Thyroid and r.equi issue in broodmare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DancinWithDiamonds

Reaction score
Hi guys! :saludando: Gosh, it's been awhile since I've been on here. I have a big favor to ask of everyone. I have a big mare that's been a broodmare since she was 4 (she's 8 now) due to a pasture injury as a baby. She's had 4 wonderful foals for me, although sadly we lost her 2006 foal after he was weaned, due to an unknown infection...I was hoping to rebreed her this year, but we got quite the surprise when we cultured her...

We got her culture back, and it was positive for rhodococcus equi. The vets are stumped as to how it got in her uterus, and one vet is wanting to flush her with Penicillin, and the other wants to flush her with erythromycin and rifampin which will damage her uterine lining rendering her unbreedable. I don't know what to do, I can't seem to find anyone whose ever encountered this.

I also wanted to ask your opinion on a situation on her blood results. We pulled blood from her when she was in heat to check her thyroid (since she had a foal last year with enlarged thyroid, but no clinical signs) and her T3 came back double the normal value. Have you ever seen/heard of this?

My vets are stumped. I've talked to 2 different clinics (who I've both used, one local, and one small hospital) and they both have no idea what to tell me. They've told me they will consult with vets down in the US, but it's been a week, and I have yet to hear back. I've posted on a few other boards with little luck, except 'why would you breed this poor mare again, she's already had 4 foals.' This mare loves to be a mom, and was a little confused as to why she wasn't put in the broodmare field once the snow melted...she stands at the fenceline at a least a few hours each day staring at the moms and babies. I just want to excersice every option I can to see if she can be bred again.

Can't help you with your thyroid question, except to perhaps have her blood pulled again for a retest?

As for the flushing.......... Our vet taught us how to flush and infuse our own mares and now provides us with everything we need. We use genticin, not penicilin.

Hopefully someone else can be of more help.

MA

Oh boy... something needs to be done for her. I will attach a couple of links here with some more info on this stuff.... It seems there may be other recommendations for possibly other medicines...

http://web.umr.edu/~microbio/BIO221_2001/r...occus_equi.html

Here's a great one and may explain what happened to the foal!! This stuff lives in the soil, etc.. and people with immune issues can get this too. They do not have to be exposed to horses with it to get it.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livest...acts/90-056.htm

Just a brief summary with some other links..

http://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd?rhodococcus+equi

I did notice there are many many articles on the web about it, so perhaps something may help you with some research....

Call the Colorado State University Equine Reproduction Lab and ask to consult with Dr. Pat McCue. The uterus can handle a lot of abuse, and if anyone knows if those drugs are a problem he will
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back