To buy or NOT to buy......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Taylor Jo

I have the opportunity to buy another Limestone mini. She's beautiful. I wish I could share her pic. She is palomino with white in her face and 1 blue eye. She's a Billy Idol baby and gorgeous to say the least, just like all his babies are. I keep thinking though hum, should I do it or not? I have one Mare who's 32" and she'd have to share a 12x12 stall with her and that means I'd be clipping 5 horses for the show and getting 5 ready, do I want to do that. Right now my yearlings almost 2 are sharing a 12x12 stall cause I have my biggy in one of the stalls that one had before and they work out fine togather.

I don't know. Any advice would be appreciated.

I probably have 1 spot in the trailer left that one would fit and that's it NO MORE. I do have help w/ clipping now, my granddaughters help but that doesn't mean they can ALWAYS help or will want to always help. Thanks, TJ

Last edited:
Well, that's truly a personal deciison, but....

1) Can you afford her, and her upkeep?

2) Are you sure you mare will share? If not, then what?

3) Show prep, like you said. Of course, you don't HAVE to take all of them at one time.
default_biggrin.png
I know I can't afford to show All I want to!

4) Most impotant, if the first answers are all go: Will you kick yourself in the butt if you miss out on her??? I do on one horse I fell in love with. He was AWESOME! *sigh*

Lucy

What will you do with the new one if you discover that the two girls will not share a stall? Just because the two colts get along doesn't mean that the girls will. I personally would not count on your mare sharing happily with a new girl--if you have a backup plan for where to put her then that's not a problem.

Yea, that's my Biggest worry WILL the girls get along. She's pretty laid back and likes my biggy, and when she WAS sharing a stall w/ my gelding at the shows he bossed her around and she's the one that had the hard time w/ it so I decided to start getting her, her own stall. I guess, I'm scared of passing her up, but on the other hand I don't want to make my my mare or her miserable either, cause I have NO other place to put her. I don't want to put my gelding in with my mare as he's to honery and would eat all her food and she'd stand there and let him and he'd be mean to her. I could afford to take them all BUT, it would be tight, as usual. Plus, I want to put my mare into drivers training this season and maybe put my biggy into halter if the classes don't run into the mini shows as she's used to showing halter. That's a lot of money going out w/ the same amount coming in. OY VEY!!!!!!! TJ

My input is ... it sounds like one too many.

NOW that I've aired it out and got some input, I'm beginning to think so too. Maybe I just better be satisfied with what I have, huh....... Thanks all, TJ

My personal experience over the years has been that 2 females sharing a stall even a 12x20 has always been H ell for one of them. Even my daughters favorite mare and her foal as a yearling was a headache some bags just seem to get bossy which means no rest for the other...
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two fillies so happily stalled together--but my mares sometimes don't get along beside each other in separate stalls! It's the only place they don't get along.

I think if you have to wonder if it's too many--it's too many.

[SIZE=12pt]If you can afford the additional expense of the horse and you can see how it will fit within your needs then do it. [/SIZE]

It's a PHENOMENAL bloodline that's proving itself in the industry and show ring time-after-time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Taylor Jo, I would never assume I could put 2 horses together in the same stall. Perhaps after some time of them getting used to each other in the paddock and getting to know each other. I'd personally would never do it right off the bat. Are you prepared to divide the 12x12 stall, even with a gate until they got to know each other? You are talking a bit negatively about having another horse to get ready for shows and such. Will any of the horses be home, barefoot and pregnant that you will be leaving behind? Just think it through.
default_smile.png
Good luck with your decision, let us know what you do!!

Could it be the pretty little 09 filly for sale on her webpage??? I say go for it. Why not? Divide your stall 6x12 is still a very good size stall for miniatures. You have plenty of shows they only need to go to two, so say for instance you go to three shows. You only need to take both mares to one show and the other 2 shows you can take each of them. Thats what I do divide them up, heck we have 7 on our show string to many to take to all the shows so I just pick one for this show and one for that show LOL.

Good luck deciding!

Maybe you can get them to share, but there is a good chance one is going to end up dominating the other and leave some pretty kick and bite marks on the other one. And is there enough of YOU to go around? Only you know your real limits.

Oh, what's one more? lol ;) J/K only you can decide! I'd go for it... but that's why I have as many as I do lol!!!

If you are able to take care of another one, I say go for it.
default_biggrin.png
We only live once right?
default_laugh.png

Maybe you would want to sell one of your other mares to buy her ?

If you want her sooo bad, divide the stall 6x12 I have done that many times. It is still plenty enough room for a mini. And just build it high enough to where they can smell each other but not hurt each other. And just put a gate somewhere in the wall.

ha ha ha do not come on here and expect fellow enablers to tell you not to buy. Where there is a will there is a way.

Yea, you guy's are just as bad as I am. I NEVER thought of dividing the stalls. I have my yearlings together and I'm going to seperate them now that I got this idea. They'll be much better in they're own stalls like they used to be and be able to keep them clean. I never also thought of taking 2 and 2 to a show cause I show in 4 shows so that would work. I could NEVER sell my mare, EVER. She's my little girl. I've had her 2.5 years and I could never give her up. I don't have any to breed at this point and may in the next couple of years. My biggy will stay home while I'm at the shows, so someone else will be home if I leave another one home.

I don't think she's weaned yet, I'll have to check. She sure is a cutie that's for sure. Thanks all, TJ

What about making a devider in the stall if it is big enough? I know someone that just keeps deviding space. This may be an option if they do not get along.

I went to Tractor Supply today and I looked at their panels to put down the middle and I found a stock fence I can use to seperate my boy's to 6x12 which means IF I got her I can also do the same with her. I'm talking to Limestone.....So we'll see, now that we've got the fence problem taken care of. She's AWFULLY pretty and she's a baby which I REALLY Like. That will be a lot of fun. My boy's were almost 9 mths old when I got them and shipped off to training I wouldn't do that with this one. I'd wait till she got older if not ship her I'd do it myself, I've learned quite a bit in this last year. Thanks all, TJ

Latest posts

Back