This is going to be personal, but I have no one

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was hit by cancer, I did a complete 180 degree turn in my life that many thought I was crazy. I wanted to sell our beautiful dream farm, my horses that I adored, & move into town & have a normal life. Since I was soo horse crazy, did all the work myself, lived & breathed horses, it was a shock to my family that I would want something different. But I had a lot of time to lay in that bed & think. Thinking about all the stuff I missed when I had the horses. Vacations that didnt involve National Horse Shows, leaving the house for even groceries during foaling time, sleep!!!, but most of all remembering the looks on my young childrens faces when we had plans that were forced to cancell because a horse was sick or something else came up. This happened over & over. My cancer was a wake up call & I am wondering if your husbands heartattack wasnt one to him to. It took some convincing for my husband to understand that I just didnt want that life anymore, I survived something horrible & I wanted to LIVE! He loved me enough to agree to it, we sold the farm bought a home in town, & since then we have had a much better family live with the kids, spending more quality time together that doesnt involve my interests only ( the horses) we take 2 vacations a year, ( Hawaii, cruises, vegas, europe) my husband has been able to buy his dream car & take it to car shows with our son. My husband & I have date nights, just the two of us going to the movies, a nice dinner, holding hands.... We both realized we loved the horses, but they were taking over every aspect of our lives that we werent really happy. With ovarian cancer, it can come back anytime, & I didnt want to be hooked up to IV's thinking about the farm, or what I had missed out on I wanted to think about all the wonderful things I had done with my children, the happiness on their face surfing in hawaii, meeting Mickey Mouse in Disneyworld. There are two quotes that I really like "Life is not measured by the breaths you take away, but by the moments that take your breath away"

Maybe he just wants a change of life? Maybe he does love you, but is afraid to ask you to make a change with him. When I was heavily involved in the minis I saw a lot of cases where husbands resented the farms & horses, both in the work, the money & the time away from family. It broke up a lot of marriages. I am not saying this is happening here. But if you really love this man, I would suggest you have him come over set down just the two of you hold hands across the table & just talk. As him what his dreams are. Ask him what is making him so unhappy. Ask him if he thinks changes can be made, if he thinks he would be willing to try? It is a risk. You can make drastic changes to please him & in the end it isnt enough...or maybe it will be if that is what he wants. He has to make the step to set down with you & be willing to be honest.

And if he isnt, then take a good strong look at that you are left with. Sometimes you need a friend to take the same look, because looking thru tears can distort the reality. What will you have to do to keep what is important to you? If you have to let a horse go, you can chose the new owner, one that will love them as much even more maybe than you do. It is better to think about all this now instead of finding out that you cant afford to keep them all & be forced into selling them.

You are on a uphill battle. It is so important that you have someone to talk to right now. Dont let your thoughts keep you from sleeping, if you lay awake thinking- that lack of sleeping will eat up your body. As hard as it is,, try to keep control when you speak with him. Show strength..dont let him think that he has all the power of the decisiions of your future.

good luck Deb

{{{HUGS}}} I know how hard this is. I never had all the animals with my first husband, but It crushed me when we broke up, he never claimed he didn't love me anymore, but he was cheating, so that was proof enough for me. I felt like my world was going to end, but you get over that!! I look back on that experience and am thankful as I went on to meet my Husband now of almost 11 years and we have a beautiful daughter together. I TRULY believe everything happens for a reason, and you will make it! I think sometimes we don't realize the strength we have until we are put in the situation to test us.

#1 thing, that bothers me is him saying he doesn't love you, I do not believe that for a minute, you do not spend that many years with someone and not still love them. He may want to be on his own, and if that is what he wants, then all you can do is set him free. You can do it, and you may end up being happier in the long run. I can't remember the song, but it is about how things happen, that devastate you but push you on down the road to open new doors, and when you look back you are Thankful for what happened as it led you down the road to something new, and BETTER.

Hang in there, I know this is a very hard thing to deal with. I wish you STRENGTH & COURAGE to move on and always know we are hear for you!
default_wink.png

Kim,

I am so sorry, this has to be a devastating thing for you to go through. You have your forum family, we will all be here for you - your little horses will bring you a lot of comfort.

Everything happens for a reason and someday you will be able to look back on this phase of your life without feeling hurt.

Lots of hugs and prayers, we care.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I don't think I can add anymore to what has already been said, except...

