Those of us over 50...the dreaded COLONOSCOPY

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
You know doctors recommend that you get a colonoscopy when you hit 50. I had one three years ago and had my first one three years prior to that. Colon cancer is the #2 cancer killer in the United States and it is preventable. Most colon cancer begins in a polyp and it grows into a cancer. My first one revealed a polyp which is considered stage 1 cancer. It was removed and that is why I have to have a colonoscopy every three years. If your initial colonoscopy does not show polyps it is recommended that you still have one every five years. My second one also resulted in removal of a polyp. I just recently received the letter that it is once again time for my "surveillance colonoscopy." Lol. I guess they have to call it something. People that develop polyps have a tendency to develop others. So, I make the phone call just to find out that my doctor is NOW no longer with that group of gastroenterology consultants but is still here in town so I will be finding him because he is one doctor I really have confidence in and is very likeable. When we see him out in public he always comes over to chit chat and it is never about medical...just pleasantries.

I know this is not a pleasant subject but it definitely is "anything not horse related" and if you fall into the over 50 crowd I really want you to go get yours if it is not already a part of your health maintenance. Just do it! Colon cancer is prevented by removing the polyps before they turn into cancer. The procedure itself is not bad at all. It is the "prep" that is dreaded. If you been there and done that you know what no fun is. Still, too risky not to get checked when you hit 50. My father-in-law had his first one ever recently. He is in his late 70's. It revealed a growth (not a polyp and was non-cancerous) that was the size of two marshmallows. The doctor said had they not caught it he was headed for some severe complications, possibly life threatening.

I agree, not pleasant, but the consequenses of not testing are much worse. I had two polyps on my first, three the next time, and two this last time. This last one was the worst, a different doc every time and will never go to him again. The prep was split, 1/2 the evening before and no warning about um, protecting your bed...... and 1/2 the morning of. Then, on the way to the place, they call and say, OH, you have ITP (bleeding disorder), yes, I have been trying to make sure they knew that and also knew that my numbers were good enough and not a worry, well they worried, I had to go have a blood draw at a hospital, then go the scoping place. There, they said my numbers were low (duh) and they would not remove any large polyps if I had them so did I want to go ahead anyway. Well, let's see, I was there, had a driver, had prepped. So yeah. They found two small polyps and did remove them. The guy was pretty rough, I kept asking for more drugs and he kept saying, oh, almost done, you don't need more, and I had been dumb enough on that 0 - 10 scale, my 10 was a total knee replacement so using that, the number was low, but man, I was hurting. Won't do that again, will give them a good solid, higher number!! and it will be a different doc!!

I would rather do the all day prep, I had bariatric surgery so have a very small stomach and the volume is a lot. Split in 1/2 just didn't cut it for me. At least now I remember my first guy's name so I will go back to him.

My husband gets them every 6 months since he was 37, he is now 42....he has ulcerative colitis, proctitus, and diverticulitis...Thats alot of 'itis' and im sure I mispelled them. He has gotten to the point he doesnt mind them so much (except the part where you pooh your brains out the night before). He enjoys the temporary high and the day off work...yes, he is crazy!

A couple of years ago I had a ruptured bowel. I was given a colostomy which 6 months later was reversed and I now enjoy full pluming once again. So, fast forward. 2 years later someone thinks I should have a colonoscopy. I don't think so! I did schedule the procedure. They were going to scope my throat at the same time. I just could not face the prep. I remember the prep when I still had the bag. I couldn't do it. I know I should have one in the next couple of years...Just not now.

Colon problems are often hereditary, so please, if someone in your family has ever had colon cancer, get a full colonoscopy. I am a colon cancer survivor. If you have changes in bowel movements - get a colonoscopy. Colon cancer can spread quickly to other areas of the body if not treated. Left untreated for even a short time, it can be a killer.

I had pain and problems for three years. At the time I had never heard of a colonoscopy or even colon cancer. The idiot doctor I was seeing, told me I was the kind of woman who wanted to be sick! My colon finally burst. After the surgery, the surgion said he had never seen such an 'old' cancer. He told me that he had never seen anyone survive with the problem, for so long. He said it was at least three years old. Exactly the length of time I had been seeing the previous doctor.

At the same time, a friend of mine was dating Ed MacMahon's son. He had seen a doc and had a colonoscopy immediately he felt problems. Sadly he died. He was only 44.

So don't be afraid to peer up your rear.

Lizzie

Time for me to go back again as well. Last time I had two polyps - but the doctor did NOT say they were problematical or indicative of pre-cancer. I loathe the prep but the rest was a breeze. And the nurse that tucked the warm blanket around me made me feel like a little kid, safe and sound in bed again...

