all. How DARE him not think the same way some others do?! I'm sorry but everyone in the world is different with different opinions on things. So you agree to disagree and move on- nobody is going to agree with everyone. You know the old saying - You can please some of the people some of the time....

I have never been accused of being poltically correct- I just say things like I see it. And I am certainly not going to wig out about someone expressing a different view, whether I believe in it or not. To me, THAT is part of being 'tolerant'.

For those of you that dont support gay marriage, would you boycott a business that does?

So are people going to boycott businesses where the owner supports Obamacare and you dont?

How about one whose owner believes in being or not being pro choice, if you were of the opposite opinion?

How about a business owned by an atheist instead of a Catholic?

I could go on but you get my drift - there would be an awful lot of boycotting going on.

In this world full of drugs, crime, gangs, embezzlement, prostitution, corruption and a million other things, I find it refreshing that someone still has FAMILY VALUES (which I find this country HORRIBLY lacking in anymore) with morals and is not afraid to admit what they believe in, whether others agree or not. Gosh if the man had said he cheated on his wife or didnt pay his taxes, would anyone have given notice? Would it have been made such a big deal of? Sorry but their are obviously a LOT of people out there who still believe in a 'christian marriage' - shame on them?? And shame on those who are intolerant of others' intolerance,

Am I being boycotted yet?

"If you can't tolerate what Mr. Cathy stands for - don't eat his chicken."

^THIS^ is what we're saying!

^THIS^ is what the boycott is all about.

Yet because of ^THIS^, the RRs have their knickers in a twist.

Those who think this guy is all peachy can eat his food and his words to their hearts' content. I'll stay home.

That's my point. He is supposed to be tolerant but others dont have to be?? Kind of a double edged sword there. If someone had not have made such a big deal about what Mr. Cathy said regarding his OWN personal beliefs, he would not have had record sales today and run out of food. Just my own opinion here, but seems that people in general are a little too thin skinned these days.

There are certainly much bigger issues out there for people to be 'sensitive' over. Geez.............

I don't think my point is "exactly" your point at all. Mr. Cathy has the right to say what he wants -- nobody is questioning that. But we have the right not to eat his food. He made his bed and now he can lie in it. That's free enterprise.

Why should I be tolerant of something with which I vehemently disagree? I am totally in support of his right to free speech. He can say whatever he wishes, but I don't need to agree with him nor am I obligated to give him my business.

Not eating there is exactly your right. Two mayors of large cities in this country saying they would block free enterprise because of what the CEO believes is not. And then they had to turn around and state what all of us knew - that actually they don't really have the power to do that anyway. I don't think it's necessarily the boycott people object to - it's the hate being thrown at Mr. Cathy in the name of tolerance.

Laurie, I agree with everything you said!

The man loses several thousands of dollars every week because the stores are not open on Sunday, its says because he believes that families should be together on Sundays. Its his christian values that makes him do this. If you really thought about it before he made his statements, wouldn't you sort of already know what his stand would be on gay marriage? I for one, was not shocked so it never occured to me to be mad about it. I think the whole situation is just stupid. Don't eat there if you don't want to, eat there if you want to, so what. This has been so blown out of porportion. So much violence in the world and we are fighting over eating or not eating a chicken sandwich. Now I really am afraid for this country.

Latest posts

Back