Filly has a Rash on her Nose?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minifoal

Reaction score
Hello,

I wanted to see if this is normal or should I treat it with something gentle? My filly born Aug. 7th., who we have named Sky has developed what I would call a rash on her nose. It's not visible in photos, so not bad, but I don't want it to get bad. I was told to put Tea Tree Oil on it but don't want to because she is nursing. She also has a little mucus in one nostril. I have noticed particles of hay stuck to her left eye lid now & then. She is very active & nurses well. It's really hot & humid here in Texas so could it be a heat rash?

She is very special. I have never had a newly born foal literally climb into my lap so I can rock her. She will have to stop that soon...LOL. She also walks with me on a lead as long as I don't pull on her. To me that's impressive at only ten days old. She has one blue eye just like her dam. Love her very much
default_smile.png

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thank you, Minifoal

1girls.jpg

Blue Eye.jpg

How well is the mare milking? If she has plenty of milk and sometimes streams milk, then it could be milk getting on her nose and then irritating her skin in the sun. A little desitin will probably help without causing her problems for nursing.

She's darling.

In TX, w/ all that white, it could also be a sunburn. I've had a couple of foals get them. We used Desitin as Chandab recommended. OR Bullfrog waterproof sunscreen works, too.

My thought was sunburning too.... It happens on the white of a horse, but usually where there is pink skin too.

Foals are of course much more sensitive. We have always used the human child's sunscreen.

Latest posts

Back