Post Tying.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have to add ...if he truly does have a bad temperament do you really want to breed that into your foals ?

Carly, i really think he needs gelded. I'm very sorry but i don't think it does him any benefit being a stallion. Rather than pay money to contain him, pay for pregnant mares etc etc...pay for the gelding. I know foals are nice, but...really. You have to look at the horse, the situation and really think about whats for the best.

I don't know what I'll do, I'm so torn between decisions
default_no.gif

I understand what you all mean that gelding him will be better for me. But I spent so long saving my money specifically to buy Toby to be our stallion, now all that time, effort and money will have to just be thrown out. Gone. I spent nearly every day with him working with him ever since he was 6 months old trying to avoid this... He literally was dead quiet, never put a foot out of place. I will probably have to geld him
default_sad.png
, but really the last few days working with him have been great.

Well thank you all for the help..

I really don't mean to offend at all, i think you're a nice lassy, but you have many years ahead of you. Years = experience. I'm 28 and only got my first stallion and ive had horses since i was 12. Its not a race, there is no NEED to get in to breeding and producing until you are ready and able to train. At the moment, i don't think you need a stallion. And honestly i don't think he is a stallion type miniature. I would geld him. You have a foal on the way (maybe two) that is enough to be thinking about at the moment.

All of that time, money and effort will not necessarily be thrown out by gelding him, as it has been a big learning experience for you, it will save you time and money and lots of frustration. It sounds and looks (from the photos) that you love your horses very much, but you aren't set up to raise foals and keep stallions right now.

For safety reasons you need some serious upgrades to your facility that sound out of budget right now. If you geld the stallions then they should all be able to run together and they should stay inside their fence enclosures without trying to escape and stabling them together in that shed should be fine. However, If kept in-tact you will need to build a separate shed with reinforced stalls for the studs, as the ones in your picture do not look secure enough for a stallion, and I see from the pictures that he already has busted out of it before. I also forsee issues trying to stable them next to each other in that barn safely. Putting a stud next to a mare in a barn has been known to cause issues, even through walls because he can still smell the mare and will act up.

More importantly is the issue with arriving foals, you do not want the stallions out with a new foal nor do you want to be re-breeding the mare right on foal heat, and that is what will happen if you keep running them all together. Foals are A LOT of work, time and money, and that is if everything goes smoothly. A pregnancy or foaling complication can cost thousands of dollars and or result in loss and heartache.

You are young, and have a lot on your plate with school and training the horses that you already have, plus you have a lot of big life changing events arriving sooner than you think....finishing school and maybe going off to college, moving out of mom and dad's house and getting your own place, getting into a relationship and starting a career? Sounds crazy, but having a barn full of horses will get in the way of those things, and could make it harder to make decisions. I bring it up because I had to deal with it once. I chose to not go away to college or get my own place right away because I did not want to give up my animals (couldn't take them to college and parents would not look after them for me). I held myself back because I let the situation get too big too fast. It took me a long time to sort it out, get situated and find the right person to put up with me and my zoo. I am still not where I want to be in life and if I could start over....I would not have jumped into it so fast. Just a thought, you may want to ask yourself why you need to breed your horses? Isn't owning and training them enough? In the "horse business/world" for the most part anyway, the horses chosen for stud are supposed to be the flawless ones who have competed and won awards and essentially earned their right to pass on their genes. I am in no way trying to insult you, but I believe that your colt is not breeding stallion material, as other members have said and I think that you two will both be much better off if he is gelded.

I'm not saying you should give up on breeding horses forever, I just do not think you are ready yet. I think if you wait until you are better prepared, you will be much happier. From the looks of some of your pictures, your mare may already may be in foal, so if you geld the stallions, you would still have one of their babies, so it would not be a loss anyway as you will have a baby to train that will take up all of your time instead of an unruly colt. You really have some important decisions to make in regards to the stallions as well as some safety upgrades to barns and fences in the near future. I certainly hope that you can get it straightened out, best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with quite a few of these folks, Carly. If you've been following my thread on Mare Stare forum, you know that even experienced horse owners/breeders can occasionally have fencing issues - causing some serious $$ expenditures and heart ache. There were reasons for our issues, but it doesn't change the fact that ponies got into wrong areas and we now have unplanned, multiple foals coming. And these are from well known and shown/proven pedigrees and working lines - but at a stage when we really didn't "need them" right now. They are/were being planned for in the future, just not this year. I have, in the past, not had problems with waiting to breed mares - just didn't have all the issues with moving and help and fencing.

Please also remember that gelding Toby will not automatically make him a trained horse. He will still have issues. He will just have the hormone side of those issues removed - improving his disposition, his attention span and even his "caring" about you.

