Today was the memorial for my nephew

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootka

Reaction score
So last night was a rough one for me w/lots of houseguests and they fed my cat tons of chicken, which she usually only gets a few treats of scraps once in a while. So the cat starts throwing up all over (she has never thrown up in her life). This a.m. after going to bed at 2:30, I was awakened by being very sick myself and got about five hours of sleep. I have been throwing up constantly and the memorial was today for Craig, my nephew lost at sea last Tuesday a.m. when his crab boat broke up on the Tillamook Bay bar going into Garibaldi. On top of that, there was cat hurl everywhere I had to clean up and in between trips to the bathroom I did that and got them taken care of. (I have not been sick like this in over ten years, so this is not normal for me)

I threw up right until about 1 o'clock and then we left fifteen minutes later, because I felt ok. We get there and the sky is sunny, nice, but the wind is blowing out of the North about 30 kts. BRRRR about 40 degrees. In spite of this I began to feel sweaty and faint. We hung in there for 45 minutes, though, before I had to go lie down in the car.

The memorial was nice, it was "Craig" and had a Grunden's jacket laid over the railing (the orange rubber waterproof ones they wear on the ocean) where his friends had taken a Sharpie and signed it to him. That boat from the Discovery Channel show, the Maverick, was one that he had worked on, and they donated the jacket w/the Maverick name on it. A photo of his old boat, his dream, was at the center of the wall, and around that were flowers on a life ring from the boat, and balloons, even a token unopened cold Coors...tons of photos from all stages and adventures of his life. So much for him from those that loved him and knew him best. The Coast Guard helicopter made a flyover and we were left with our thoughts and reminiscences among his family and friends left to mourn him. It was so odd to see all these people and not him, was like "Where's Craig, oh, he has to be along any minute now..." but it never happened.

Was hard to be there, not just b/c I was so sick, but because this was our "goodbye" as they did find the third body just South of where they went down. Can't be anyone but him, I wouldn't think, though they are loathe to say until they have looked more closely.

The theory from those that were nearby and knew the boat and him best is that they were in very shallow water, maybe 10-15 ft., the waves were 12-14 ft themselves, and they rode down the face of a breaker like a surfer, but it drove the bow of the boat into the hard sand at the bottom. The heavy load of saltwater for the 1200 lb. of crab (the fill it to keep them alive in sea water) probably acted like a battering ram and definitely helped to blow the old wood boat apart pretty quickly. He had taken a rough crossing here on the Columbia R. Bar a few weeks prior, and may even have had some undetectable damage since that time, such as cracked ribs on the boat, or a sprung keel. Either way, the boat was old and tired, and Craig'd never been across that bar, so it was a fatal mistake for he and his crew.

Thank you for all the thoughts, all the prayers, all the hopes you have held since the first post, when I still had hope myself, that he would be found w/out power or something and a false alarm of distress. It's been a rough journey and there will always be awakenings of grief, but goodbye and knowing where his remains are is some help. I have been on the phone today when I have not been out in town and sick throwing up, so it's been one busy day and I need some sleep.

I will post a few pics we took at the memorial a little later...

Liz M.

I am so sorry that this had to happen and that you lost such a special person. :no:

What a hard day you have had. So sorry about your being sick on top of memorial service and then finding Craig's body. It's almost to much for anyone to handle. Prayers for you to get better soon and for your family. The memorial sounds like it was very nice and I'm sure Craig would have approved. Hope you get a long sleep and much needed rest.

I am so sorry for your loss. I missed the first post, but it sounds like he had a crab-fishing boat?? I've seen the shows on discovery and it was listed as one of the most dangerous jobs. My condolences to you and your family. I hope you feel better soon, you are probably just really stressed so take care of yourself and your kitty. HUGS

I am so sorry for your loss but glad the memorial went well...............get better.....not to make light of the situation but ..psstt any chance you are pregnant
default_wink.png
: all the throwing up..kinda makes a girl wonder
default_wink.png
:

Liz you need to go rest now.

You have been through a lot the past few days and I think it has all caught up with you now.

Try and get a long sleep. (((((((((hugs)))))))))

Liz, my friend, I wish that I could provide words of comfort that would take your pain away. Only time can help heal your broken heart. Please take comfort in knowing that you are surrounded by family and friends...people who love you and care about you.

Again, my deepest condolences ...

Liz R.

Liz,

You and your family have been in our thoughts constantly...especially yesterday, when we went to see family in Rockaway. Keith and I were silent as we drove around Tillamook Bay and through Garibaldi, watching the waves crash and knowing how treacherous the Pacific can be, and yet how beautiful at the same time.

Garibaldi is the town where my father (who died when I was nine) was born, so it has always held a bittersweet place in my heart.

I am so sorry for your loss of such a wonderful, vibrant nephew, and I ache to think of Brandon asking about his buddy, Boots. I cannot imagine what his girlfriend is going through...

It sounds like you all gave him a wonderful sendoff...one that truly reflected his life...That, to me, is so important, as remembering a loved one's life is the most important part in getting over their loss. When my sister died, we held a life celebration filled with food, drink, kids, dogs, her many, many friends who shared their remembrances, and it was an unbelievably healing day. I hope that you had a similar sense of closure from this, even though you were sick.

And please be very careful with this flu...many people are getting it over and again, and you've been through so much stress. Be sure to rest and take care of yourself!

susanne

Liz, I am so sorry, and to get the flu on top of all of this, you poor thing! Please get some much needed and deserved rest....take good care of yourself!! Please know my thoughts and prayers are with you all at this time, and I know it's bittersweet but has to provide a little comfort that they found his body.

Hugs to you. Valerie

Oh geez Liz, this is such a hard one to take. Such a tragedy but even moreso under these trying circumstances is just heartwrenching for your whole family. I wish I was there to cover you up with a warm afgan and fix you some hot tea. Hug your babies hard and rest Liz, just rest.

I'm soooo sorry you and your family have had to go through this. :no: They keep updating on the Portland news and I was glad to hear they found him. That will hopefully provide some closure. They say that the bar they ran into is the 2nd most dangerous bar in the US. :no:

I hope you are feeling better soon and will pray that the pain will ease in time. We're here if you need us.

((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))

My prayers are with you girl =( I can only hope if anything that the third body was Craig's, for me i'd rather know where he is..dead or alive...than to be left with that empty feeling of thinking his body is out there somewhere, cold and alone and unrecognized...the memorial sounded so beautiful, I am so sorry for your loss *hugs*

The memorial service sounds like it was a beautiful tribute to Craig...bittersweet I'm sure. I hope they did find him and that he can be layed to rest in peace. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all his family and friends. I hope you feel better soon too.....(you sure maybe you did'nt get a bit of food poisoning there from that chicken that you and your kitty shared?) My most sincere condolences.

ohhhh... I am so sorry... my deepest condolences....

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

Very sorry for the loss of your nephew Liz. Sounds like it was a beautiful memorial for him. Hope you and your kitty feel better soon.

What a stressful day for you Liz. I'm sure you are glad it's over and you can hopefully get some rest. I suspect that the stress lowered your immune system to make you get so sick like that.

I do hope finding the third body will bring some closure for the whole family......Having that proof is painful, I know, but stops the awful feeling of not being sure.....I remember and it's agonizing.

Let us know how you are doing tomorrow, okay?

MA

PS: How is Martin AND your son doing with all this???

I am sorry to hear about your nephew. Bless the family during this time of grief....... I hope you are feeling well now.

Liz I'm so sorry, this has been so hard on you.

You and your family are still in my thoughts and prayers. ((((HUGS))))

Back