A very good friend once told me "when you don't know what to do, do nothing". Those are very good words for the situation you are in right now. I have also gone through a divorce, it is very tough and devestating. I was one that believed people should stay married no matter what!!! You will get through it. I am a much better person now. You will find strenghth you never knew you had. You might want to try a separation for now, then do a divorce if that is the way it heads. I wouldn't suggest any life changes right now, you will need as much routine as you and you family can get right now.

Good luck to you, and please keep us updated. We are your forum family, and we do care about you.

Kelly

People talk a lot about us women with all our PMS-ings, post partum depression but Male Menapause doesn't seem to make headlines like it really should. It is a very real problem. They do not know what they want anymore; they cannot think straight, and they don't know what the heck they are doing. I do think that is when men go totally nuts and that is when divorces happen a lot. I hope he will see a doctor.

I'm editing a lot of my post to really just say I am sorry, sorry, sorry for you having to go through this.

I feel just horrible for you and what is going on and hope to heck this marriage can be saved.

Much Love and Best Wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you rush around doing anything.........BREATHE..........

Your husband is trying to tell you something about how he's feeling and what he wants, but HE may not even understand what he's feeling or what he wants.......

He just knows he's not happy.

I cannot imagine that he's willing to give up everything, including the life with his children.

If you can, even if you have to blackmail him, try to get him to see a counselor/therapist........even for just one visit to start with. Have him do it for you, for all the years, for his kids.........whatever works......

(IMO, He's depressed. But I'm not a professional.)

Well.....we made it through the cold war at my house last night. Allen came home from work just like always. We didn't speak, didn't discuss anything (oh...and I didn't cook any dinner either!). I was just too raw and emotional and the thought of him telling me directly to my face that he no longer loves me was more then I could bear facing. Hoping today that the faucets that made me cry off & on all day yesterday have been turned off and I can get more of a grip. My life as I've known it for the past 18 years is over and I'm not yet ready to jump off into the unknown life that's waiting for me. I spent most of yesterday breaking down in tears at the drop of a hat. Even cried while feeding the horses last night. Yep...there I am in the freezing temps bawling my eyes out while the horses eat their feed. They didn't care!! LOL!! Hoping I can maintain better control today. I am emotionally exhausted and didn't get enough sleep last night. I guess I'm not good with change and right now it looks from my perspective like I'm getting ready to be thrown off a cliff!! Well....nothing to be done about it. The cliff is waiting and my future is unknown at this point. Hope I land at the bottom safely!!

I like the saying that Addicted to Minis posted....when you don't know what to do, do nothing. Right now that's where I am. Yes, thoughts are running through my head non-stop about finances, the horses, the future without my husband, etc, but I'm not doing anything at this point. I really wish the brain had an on/off switch so I could just shut down for awhile. There's another old saying that I love too.....If you love something, set it free. If it comes back to you then it's meant to be, if not..... Something like that. Allen is getting older and wants to get out there and act like a 20 year old again. Just hope he doesn't find a 20 year old to settle down with and start a new family!!!

He & I will have to talk to figure out what to do next. Maybe I will be emotionally stable enough in the next few days to make that happen.

Regardless of what happens, I will always & forever love him.

Even in your time of weakness stand stong. Been there done that.

Hugs and prayers are with you to make it though and all will turn out the way you want it too.

THINK POSITIVE...when you say your getting ready to be thrown off the cliff & don't know how you'll land...REMEMBER it's not HOW you'll land but how YOU will FLY!!!
default_yes.gif

minie812....thank you for this (even if it did make me cry!!):

THINK POSITIVE...when you say your getting ready to be thrown off the cliff & don't know how you'll land...REMEMBER it's not HOW you'll land but how YOU will FLY!!!
default_yes.gif

I guess it's all in how you look at things!!!

I don't really know what to say.

Hang in there. How terribly sad for you.

I don't know you or your hubby so can't really comment but I would want to set someone free if they felt trapped.

It must be a crushing blow to you. But you will find yourself, your new self.

Everyone deserves to be loved and cherished, you do too.

Also know it is not you or anything you did it is your husbands issue not yours. Something he has to resolve.

I hope you have a better day today((hugs))

He doesn't want me, the farm, his daughters or his things anymore.
This sentence you wrote bothers me a lot. Are these his natural daughters, or yours from a previous marriage? I have not read every entry since this thread started, except for yours. He is showing classic "depression" if he wants to give up absolutely everything in his life and do nothing? Knowing and dealing with it is two different things tho. You need to take care of you and make sure you will be okay first. Some one does not just up and change everything within their life without a reason other than I just don't love everything any more? 17 years is a long time to "just go thru life". Hugs and be strong. I can not tell you I know what you are going thru, I can't, but I do know it is devastating in every aspect of your life.