In one of your other posts you also mentioned that you have some health issues. It might be time to seriously consider that/those as well. If you get injured - how will it affect those health issues OR how will the health issues hinder you healing from an injury. You can still get injured while working with mares, geldings and foals, YES, but there is less chance of having a hormone driven injury by a "hot stud". What would your parents do, if he comes at you again and hurts you - putting you in the hospital? Who would care for your horses? You've also mentioned they have less knowledge than you do when it comes to the horses... Just another subject of horse ownership that you need to responsibly consider...

Yikes, I feel like I've just become the dark cloud raining on your parade or a wet blanket.
default_sad.png
We are all still here to read/listen as you make your choices.

Have a couple of other things to let you know.

1 - I've not always agreed that a stallion doesn't make a good first horse. In some cases, I've seen it work and turned out AWESOME in not one breed, but many. But those stallions were trained previous to the owner getting them and those "green owners" were working directly with trainers/instructors that knew what they were doing. AND those stallions were EXEMPLARY and a little RARE in their own attitudes. I feel that there are too many things against you in your case, though, which is why I agree with what others have stated about gelding Toby. I have also seen debilitating injuries and when I was 13, witnessed a full size stallion tear a barn employee apart at a major breeding facility.

2 - I'm not the first one to jump on the bandwagon that "green + green = black & blue". I have actually encouraged SOME newbies to get young, green horses and learn with them. However, that comes after many years of working with people and horses and understanding personalities - of both the horse and the new owner. There used to be, here in the States, 4H programs that teamed up and ENCOURAGED a young, green 4Her (children 8 - 18 yrs of age) to start with a weanling, yearling or 2 yr old. I don't know if these programs still exist in some states - they don't here in NC. However, again, it was done with solid 4H leaders with experience and instructors ready and available for questions and guidance and again - the horses and 4Hers were often well paired. It DOES/CAN work.

But as a mom, a horses breeder and trainer - I've also been in the boat where I DID NOT let one of my daughters (who loves to ride) anywhere near a green horse. WHY? She didn't have the personality for TRAINING/SCHOOLING or the ATTENTION SPAN to catch the little things that gave warning of a pending problem or explosion. UNTIL she met "THE HORSE". That yearling filly followed her around the breeder's pasture for several hours (a filly no one could catch except at feeding time when she was run into the barn). We visited a couple more times and that filly would come running from the far ends of acres of pasture when 'Dira entered the gate! It was pretty darned amazing. I was torn but finally agreed to buy the filly. It did turn out to be a match that was close to perfect. It didn't always work - and 2x Madira was seriously injured and hospitalized - just from young people/young horse lack of attention. Even with good coverage of insurance - those two injuries were EXPENSIVE and thankfully didn't involve head injuries or ambulance/Life Flight time. BUT that mare was 'Dira's until the day she trotted over the Rainbow Bridge a couple years ago and she is still VERY MUCH MISSED by both Madira and myself. As a young adult, Madira still very rarely handles any green/young horses - just does not work with her own personality and her own comment "..I don't like constantly having to watch/school/train. I want to ride to enjoy myself..." A very telling statement!!

Then, there is also the horses temperament to consider. This colt has obviously had a good sound temperament in the past. It is more than possible he just is not cut out to be a stallion. I had a colt who was absolutely HORRID as an entire. He was a bully and no pleasure to own at all, and I have had entires all my life. I had him gelded and it took him a while to settle (a full year in the end) but I have the facilities to keep entires and he was no real trouble, and after a year he had started to settle. Now he is everyone's favourite, a real sweetheart.

I've been there, done that. I've bought several stallions thruought the years and I'll honestly can tell you I could care less if I own one ever again. Now never say never BUT I'm very much happy with that decision.

This way I can focus on my mares. I buy the ones I like and I show them and get them known and then I send them out to the stallion I like and pay a stud fee. Is it cheaper hmm maybe not, guess it all depends on how you look at it. This way I can send my mares out to a variety of different stallions and not be so exclusive to just the one stud. Not every farm needs a stallion. I know with you in Australia I don't have a clue what your situation is if you can even do something like that.

The way I see it is you got two choices. Both will cost you money. 1. Send your colt to a trainer NOW so you can nip this in the butt AND have the trainer give you lessons because the trainer can put manners in this colt but he will be right back at it if you don't show him who's the leader of the herd. Or 2. geld him, and I still suggest you get some lessons.

I was in your shoes once too, I know how hard it can be and how expensive it can be. The horse business is not for the faint of heart. I have more than once considered getting out of it but I'm still here. Also what are your goals to breed? It has taken me about 10 years to figure it out.

