Teaching to stand

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do you teach a mini to stand? I was road by an old cowboy the best way was to tie up and let them stand. So practice makes perfect I guess. Is there other ways? And how to get a good woah with a stand?

Well tying them teaches them to stand tied pretty well. But it doesn't do much for standing when you hold them. But it's the same idea. Practice, practice, practice. I don't have enough patience anymore so my horses don't stand very well.

My horses learn to stand through groundwork training. I don't make them stand still or stand tied for a long time, as that would just make them bored and restless. So they only stand for a little while but if they move, they do more work. Same principle in the round pen. I teach whoa in the round pen at liberty when I am teaching them to stay at a trot. Later on, the two come together in harness. I am very insistent that my horses have a solid whoa before they are every hitched. It is vital to a safe drive. Good luck and have fun with your mini!

I can tie my horses to a tree or fence or whatever, but for me that is training patience, relax, being tied, to be away from a buddy and/or to be more independent. This would not be training for a “stand“ … actually a stand still and don’t move…. because I’m am not around at the time, I am usually doing barn chores or whatever, so they don’t really get the concept of “stand” if they are pawing or being impatient.

When working with my horses in hand on a halter, this is how I teach whoa, then stand and what works for me. I make sure my horse can walk when I walk and trot when I trot. Then I whoa (briefly), if they move forward then I back them up. Eventually I increase time when I will ask for whoa and if they move a foot, then I back the foot up, so they aren’t allowed to move the foot (except to square up). Then I increase the whoa to a stand. If they move a foot in the stand then I move the foot back to where it was. It just takes time and patience.

If they are young I dont ask them to stand for very long because they can’t STAND it! 🤣🤣

Each is an individual. All of mine that drive learn to stand for as long as I need them to.

How I teach it initially is dependent upon each individual's personality.

The easiest are naturally laid back. But this is where I start with all of them...

I start with leading them to the hitch rail. I'll "whoa them several times on our trip there. The initial "stand" is maybe a count of two, then we walk off. I always ask for the "walk" before actually walking, so they also learn the verbal cue for walking.

As they stop and stand, I'll add to my count. This is where it depends upon the individual horse. If they are laid back, time can be added quicker. Hot horses take a little more time and lots of observation.

For the hot, impatient horses, I'll add one count at a time, but I always watch their body language and move off before they start the move. If they move first, I'll step them backwards several steps. The idea is that the wrong choice is hard, the right choice is easy.

As the horse learns to stand, sometimes we will stand to three. Sometimes to 10. Sometimes for a one count. This makes it hard for them to learn to anticipate. As they learn, I'll sit in a chair with them and play on my phone. (One eye on the horse). As long as they are reasonably standing I won't pick at them. If they move more than a few steps, I'll back them up, stand for a short count, walk a little, then come back. Usually this lesson is taught after they have actually worked.

Eventually they look forward to standing.

Once you've become observant to your horse, and your horse has gotten reasonably good at standing, you can practice while driving.

My guys learn that they MUST stand while I get in the cart. And they MUST wait until they are asked to move off. This can be difficult for some horses, and will take time to develop.

While driving, I will ask like when leading. A count of two, a count of ten, a count of twenty, a count of five. This keeps them from anticipating. I'll ask for longer stands at the end of lessons to begin with, taking advantage of the horse being ready for a break. Again, nervous horses will take lots of observation to teach it.

Each is an individual. All of mine that drive learn to stand for as long as I need them to.

How I teach it initially is dependent upon each individual's personality.

The easiest are naturally laid back. But this is where I start with all of them...

I start with leading them to the hitch rail. I'll "whoa them several times on our trip there. The initial "stand" is maybe a count of two, then we walk off. I always ask for the "walk" before actually walking, so they also learn the verbal cue for walking.

As they stop and stand, I'll add to my count. This is where it depends upon the individual horse. If they are laid back, time can be added quicker. Hot horses take a little more time and lots of observation.

For the hot, impatient horses, I'll add one count at a time, but I always watch their body language and move off before they start the move. If they move first, I'll step them backwards several steps. The idea is that the wrong choice is hard, the right choice is easy.

As the horse learns to stand, sometimes we will stand to three. Sometimes to 10. Sometimes for a one count. This makes it hard for them to learn to anticipate. As they learn, I'll sit in a chair with them and play on my phone. (One eye on the horse). As long as they are reasonably standing I won't pick at them. If they move more than a few steps, I'll back them up, stand for a short count, walk a little, then come back. Usually this lesson is taught after they have actually worked.

Eventually they look forward to standing.
I like this method!
My problem is my own focus and perseverance.

Inspired by this post, I practiced with Billy this morning. Short stops with a cue on the halter. I am also teaching him "by me" and "get straight" while on a stand. He did pretty well--for having had no ground work in a few weeks. Weather, holiday, inertia... Hopefully I will do better now. Thanks for the inspiration!

This is yearling business, in my program. I go back to this time and time again, what is the cue and expectation for whoa/halt? When teaching tricks - especially teaching rear, you need to have an "off" button where the horse understands that 4 feet need to be on the ground and immobile. They actually learn quickly and it takes me about a week or two of being consistent before I don't have to train it anymore. My cue is my hand up in front of me, the universal "stop" action with the word "whoa". My expectation is to stand until given the next cue.

My donkey is another story though... I'm hoping in time, with enough miles, he'll figure it out. He's just 3 now though, so still very young.

Through teaching, most people tell me "I don't have a cue for halt, my horse just stands there." I assure you, your horse does not have a clear understanding of what the expectation is. It's just convenient to not move. Likewise, horses who aren't actually "halter broke" only know to follow you when they're haltered, not actually to understand halter pressure and body movement and how they relate to each other.

Anyways, the old adage, it's easier to do the right thing is my philosophy for training a halt at liberty. I will ask you to stand, and reward you for doing it. If you choose to move, you choose to work.

Best wishes (sorry for being long winded yet again!)

Latest posts

Back