Thrush ?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullseye

Reaction score
My little guy has thrush, I thought I had it under control until a white crust started coming up. Now on his front left hoof, the frog apex is starting peel back(?)

Please help!

Your horse/mini will shed his/her frog a couple times a year. You will also notice them shed off or peel off their soles also. If you have thrush, the best thing to do is get a farrier out and cut away all the area in the frog that is affected so that you can get medication down to it. Then treat it with Kopertox...green kind so it is waterproof. Thrush is usually not a white crust....it is black stinking and texture of tar. Keeping a horse out of a stall also helps. And in really bad cases (I have a chronic problem in a QH gelding) use a round of antibiotics prescribed by your vet.

I get the farrier to trim away the jagged flapping stuff and I keep a spray bottle with dilute lysol around. You can google Pete Ramey and lysol spray to get the dilution recommendation. I just pick and spray daily until the feet look better and then just pick. I have pea gravel in my paddock. I also used a new product called "founder free" more recently which is a probiotic liquid my farrier gave me (not used with the lysol, but instead of the lysol and has no smell). You use sparingly and rub it into the frog and bottom of the feet with your hands. LOVE it, really cleans up the central succulus (can't spell) where it tends to crack. My guys frogs are awesome in spite of the horrible wet weather we have been getting in SE PA.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I will agree that a LOT of thrush is misdiagnosed. Sometimes, if the sole or frog sloughs off, it's just overgrowth that needs to be trimmed back. It's not thrush.

Andrea

My farrier recommends bleach for thrush. You have to hold up the hoof and pour it in, then let it sit for a little bit, put the hoof down. We treat once a day until cleared up. Inexpensive and does the job.

I hope you are talking about a bleach solution, something like one or two teaspoons in a pint of water. We did that last winter to harden up the soles that were washed out due to a move to another barn with a gravel paddock. It dries the hoof out and may also kill some bacteria. But please be careful not to make it too strong if it gets on the skin you would have to neutralize it, forgot what to use for that. I once had some on a pair of jeans and every wash the holes got bigger it keeps burning for a long time.

My farrier recommends bleach for thrush. You have to hold up the hoof and pour it in, then let it sit for a little bit, put the hoof down. We treat once a day until cleared up. Inexpensive and does the job.

Ive heard soaking in a solution of diluted lysol (2oz lysol per gallon of water) works wonderfully, it came as a recommendation from a hoof forum that im a member of. I would use this if I had a stubborn case of thrush. So far, Ive just had to use thrush buster in the past.

Pete Ramey also invented Pete's Goo, very inexpensive to make, and it works wonders. Wal Mart generic anti-fungal Lotrimen (sp) mixed with equal parts generic triple antibiotic cream. With generics, I use 2 oz of each, it only costs about #4 total. I mix mine in a cheap disposable plastic with lid container. Then I use a butter knife or my finger to load it into a monoject syringe with the curved tip (I snip off the very end to make it easier to squirt out. It gets down deep if you need it to, it works wonders, and one little container of mixed 4 oz of this *Goo* lasts a long time.

White Lightening soaks will kill anything lurking in their hooves better than any other product, is safe, environmentally safe, and will last a long time too making the sticker shock price reasonable. I scrub hooves with blue Dawn, give a 10 minute warm water soak in Davis soaking boots to get all the tiny dirt out of everything, then I mix equal amounts of White Lightening with vinegar which activates it. I use a small 12 oz measure, mix 2 oz of each and soak 45 minutes. I do this once a month in winter because the clay here sticks to their hooves, is slimey when wet and causes nasty problems

Soaking twice per day in epsom salt and warm water will help the thrush and make the horse more comfortable if the thrush id so deep it's painful. Then a diluted mix of bleach and water sprayed on will kill it as well. Then you can get this cattle antibiotic called tomorrow you put it right in the crack of the frog. I used this on a rescue last year that had deep thrush and it worked well.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back