Ticks, Ticks and more TICKS!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

O M G!
default_new_shocked.gif
Maybe I've just been lucky, I don't know, but I've NEVER had a tick problem like I've got right now. I'm assuming it's because I've never had horses in a pasture before that has so many trees? Regardless of why, what the heck can I do to get rid of them? The temps are no where near warm enough to bath. And the ticks are literally on my horses by the tens if not hundreds!
default_smileypuke.gif
Especially under their tails, near the mare's udders, etc. It's horrible. Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
all you can do is keep pulling them off.

Worm with Ivermectin, it helps to make the ticks not want to suck your horses blood as it is poison to them. Wont stop them from trying though. God, I hate ticks. Disgusting little army tanks, it is almost impossible to crush one. Yuck.

What about Durasect? Does it work on ticks?

If you will just move down here where I am at you wont have a problem cause it is just too dry for the ticks! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been told garlic powder not garlic salt will work on the horses too..Put it in the grain it will get it into their system and the ticks hate it. I give it to my dogs and I'm tick free.Sounds terrible they are so gross.

There is a product called Co-Ral Dust that comes in a 'shaker' type can. You can get it at farm stores. It works great! You can sprinkle it on them. To get it under their tails and their arm pits and in between their hind legs, you can pour it in your hand and rub it on them. I think it says to use gloves to do this, but I don't. I just wash my hands good after applying it.

If your pasture area borders areas where there are cattle, the ticks are usually worse. Ticks are just part of Missouri!! LOL

Pam

I can't help you with what to use to get them off, but I'm told guineas are good for controlling them. We have both guineas and chickens and not much problem with ticks. I couldn't say for sure if it works or just coincidence.

I bought a mare years ago from OK. When I shaved her neck, face and bridle path, she was loaded with

THOUSANDS of ticks
default_smileypuke.gif
default_smileypuke.gif
default_smileypuke.gif
. My vet recommened frontline for dogs. I dont remember what size I got. But it did the job.

I kept her away from my horses for about a week or so.

You can go to your local fram supply and purchase some Permectrin Powder for lice and ticks! Powdwer them once, wait 2 weeks and repeat! Should take care of the ticks!

Bill

You need to get some Guineas!!!!! They are wonderful, multipurpose, maintenance free animals to have around. They FEAST on ticks, and find mice and snakes to be a delicacy. Nevermind they are also great watch dogs. I won't be without them!

Joe

I've had reasonable luck with spritzing their legs with oil-base fly spray. Permectrin is the ingredient to look for. Seems like it keeps them off tails and chests pretty well. I spritz ears every day with the fly spray and have had no ticks in ears. Also helps with those awful little flies.

I know the ticks are supposed to drop out of the trees onto animals, but seems as though treating the legs helps.

Another thing that helps is using lime sulphur diluted in a spray bottle. This is good for all sorts of sucking parasites. I spray manes, tail bones, feet. A forum member told me about that several years ago and it is good stuff. Smelly, but good.

Ticks are minimal for us this year, due to the dry I suppose. But, we have tons of wild turkeys now so maybe they are working like guineas.

I dont use the oral methods as much because ticks are intermitten feeders so may not be sucking blood at the same time that the product is in the blood stream. The topicals work way better. If there is one or two in places like ears and noses that you dont like to spray our vet recommends doseing a cotton swab with raid and rubbing it over the tick, just dont get it on the horse, hence to cotton swab. hope you can get rid of those pesky infestations. They love the tall grass by the way so not sure if that is a cause of your problem???

Eeeeewwwww ticks make my skin crawl! If we have a wet season (not this year) we have tick problems too. What works the best for me is Zonkit fly spray. It has permethrin in it and has a residual action. I spray lightly for 3 days paying particular attention to the tail, lower legs and forelock/mane area. After the 3 days I spray once per week. But I DON'T soak the horses down with it.

Also spray after a rain which might wash some of their protection off AND keep your pasture mowed REAL SHORT.

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also google signs of Lymes disease in horses, I don't know if it's as common there as it is here in the Northeast, but good to be aware of anyway. Symptoms can vary, and there can be a delay of up to a year before symptoms appear.

I just went through treatment with my Welsh Pony mare, I don't have a big problem with ticks here, so either one found her by chance, or she was infected before I got her over a year ago.

Latest posts

Back