To settle an argument (disscussion) about color.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandee

Reaction score
First is his baby picture then as a 3 year old. What color is this guy? And does it have anything to do with Appaloosa?

2006_0713seattleJuly0011-3.jpg

Seattle2009.jpg

Thanks for any and all help.

Added later for those that don't want to read the whole list of replies:

The father is the stallion in my avatar (silver black dapple pinto). The mother looks roan. In fact when the foal was born, he looked exactly like his mom except he had the white legs.

The only Appy we can find is 5 generations back on my stallion's side - Orion.

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks to be carrying silver to me. And he looks to be a varnish roal appy. Other than that I am no help.
default_biggrin.png

He reminds me a lot of an appaloosa we have. Roman was a bay pintaloosa when we bought him, looked mostly pinto, just a few spots on the butt. Today he has snowflaked out to almost a silver, the mane and tail are white, and you can hardly see any pinto at all. Does your colt have app in his background? Sure looks like it to me. Is he a silver bay?

Snow flake appy -- after a few years the white snowflakes will go totally together making them look white. IMO its not the same at all as varnish

After having SEVERAL varnish foals and older horses on the farm, he's a silver bay varnish
default_yes.gif

I am going to chime in with Varnish

The father is the stallion in my avatar (silver black dapple pinto). The mother looks roan. In fact when he was born, he looked exactly like his mom except he had the white legs.

The only Appy we can find is 5 generations back on my stallion's side - Orion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either a silver bay or silver bay dun plus appy. Don't Know if either parent is dun, I only say it because he is such a pale red, sometimes silver works in strange ways when it comes to other modifiers.

IMO it's hard to find a "true" snowflake, many that are considered snowflake are transitioning varnish roans like your guy..
default_yes.gif
The snowflake pattern looks more like birdcatcher spots like this colt:

Snowflake colt

One of the biggest indicators of varnish roan is that the coloring stays darker on the bony areas (face, the hip, the stifle, the knees and hocks etc) and many have the classic "V" on the bridge of the nose like this horse:

Varnish

Here is a varnish colt we raised, sire was a palomino leopard, dam is a black based varnish:

Foal:

100_0164.jpg

Weanling:

Axelprofile.jpg

Yearling:

axelprofile.jpg

axelhead2.jpg

2 Year old:

Cutout7.jpg

Cutout6.jpg

At this stage many would say he is snowflake/reverse leopard, but just a couple months later he has gone mostly white except for some roany patches and the darker boney areas, classic varnish roan.. (do not have photos as he was sold right after the photo below was taken)

100_1985.jpg

Just a few more classic varnishes:

Night To Remember, born solid and then:

Night To Remember; 2 yrs

Night To Remember; 9 years

One of my favorites, Night Vision.. Again born solid black:

Night Vision weanling

Night Vision 2 years

Night Vision in 2009 at 18 yrs

Silver Bay base, varnish roan Appy.

Although Appy cannot "skip" it can hide, very successfully, in Roan and Grey.

Could we see pictures of the Dam???

Just out of curiosity... how long did it take him to start changing colour? I dont have any input on his colour, but i have a mare that is the same colour as him (who i have been told is a Varnish Appy), and im curious for her foals...
default_biggrin.png

Renee

He is a varnish roan Appy. Varnish roan...has a pattern. Like Lucky C said, you can see the dark markings on his face, and on his stifle and elbow. Bet mama is Appy roan and not normal roan.

Unless you have actually seen the ancestors yourself, do NOT believe what is on the papers! I have two full sister pintaloosas that are reg. as pinto. Their sire is a normal silver red roan. But, their dam is a pintaloosa that is reg. as an Appaloosa ! The registry never questioned that an Appy and a solid produced pintos!

Silver Bay base, varnish roan Appy.Although Appy cannot "skip" it can hide, very successfully, in Roan and Grey.

Could we see pictures of the Dam???
This is the only picture I have of his mom. In this picture she looks solid but up close she is an obvious roan.

2006_0713seattleJuly0020.jpg

Is your boy showing any other appaloosa characteristics? Like mottling (face, around eyes, muzzle, inside mouth, under tail, sheath, etc? Or is there any striping on the hooves?
If you are asking about my stallion, he has mottling around the lips and on his genitals and a couple under tail. White hooves not stripes; no sclera around eyes. I was told that silver dapples can also have this mottling so I was surprised at the off spring. Neither his dam (silver "grey" pinto) nor sire (black and white pinto) show obvious appy.

Back