Thoughts on imprinting

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are doing great! You don't need to find a trainer that trains MINIS to drive - anyone who can train horses to pleasure drive should be able to help you. Go to http://www.americandrivingsociety.org and look in your region for a local driving club, then contact them and see if they have someone who can help you. Also, check out the driving forum, which is a sub-forum here on lil Beginnings: We had a Morgan horse trainer help us.

No clubs in this state or even close to us. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on on training to drive, but haven't actually tried it yet.

We're in South Central/South East Kansas. We're considered SE, but we're closer to the center than to the East.

Sorry but being a mini equine farrier, my biggest pet peeves is a untuchable foal or horse. I have farms who have no halters or catchable horses and expect me to spend time chasing horses around to trim feet on horses who would rather die then let me trim and be caught. (uneceptable!)

So imprinnting/disaplined/trainned horses are a MUST in my book.

Also if Im was out horse shopping for a foal or adult, if it dont want to be caught or handled, its a defent no sale!

Only my opinion.

If its rescued horses... different opinion there! Then and only then, I will understand.

Mindylee-imprinting is a long process done immediately when you he foal is born. It is a process i definitely do not agree with and current research shows is not effective in the way people want it to be. Training and discipling foals-absolutely. Imprinting-no, thank you.

I've only been lurking on this thread, but now I feel that I must respond as I think some are confused on this subject. Back in the day when we bred and raised arabs this topic was just beginning. In its truest form it is very mean to the mare and the foal, and we never allowed it here. This is how it was started, trainers thought that this process would make the horse more managable, maybe so, but I would never tie a mare up that has just delivered, hold the foal on the ground for an hour or more, rub it all over, stick my fingers in its mouth and rub its gums, turn on my clippers and spend time tubbing them down with clippers, putting on rugs, a halter on a off, and many other things.

With that said, when our foals are born, yes, they are examined quickly, navel checked, a quick check on the palate, ointment in the eyes, then left with mom to learn how to nurse and bond, and be a horse.

My hubby is also a farrier, we also show, so clipping is important as is a trained horse for hoof trims.

Some think that we actually trim their hooves too young, but not in my book. At three weeks of age I hold the little one in my lap and hubby rasps the tiny hooves, it doesn't take to long and they don't mind, as I'm talking to them and scratching them.

The weather dictates when they are clipped or not, but I use the same in my daughters lap while I clip just a little while they are still young, it they need a full body clip I usually wait until it is hot outside as I feel that the foal coat is there for a reason. We take our time with halter breaking and usually use Mom to follow the first few lessons, all of our foals are also taught to tie and cross tie usally before they are even four months old. I don't wean until they are six months, but once I did wean one at four months as he was being shown. To each his own, maybe you could visit some big horse sites and look up imprinting as I probably haven't explained it very well. Good luck with your new foal.

I agree- it is amazing the number of people who confuse "imprinting" with handling!

I have only imprinted 2 foals out of 7 born here. Both turned out as good lil horses and not spoiled lil brats. I guess it depends on how you imprint vrs train your foal. I kept one (planned too before her birth) of the 2 and shes a favorite among anyone who visits the farm. Very friendly and well behaved and such a sweetheart. She also is a show horse too.

As far as the rest of the foals I bred, they where trained as I knew they would be for sale after weaning so I did not want them to bond with me.

So to answer the op question... yes I imprint ones I plan to keep BUT no on ones I plan to sell.

You are right. I've heard of imprinting, have heard a bit about it, but seems far more extensive than what I believed to be imprinting. I have to lean to the side that I don't really agree with it as it seems unnecessary if the foal is handled every day from day 1. But I don't really understand why an imprinted horse would be any more of a terror than a horse that has been handled a lot?

Small stars... If you don't imprint a foal correctly, you can screw it up for life by imprinting the incorrect programming for its brain. Not everyone understands imprinting fully, and just do whatever...

Agree with Disney 100%

Stars, you imprint in a very concentrated way, one that is, I think, invasive to the animals instincts and it destroys all the natural "fear" that leads to respect. Imprinted horses, basically, think they are humans and think you are a horse- there are no boundaries. We were left with a 14.2hh monster who would crowd into our space and fight us for dominance, as her instincts led her to believe we were all the same animals! We finally found her a home with a wonderful family who channeled her potential aggression into kicking a big football around, and very slowly integrated her with other horses. She was never really happy in a herd, but she did reach the point, finally, where she could be left in a stall, and not have to live in the back yard!!! We were NOT newcomers to horses or breeding, we never allowed her to get away with anything as a foal, the imprinting was accidental as she was bucket raised, but we missed the point at which she should have gone into a herd and learned she was a horse, and that is the real danger. Personally I don't think it is acceptable even if it is done "right" but it is so often not done right that I think the whole thing should just be consigned to the "dump" bin of life!!!

I have to agree with rabbitsfizz on space...

My lil mare is joined at my hip when Im in the pasture. She still respects me, but right there for every movement! If I push her away, she dose look at me sad and goes, but if I say nothing, VELCRO!

LOL

She however dose live in a mare herd in a pasture and has since birth, so maybe thats Y she knows shes a horse and is better then most imprinted horses.

I guess I never seen a imprinted foal other then mine and have not seen what a bad outcome looks like.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The only experience I suppose I would have one is a paint filly we had many years ago that had been a bottle baby. She was raised in the house and thought herself a person, but got along well with other horses too. The person that raised her did a very good job as she was always a joy to handle and very easy to break.

Thank you for the answers.
default_smile.png
I appreciate it.

Clinton has experimented and found that his foals do just as well with regular handling and desensitizing at a few days to weeks later, than at birth, which is what I think also. Imprinting at birth is *flooding* them. The most important thing as said already, is that imprinting should not be done unless it is done correctly. I personally think regular and proper handling, desensitizing, and training is the way to go. JMS said it best that you should invest in the fundamentals, (ebay) and you will learn how easy it will be to handle and train your minis with those exercises. I also always showed and trained Quarter Horses and have had minis for almost 5 years now. Horses are horses, size and breed do not matter in treating them all the same.

Latest posts

Back