OK - I've read most of these, and was not going to say anything, but I am a mother, and a grandmother. I've been around horses for over 50 years. And I am going to tell you something you are NOT going to like to hear. Don't take it as a personal attack....if you were my granddaughter and she was having these problems, I would tell her the same thing.

You are in over your head. You have no experience, you have no idea what you are doing, your parents are of no help to you because they don't know anything about horses. So you are "flying blind." You have several options, but my first thought is you should NOT be breeding any mares until you have a much much better understanding of how a horse's mind works. I know every kid wants to have a "cute baby" to play with, but the best way for you to learn about horses is to get an older, WELL trained horse that is able to teach YOU. Learn about how it thinks. Learn about it's instincts. A horse does not think like a dog and it most certainly does not think like a human being. All you are doing is beating your head against the wall and as much as you love your horses, you are creating a MONSTER and a very dangerous horse. He WILL hurt you. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but you WILL get hurt if this is allowed to continue.

So I am going to echo what others have said. GELD him. Doing this will control his studdy behavior, but he still will have to be taught manners and to respect you and your space, and gelding him won't do that.....YOU have to teach him that. And it is obvious you alone cannot do it. Find someone who can teach you how to teach him....You have a lot of learning to do. If you cannot find someone to help you, perhaps you need to sell him. I wish you all the best and hope you come to a solution before this gets any worse.

One thing I think I find is a lack of genuine consistency. You have tried loads of things but never stuck to anything. It's not a magic fix. You very well may need to do something every single day for the next two years to see any improvement. One or two days work is not going to make any difference. However I think this is hungry coming from a lack of experience. Training a young horse is so much more different to playing with one who is quiet.

You need help. If your parents can't afford a teacher or don't want to get you one you need to consider the options. I've just read another post saying he hurt you. That's not okay
default_sad.png

I actually did what you are doing, but I did not have the Internet and I am absolutely POSITIVE that my parents did not know even one small fraction of what I was doing as I kept the horses a mile from my house. The first time I went to go into a stall with a foal that was going nuts my Mother tried to haul me back, and THAT was ten years later! The one thing I did not do was get an entire- all the colts I bought were gelded. I did breed a foal, but I had a very experienced friend who came and sat with me when the mare was due, and gave me loads of good advice, and I took the mare out to the stallion. It was not til ten years later that I finally bred a foal worth keeping entire. Between buying my first pony, myself, (although my Mother promised to pay all vet bills and to lend me anything I needed- like shoeing money and gelding fees) and breeding my first worth keeping colt I was hurt, badly, on numerous occasions, as I am sure many others commenting were- people of our generation just got on with it, I am afraid. Now we are trying to prevent the same things happening to you. Trust us, you will get hurt plenty as it is, by accident, without getting hurt by things that CAN be prevented. If a foaling goes wrong- what ARE you going to do?

I have thought about all comments and everything, spoke to my parents and all about this situation.

I don't want Toby as a stallion-Nor do I wan't foals yet until I gain much more experience in years to come. I did just get over my head with all the breeding, I didn't take into consideration about the complications and that I could end up loosing my mare during pregnancy. I would be destroyed if anything as such happened. I just want to get Snickas' foal safety to the ground and cut breeding out of the subject and just be happy with what I've got- Which I am so grateful for my minis. My mum said they will pay any costs for the vets for Snickas ect. And hopefully soon I can geld my boys and get a trainer and all.

Just to let all know, Toby hasn't reared or shown as much disrespect as he did. Im not saying that he is fine now, Just letting everyone know that he has settled down a bit and I think some of his reasons he acted the way he did was because I was confusing him a lot. He is the sweetest little boy when you arent trying to take him away from the girls and control him. So for now I will just keep him like he is and not try train him until I can geld and get a trainer.
default_smile.png

Good for you , it takes a strong person to admit they were on the wrong path and I agree , I think you was confusing him but things will get easier once hes gelded and will he will be easier to train !

I couldn't be more impressed!
default_thumbup.gif
It takes so much maturity (a maturity many who are much older than you lack sadly) to recognize when you have gotten ahead of yourself. For me the first priority with my horses, since they are not a business venture, is that I be enjoying my time with them. If I have problems interacting with one of them I will look at how I can change that. Sometimes I've been forced to admit its a personality clash or in the case of my saddle horses maybe just too much horse for how much work I want to do (sometimes gelding will cure the 'too much horse' issue..sometimes its a mare lol). Either way, taking a step back is a move you can be very proud of. If you decide to try breeding again, after you've gotten some experience under your belt , there will be many opportunities to do that.

Just a note; in my experience what you are seeing is pretty common with colts who are sweet babies but demons as they begin to mature. He has become a 'teenager' with all the personality upsets of puberty. Ungelded, he may get worse before he levels out and how he is handled now will determine how much worse.