Hi, Kim!

I agree with Marty about men at this age. I'm 47, my hubby's 48, married (good heavens!) 24 years, we have a landscaping business. Last year he informs me he doesn't think he loves me anymore, he's having feelings for one of his customers. Insisted it was mutual. Evidently she had better sense than to get involved with a middle-aged married-with-kids yard guy, and left town. Hubs came to his senses, but I see how vulnerable he is even now.

You've said you can't be angry with your husband. Well, I'm already there! He has said, in essence, that he wants to be irresponsable and self-centered. He can't be "free," there are people in this world who care about him and rely on him. He may be depressed, but that doesn't excuse hurting those who love him because "I'm not happy!" Sometimes feelings just don't count. I'm sure we all have moments when we'd like to run away from our lives (I know I do,) but we don't because we have people who count on us. We made promises, and we keep them. We put up with what we don't like because we care too much to be selfish.

I've got news for your husband. Happiness is not a destination. Happiness is a companion on the journey. She comes along when you don't expect her, and you may not even know she's there. She does not ride along on any trip that has hurt at the end of it.

He may run away from the life he has with you, but he is the source of his own unhappiness. A decent sort would only find guilt added to the mix. If he stays, and works through this with you, he may well find that the happiness he's seeking was there all along, just waiting for him to recognise it. He may not have been one for talking about his feelings, but he needs to be talking to someone now. What he's going through is by no means unique, and he shouldn't be making decisions that he may regret, just because he's feeling restless.

(((HUGS))) for all of you!!

I honestly feel that Allen is messed up in the head, depressed, whatever. He said that his "things" don't matter, he just wants to find happiness and doesn't need "things" to be happy. I told him that once the farm, tractors, balers, trucks etc are sold, there is no getting them back. Land prices have gone up so much in our area. Our property is worth about 3 times more then what we paid for it almost 10 years ago. You know what he said? He'd like to hold onto the property for awhile "in case he changes his mind"! Can you believe that? So.....I let him go. If he comes back and I still feel the same towards him, well...maybe. If not....life moves on whether we want it to or not. I too feel that he should be feeling extremely guilty for what he's doing. As I told him, there's lots of times that I would love to dump my spouse, children and responsibilities as he is doing, but that I could never do that. I made a commitment to all these things through good times & bad and I will stick it out, not run away!!

I will end up getting mad, but right now, I am just too hurt for anger to even poke it's head through. I'll get there though. It's just a matter of time. He better hope like heck that he's no where in range when it happens!!!

Our daughters are ours. He is their natural father. He says he wants to be part of their lives going forward. Hope he can spare the time for them in his pursuit for happiness!!!

Today has been another rough day for me. I know that this is all about him and what he wants out of life, but have weak moments when I feel unloved and uncared for. The old....nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I'm going out to eat worms!!! What could I have done differently? Why didn't he tell me he was so unhappy in time to work on it before it got too late? Trying really, really hard not to beat myself up, but it is so hard!!! I certainly wasn't perfect and probably could have done many things better, differently. Hind sight is 20/20 though and I can't change the past, just deal with my new future.

So...tonight, I get myself all dolled up, no more wedding ring and I go to the basketball games my daughter is cheering at tonight. I'm exhausted and really just want to curl up into a ball somewhere, but life goes on and she needs me to be there and support her. I had children and will honor my responsibilities and commitments to them as best I can.

Thank you again to all of you who are out there listening to me, supporting me and sending me cyber hugs!!! You mean the world to me and I am so glad you're there!!!

Good for you Kim. I am glad your getting out there and not sitting at home thinking. Have fun!

Have fun but remember you need to work thru your emotions before you move forward. So many of my friends after divorce, immediately thought they needed a relationship and then were hurt twice.
default_no.gif

Take your time, work thru the emotions, see a therapist or whatever, and once you are strong enough, look around. It may take you a year or more. I can tell by your artwork you are a strong bold person and that is awesome. You may not think so but it shows in your beautiful art work.
default_rolleyes.gif

In the meantime, do things that make you happy, taking a nap in the middle of the day, eat a big bowl of ice cream with hot fudge and don't feel guilty, buy yourself that one thing you saw that you said, no not today, call someone that you haven't talked to in awhile and laugh, stay up late and watch that movie that always makes you cry and eat popcorn and have a box of tissue, soak in the tub for 2 hours and just keep replacing the water -with some nice smelling candles, and a cup of your favorite hot beverage. OH I could think of lots of fun things. In fact I may just have to do a few myself.
default_wink.png

Still thinking of you and lots of hugs coming your way.
default_yes.gif

Kitty

I do not know if this is good advice at all. Just kind of projecting what I think I might do in your situation.

