Tips on teaching baby patience?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. Teach it to yourself first
default_smile.png

Disneyhorse hit the nail on the head...and do things in VERY small chunks of time - 'baby steps' when dealing with a newborn to 3 months. End everything on a positive note. Can increase amount of time spent "on task" incrementally as they get older.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol shoulda clarified...Marty - she's nearly a yearling not technically baby. Shouldn't we be working on patience at 10 months or am I rushing her?

Depends on what you really expect. I teach waiting at the gate, rather than barging me around, I teach coming to call because we are going in for a feed- that's good and the reward is almost immediate- I teach standing quietly to allow the halter to be taken off, not messing around and half rearing and standing on my foot. And, as a by product of this, which is all done when I take them out and bring them in again, I teach them to trot in hand, nicely, when I am still walking and to verbal prompt. They have just started doing that one. It's all a game, we play it every day. The rewards are obvious- they don't play along they don't get out so quickly, or in for their feed. The trotting is just something to do on the way in and they seem to enjoy learning. They already tie up- did all that when they were foals- they lead and let me pick out their feet and pare them, so really all the hard work is done.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes at 10 months she can certainly learn patience but at the same time she isn't going to learn it overnight--much of it will come with routine, daily handling. I don't do anything to teach patience...it is just all routine handling and the youngster learns to accept it. Teach her to tie--then tie her and ignore her for a bit (while keeping an eye on her to make sure she doesn't get herself into trouble before she learns to stand quietly while tied). Groom her, rub her legs, puck up her feet--and don't expect it tI come all at once, you might have to spend a week getting her to accept having her foot picked up and held up...do as rabbit describes, teaching manners at the gate or leaving the stall, bring turned loose...but donut in gradual steps. Don't expect her to wait quietly for ten minutes. If she fusses, then stands quietly for a moment, praise her and go on to wherever it is you were going, don't wait so long that she starts fussing again. Tomorrow you may get a longer period of quiet!

As said--YOU must have patience first.

Back