Lizzie you are lucky to be here but no doubt you don't need to be reminded. I am so glad you got the right surgeon.

Sonya, Jody, Katiean, and tag: you guys also are sure on the aware side of things. I would like to think our stories help somebody.

First scope was 5 years ago and they took out 5 very small polyps. Since they found some and I"m a 2 time breast cancer survivor I get to have them every 5 years. I'm also a diabetic so I see my gastro doctor every year as I have what he calls a fatty liver. Went to see him a couple of weeks ago and he remined me that this fall will be time for my scope again. Prep is definitely no fun, actual procedure is a cake walk compared to some of the things I've gone through.

My first colonoscopy five years ago revealed seven polyps, but for some reason they didn't tell me to come back in three years... they said five! So I went two months ago and there were two polyps. Now they said come again in three years.

For anyone who's had them done, we all know that the actual colonoscopy is absolutely nothing. It's the prep on the day before that sucks. But with my first one the prep was different. I had to drink a gallon of that junk. With the second one, I had a different doctor and I only had to drink a liter, not a gallon, so it wasn't so bad. I just couldn't get a gallon down without feeling like my stomach was going to explode.

Colon cancer runs in my family and it seems to be hitting each generation at a younger age. My sister wanted a colonoscopy when she was in her mid 20's but her Dr. didn't want her to but she insisted and they did find a polyp, so it's a good thing she had it done. I had my first one 5 years ago at the age of 40 and i'm due for one now, I just hate the prep but it's well worth it.

I did forget to mention the drugs are REALLY GOOD!!!!!

I agree... you know the old saying about an ounce of prevention! Better for some minor discomfort for a day (the prepping part) than the alternative!

I just found this thread and read thru it. My mom was diagnosed last June with colon cancer. Because she is very obese, has heart issues (has had a heart attack, quad-bypass and a new heart valve), diabetes, high BP, etc, etc...she is not a candidate for surgery. They did chemo and radiation, she has lost a lot of blood (they can't find the source) and has had multiple blood transfusions and has been hospitalized several times. Her doctor told her recently that there is "nothing left for them to do".
default_no.gif

My mom lives in Oregon and I live in Florida, so I have been having anxiety about her declining health and my not being close! I do talk to her on the phone of course which is not even close to making me feel better...I need my mom!
default_sad.png

OK, so I have just turned 50...and have been told by my family members to go have the colonoscopy done. Since I am fairly new to the area (moved to this town in September) and I have just recently been added to Deb's health insurance, I have not found a primary physician yet. I know I really need to start the ball rolling and get both the colonoscopy done as well as a full work up done.

Thanks for posting this...it reminded me to get moving on finding a doctor!

Your thoughts and prayers for my mom are welcome, too....
default_pray.gif

Good thoughts for your mom, Linda....

We just found out this month that my dad has colon and liver cancer. He had one or two colonoscopies per year due to having ulcerative colitis; his last one was in November and they didn't detect anything...I'm thinking because the tumors may have been higher up; he has a very large tumor at the hepatic junction...(apparently this is a fast growing type). He just had his first round of chemo last week. Very surreal....

Last edited by a moderator:
All this cancer just stinks....praying for you all and your families. I had a dr appt on Monday and she is now making me go for a colonoscopy....guess me and hubby can go together.

Linda, I'm so sorry you are going through this. My Mother in Law was always very fragile, she moved in with us when her husband died as she had lung problems and couldn't care for her self. After 10 yrs. we had to send her to a rehab hosp. and she was due for a colonoscopy, she didn't drink all the fluid the night before and they didn't get good test results. They left it up to her, but after we insisted they monitored her and made sure she followed through for the next test. She had a two inch tumor. She came through the surgery just fine, but because of her lung problems and being severly underwieght, which is why we sent her there to begin with, she didn't survive the recovery. It sounds like your Mom has a good weight, even if she is over, she has a better chance of survival then someone that is already wasted away. My Mother in law had a lot of other problems as well, she had a small esophagus, and I had to put all of her food in the processor, then they found other problems as well. She only wighed 90 lbs. She just wouldn't eat properly, no matter what we did, sending her to rehab was the hardes thing ever. Hope your Mom makes a recovery.

My oldest daughter is now a breast cancer surviver, after almost one yr. of chemo! Yeah, so don't forget you mammograms!

So true about the mammys ladies....my friend is 42, had her first mamogram....this am they did a bilateral masectomy on her, still waiting to hear from her family how she is doing.

I'm sure there are a 'pain in the butt' :p sorry had to add some humor to it.

I know many people are not a fan on regular physicals, but I think you should be more scared to not get one.

Back