This has not been a good year

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverdance

Reaction score
I was so hoping for a palomino filly out of my Boones little Andy daughter. This was going to be her last foal. She was 17 this year.

She went down and her water broke, but no foal. I reached inside and the foal was way back in the Uterus. My mare would roll and push, without much success. I called the vet, but it was sleeting out, so it was going to take her over an hour to get here. Meanwhile I found the two front legs, but the head was tucked under. I got that up and into the birth canal , but it was upside down, so two legs and a head, but upside down. When the vet got there, she said it felt like the foal was all twisted inside and seemed to have its hocks locked too.

My trailer and truck was stuck in the driveway (mud city around here now, as well as it is snowing again)
default_no.gif
So I could not take her up to the vets to see if they could do anything more there. I did not want her to suffer, so I had her put down.

The part of the foaling season I so HATE!!

It was a palomino, but I will never know if it was a filly...and I am not sure I would want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I am so sorry for your loss! Losing a foal is hard enough, but losing a much-loved mare makes it even harder. ((((Hugs to you!))))

I am sorry for the loss of your angle foal and mare. It is just heart wrenching. ((((hugs))))

You did the best you could do considering the circumstances. I'm so sorry!

default_no.gif
So very sorry for the loss. Seems it has been a bad foaling season for most including us...Prayers to you!

I'm so sorry for your loss. HUGS to you and god speed to your mare and her foal.

Oh, I am so, so sorry. Such a hard thing to go through. I am still waiting on my first foal of the season and with all the heartaches I have been hearing so far, I am such a nervous wreck.

I will be praying for you.

OH MY, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It's so hard loosing a foal and to loose both mare and foal is just awful.

I was so hoping for a palomino filly out of my Boones little Andy daughter. This was going to be her last foal. She was 17 this year.

My trailer and truck was stuck in the driveway (mud city around here now, as well as it is snowing again)
default_no.gif
So I could not take her up to the vets to see if they could do anything more there. I did not want her to suffer, so I had her put down.

The part of the foaling season I so HATE!!

It was a palomino, but I will never know if it was a filly...and I am not sure I would want to know.
I am so sorry! We just lost our first foal on Sunday, a late term abortion, and the mare has been in the vet hospital for three days due to retained placenta.

We've never lost a foal before, and I sure don't want to lose this mare!

People who don't have horses really don't understand what we go through when tragedies like yours happen. They simply can't comprehend how attached we are to our horses, and how an event such as you went through will cause days of tears and depression. I am just so sorry this has happened to you and your beloved mare.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mare and foal. Gosh, it seems like lately there is more bad news than good this year. I'm on pins and needles waiting on one of our mares.

HUGS to you!

Pam

My heart breaks for you, such a terrible lost and so heartbreaking, it seems this has been a extra tough year for those foaling out, don't understand why?? Weather?? Bad presentations, Foaling not getting colostrum,whatever the circumstances it hurts... Give yourself time to heal, please know those around here whom do this crazy thing we do UNDERSTAND your emotions and share in them...I am sorry.....
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back