Carly, I think you have made the best decision and I am so impressed that you have taken on board what others have said here on the forum. Its been clear from the beginning the love you have, for not only your horses, but animals in general.

Your willingness to learn from others to try and make a bad situation better, just shows your taking steps in the right direction.

No matter how old , we keep on learning, thats what life is all about
default_smile.png

Keep us all posted and continue to ask questions, its how we all learn.

best wishes

Ryan
default_smile.png

Thank you all. Makes me feel a lot better now that I know that I am doing the right thing and not messing things up. I dug myself into a huge hole and couldn't decide how to get out. Now I am filling it in and going back.

I'll let you all know when he is gelded. But I think that might be a while yet, maybe a couple months. No one is hiring people for work anymore, some businesses are but finding them is my issue. I was debating on selling my driving harness as I wont be needing one for a while now and using it to geld Toby, it will probably only cover half the costs, but maybe my parents could pay the rest (About $100-$200) depending on what I get for my harness. And I can always go buy another harness when I'm ready. I also have 3 bridles and bits here that I haven't used yet. But I doubt id get anything for them. 2 are literally brand new.

I was only thinking of selling my harness and all because isn't gelding a colt sooner better than later? Kevin is still a baby so I am not in a huge rush for him. Will all colts do what Toby is doing? We had a stallion here a few years ago and he was the quietest thing out. Could Kevin do it too? Kevin is my quietest horse, which is weird because I got him for Give away completely un handled and never touched by a human.

Thank you all again.

I applaud you!! What a decision. It may not be the easiest yet - but I think it will help.

On the bridles that you can sell - the ones that are brand new - research. If they are a good quality, advertise them for sale. If they aren't the best - you can still sell them - just don't expect to get a lot. Bits can be expensive - I know as I've had to special order many over the years. You could utilize that and again - sell them for now if you aren't using them.

Selling the harness will work for now as well - again - if you aren't going to be using it any time soon.

Every penny adds up when it comes to paying a vet bill. Have you checked with the vet clinic to see if they need any help that would allow you to work off your vet bill? Maybe regular transport is a problem for you, but what about weekends? Do they go out on farm calls and need some ride along help? Do they put on any specialized "clinics" that you might be able to work at? Understand - if they can, they may only do that on a volunteer capacity, too.

I have had colts as young as 2 months get "studdy", nasty attitudes and have gelded them then and seen an immediate change in attitude. Because of our situation at the time (children younger than 10 yrs of age in the paddocks and pastures - both mine and children belonging to vet clinic clients whom I often watched while parents/horses at clinic), there was no reason for the colt to stay as a stallion. At 2 months of age, he'd run down any little person (or really anyone he thought he could get away with it) in the pasture if they entered it. I have gelded mature stallions. Some colts will change over night with the surge in hormones and some just don't. It might not be as much of an issue for you, if you knew how to deal with the attitude and how to correct it without being "mean" or "picking at" the horse.

Some colts don't ever seem to get that attitude (or maybe because I've done a lot of work with our horses and they run on pastures being able to act like horses). It just really depends.
default_sad.png
sorry there isn't an easy answer to that one.

Paula has a good idea about working off the bill. I have done this with some of our vets before. My husband plows snow and I have cleaned the office, answered phones and filed for the small animal vet to pay off bills. Look around in your area for working student positions, maybe contact the local agricultural extention. Many rescues partner with participating vets to offer low cost gelding clinics, maybe you could reach out to them for help. You could try to start a go fund me page or reach out on on facebook for help. Maybe you could "sell" your beautiful photographs and the proceeds/donations could go towards gelding. You could use your drawing talent to make stationary, greeting cards or custom signs and sell them on ebay or etsy to raise funds. You are very creative, so use your imagination.

As far as training, I think you are wise to tone it down, as overdoing it was frustrating everyone. It is important however to keep up with his handling and working on his manners so he does not get worse, just stick to the basics that he is already comfortable with, standing still, leading and being polite, just keep sessions short and end on a positive note.

I'm not sure how comfortable of a working relationship you have with your vet, but maybe you could work out a payment arrangement? Do you have a regular vet for your herd who does their annual check ups and shots and is familiar with your herd? Once your herd is a regular client of a practice, you may have a better chance of receiving a break. Many of the practices in my area take vet students on ride alongs and let them practice their skills in the field (with owner consent). University students in their final year of school perform many of the routine procedures on lots of farms around here at a much reduced rate, and the teaching vet is always supervising them for safety. Maybe you could look into something like that for your situation. I'm not sure if there are any vet schools or teaching hospitals near by you but it is worth a try.

Back