Tilly and Ginny....updated pictures!! 5-4-2013

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would also suggest a vet check about the discharge. We don't want her to have an infection going while she's producing her milk, so I would call at least and let them know.

I was watching Ginny tonight and watched her twice paw at her baby who was just laying there. It looked rough on camera. I went out to check on her, she jumped up and nursed. What do I do? I have never seen this before. She was so good to her! Is this normal? I'm just sick!

She wanted baby up, it could have been cos she heard or saw something that made her nervous so she wanted Tilly ready to run. Other times a mare will do this if the foal hasn't fed for a while. Just keep an eye on her to make sure it doesn't become too frequent.

DITTO what Renee said. Sometimes when baby hasn't nursed, mom become a bit uncomfortable and she knows if baby gets up -- baby will eat first thing!

But it bears watching -- but no fretting!

Well as is well with baby and mommy, she is growing like a weed and becomming sassier (not really, but has a ton of personality) She is quite the bundle of joy!! Ginny is almost healed up, very little drainage, tears look much better. Some pictures of the minis from yesterday...I got the little paints a couple months ago, they are really coming around. Delilah (brown and white) was very very scared, I could not even get within a few inches of her with a halter and she reared, now with much encouragement she sees me coming with the halter and meets me at the gate ready to go. She is turning out to be such a sweet little girl. Her brother is the black and white one and he is just a sweet little guy too! I have one other Peanut, I need to get a picture of him up, he drives and rides, and loves to pull a cart!

Val

DSC_0053.JPGDSC_0061.JPGDSC_0064.JPGDSC_0065.JPGDSC_0072.JPGDSC_0071.JPGDSC_0074.JPGDSC_0079.JPGDSC_0083.JPGDSC_0088.JPG

Hello Girls-

When would you think it would be safe to trailor Tilly and Ginny about 20 minutes? I really want to bring Ginny and Tilly to the nursing home that I work in, not to bring inside like we normally do, but the residents would be outside having a picnic and Ginny would be walking around outside visiting with them. Ginny trailors excellant I am not worried about that, just Tilly. The elderly patients Ginny visits, many with dementia, just love her!

naw your little girl is just absolouty adorable! what pretty little markings and her head is beautiful!

congratulations!

not sure on the trip sorry... if you do take them make sure you put heaps of straw in there, when we had to take my foal to the vets (he had bad colic) we left them untied in the back of the float with heaps of padding and straw and drove REALLY careful (anyone who came up behind us were in trouble lol)

I'm sure the Aunties will have more help for you
default_smile.png

Yes I agree with Tina, even the most laid back mare would probably get stressed which could lead to all sorts of problems. Also I wouldn't want to put a new foal at risk to any outside bacterias. I would suggest you gave them the link to your cam and waited a while until she is older/stronger. JMHO

I would have to agree. That's a lot to ask a mare to cope with having a new baby and all people in a new environment. I would wait a bit, and take another horse for them to pet and love on.

Give baby and mom a little longer to adapt and they will STILL get to see a little one -- she'll be small for a while. But, then, there will be less stress. Many mares get tired of babysitting their own foals and leave them to fend for themselves in pasture. Once you see momma letting the foal spend more and more time away from her -- it will probably be safe.

Just an opinion.
default_yes.gif

Had your same dilema a couple years ago..I wanted to show off Mom and Cam and a group of people that watched him on camera daily were anxious to see him. I ended up waiting until I think he was 2 maybe even 3 mos. A few of the people that really wanted to see him came to visit at the farm and the others just had to wait. I think Cam had already mostly stopped nursing if memory serves me correct. I personally would wait or as diane said...take another horse to visit...maybe pictures of the baby and the next time bring the "real thing" and see how much hes changed and grown. Love that you are taking your horses to visit the elderly...so much fun for them. I cant remember her name but she is an LB member who lives in NY...she has a group of seniors out to her farm every Summer to see her horses..she puts on a lovely horsey demonstration and serves cookies and lemonade...think the senior home has their own bus. anyway I just always admire what she does for her horses and the seniors.Your horses are darling by the way

I just think that if she's like a month old, she and momma will do better. I think it's a great idea to take pictures to show the folks, then they can "get to know her" and will really enjoy seeing her in person in a few more weeks!!

Wonderful, and the pictures will give them something to look forward to!

I didn't plan on taking her until she was around 4-5 weeks old any way, I would take her the beginning of June and she was born April 27. I planned on 4-6 weeks old before she had her debut at my daughters kindergarten class.

OH!!! I thought you were wanting to take her right away! My mistake!

Okay, now that makes sense! She should be fine by then, and quite friendly. Your daughter will be the hit of the class!

No problem...LOL
default_smile.png

She has had so much exposure so far, everyone that has come to our barn to see her, it so helps that her mommy is a complete sweetheart, this weekend 4 little girls came to see Tilly, Ginny was just wonderful, they brought carrots and Ginny started to do all her tricks, started shaking, bowing, all without being asked. Silly girl! She is fine with her little girl getting attention, just so she can see her. We spend every night just sitting in the field letting Ginny eat grass for an hour or so and Tilly just wonders around while mommy eats. Tonight my husband was lying on his stomach with his arms crossed and head down, Tilly looked at him, walked up to him, was not quite sure what he was and pawed his arm twice, until she saw his face, then she felt better and nuzzled his arm. Pawing probably bad, but I knew exactly why she did it. This is such a great experience for our family, it makes me sad I will have no babies next year. I am not breeding Ginny until the following year, we have a vacation planned to Florida in April and I don't want to be worrying about her the whole time I am gone. I know this probably sounds so bizarre, but as long as I waited to see baby Tilly, I now miss Ginny's big preggo belly and all the foal kicks, and anticipation, but I love she is here and safe and sound!

Val

Ginny and Tilly are just so lucky to have you and your caring family as their owners. I'm sure Ginny is such a sweeheart BECAUSE she trusts you so much. A few more weeks and all should be fine for that school visit, but just be careful that the space that you will be using for them is 100% safe in case little Tilly takes fright for a short while in a strange place with several strange, excited children all wanting to see her close up!

Meanwhile, as suggested, send your daughter to school with several photos to proudly show to her friends/class - great way to build up the excitement!!

Latest posts

Back