I'd keep on getting dolled up and leaving that wedding ring at home. I'd go out some but boy would I say I'd been out A LOT. Get some new "sexy" outfits, etc (hey, maybe even a wig -- they look very real now and not very expensive). If you could use some help up front, some "falsies" for in the bra. I mean, a real make over and flaunt it and be sure he thinks you are having the time of your life. Maybe he'll think you're having so much fun, he'd be better off joining you. My hunch is he doesn't know how to go about finding his own elusive fun.

"Hugs"

Just be you. Just do what you want and need to do....and remember you haven't done anything wrong.

I, too, feel that Allen is depressed and needs professional counseling. I hope he gets the help that he so desperately needs. But remember this is not something that you can make him do.

Lois

I am concerned about his saying he doesn't want his "things" anymore. That is not a good statement.

He will learn, as we all do at some point, that no matter where you go , there you are.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you and your girls.

Robin

Jill....your post made me laugh!! I am so not a girly girl at all!!! A couple of weeks ago, Allen told me that I had "let myself go". Told me he was amazed that I would go to town or somewhere looking like I looked and that men wanted to see women who took care of themselves. Told him that I live on a farm, that normally the only place I go is to Walmart to get groceries & stuff. When I go to town, I don't have hay sticking out my hair or manure/mud on my shoes, I do shower and look presentable. Told him that I am who I am. After the initial hurt subsided from his attack on the way I look (and after him apologizing profusely for hurting me)....I started thinking. We moved up here almost 10 years ago. At that time I started working 100% from home. Didn't have to get dressed and go into an office anymore. I had stopped dying my hair (started getting grey hair when I was 25 and dyed it for years) and let it go completely grey. Never wore make-up anymore and my favorite outfits were anything comfy that I could sit around in while at my desk....mostly sweats. Plus, I can't go down to the barn without getting dirty...usually get mud & hay on me, or horsie slobber. So....I guess, I did let myself go. I was living on a farm, not going anywhere and was comfortable with myself. Oh...also gained some weight. It is so easy to eat when the kitchen and fridge are right outside my office door!!! So....to try to make him happy, I dyed my hair, got my hair cut, bought some new clothes and bought makeup for the first time in years. No, I haven't transformed into a super model by any means, but do look much better when I go out....even to just Walmart. Started getting some looks from other men when I went out (what a boost to my self esteem!), but Allen barely noticed. I waited a couple of weeks and still hardly any notice. So.....asked him why when this was what he said he wanted. His response was the situation I'm currently in....he no longer loves me and doesn't want to be with me anymore. Well, at least I can say I tried. Maybe I tried way too late to make a difference, but at least I tried. It still feels incredibly weird to go out wearing makeup, my hair done and nice clothes. It just doesn't feel like me and I feel awkward and like I'm playing dress up in my mother's clothes. I am 47 years old and trying to awaken the inner girly girl who has been dormant for 10 years!! Asking my 15 year old daughter who is a certified girly girl about my makeup, having her help me pick out clothes. The whole thing is just weird!!! I like hay in my hair and manure on my boots!!! I like smelling like a horse and not perfume. I like comfy clothes better then anything. In the end, anything I did didn't matter to Allen at all. BUT....I will continue doing it when I go out when I feel like it as it does make ME feel better about myself. I will continue working on the ab lounge and watching what I eat in an effort to lose some weight. I am not in any hurry to find another man or get into another relationship. I don't even know any single men and wouldn't know where to even find one. If it's meant to be at some point (far into the future!), then it is. If not, I'll be fine without a man in my life.

Oh.....and Allen certainly doesn't look like some stud himself! All he ever wears is flannel shirts, Lee jeans and work boots. He's also gained some weight over the years. But you know what? The difference is that I love him regardless of what he looks like or what he wears. When you truly love someone, what they wear or how they look really doesn't matter. You love the inner person and don't notice the wrinkles or the extra weight. I guess that's the difference between the 2 of us, he doesn't truly love me at all. Probably never has!!

Latest posts

Back