Thinking of switching Strategy VS Safe Choice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I feed Strategy, just very minimal maintence amounts and my horses are fat and a couple getting cresty. This is also with limited grass and dry lotting. I'm thinking of switching to Nutrena Safe Choice. Do you think I would see a difference?

I have used both and given a choice I would take SafeChoice over Strategy anyday. That said it is hard for me to get Safechoice usually. I just found a supplier who will deliver to me though.
default_aktion033.gif

I've never used Strategy. Used SafeChoice and did not like it. Made the horse's coat dull. I've heard other complaints about it as well with a similiar situation and making horses skinny.

Marty hi,

I would try the Safe Choice and it is called that for a reason. It is safe and excellent to use of way heavy horses/ponies/minis and foundered animals. My vet advised this because it will give the animal what they need without gaining weight. It has worked great on a few of ours. I know that Purina has gotten a bad rap, but you are gonna occasionally get poor or bad bags from any company. If you check the bags for freshness and it's not there just take it back for another.

Good luck,

Jenny

We have ours on the Purina Mini feed and LOVE it. Our minis are in GREAT shape! We asked the Purina Rep about the Mini feed and he said it was designed for minis and ponies that have a lower metabolism that tend to get too fat, and to keep the higher metabolism horses on Strategy. We have one mini that is a bit more of a hard keeper and she is on Strategy along with our big horses.

Hi Marty,

I don't have experience with SafeChoice, but have you thought of trying Sentinel Senior? sentinel link

I have tried various 'light'feeds and found I like how this makes my horses look and feel best of all. I have found that a scoop of this has more volume but is less dense than other feeds therefore ending up giving them less calories. It isn't like tradidional pellets- but almost like a kibble...horses love it. And it is easy to get at TSC or feed stores..just a thought...

Angie

I'd like to try the new horse and pony feed but I can't get it here. I go to Chattanooga as it is to Tractor Supply to get Purina. They said they cannot get the Horse and Pony food in that store. Darn.

Safe Choice is lower in sugar/starch than Strategy, and even though you can't get it, the Mini/Pony feed is a bit lower than Safe Choice (just in case it becomes available). If you want to switch to Nutrena, if you can get it, try the "Lite Balance", its even lower in sugar/starch than Safe Choice. [i haven't tried the Strategy or the Lite Balance; did try the Safe Choice half my horses wouldn't eat it.]

Thats a shame your tractor supply wont order the mini horse and pony feed for you. My tractor supply started carrying it about a month ago, and its $2 a bag cheaper than strategy. Im going to put the new suprise on it when he gets home, but Domingo will stay on ultium because he needs the higher fat content when hes working or he gets thin ($21 a bag, ouch)

Marty... do you HAVE to feed grain? If you just put your vitamin mix (or minerals or whatever supplements you use) in some soaked beet pulp your horses will never miss it. Right now I'm not conditioning or showing my mare, so she's just getting a handful of plain oats in soaked beet pulp with her vitamins (Accel Lifetime). I usually use Strategy, but only if my horses are showing/training/working. It's just extra calories. And if you're not feeding the recommended amounts (a pound per 100 lbs) there really isn't a "point." Save the $$$ and just feed what you need. Feed what you need!
default_smile.png

Andrea

I sat through a lecture from a Purina Rep. I just had to laugh to myself as he talked about how Purina will turn away 1 out of 5 shipments of grains because the others are just not good enough to go into Purina products. I use SafeChoice. I have never had a problem with dull coats or weight gain.

Marty ,have you asked your feed store to order the mini feed? Mine started to order it for me and has now added more people who also wanted to use it. I did try Safe choice once and went back to Strategy. I hated how my horses looked on Safe Choice . I know some people are complaining about bad batches of Strategy. I never got bad Strategy but I did get bad Safe Choice.

They won't carry any of the lite feeds either. (sigh and darn). Purina/Nutrena and TSC brand Dumor is all I have access to.

We have always fed Purina products and have loved them, but the new mini feed, NOT impressed at all, did a test with it on 2 horses earlier this year, they went to heck on it in a hurry. Just not what I want I guess. I think it is for heavy, easy keepers, not sure, but it is worthless to me. We feed Strategy, Omolene 300, and some Omolene 500 also. Love Purina, just not the new mini feed. Did not like it as soon as I read the tag, but did give it a try, not impressed. Junk as far as I am concerned.

Barb

If I remember correctly, didn't you try the Purina Enrich product? If your horses don't need the calories of the Strategy, would the Enrich work, or didn't you like the product? Or perhaps a careful balance of both; the Strategy for flavoring and the Enrich to meet their vit/min needs.

I feed a ration balancer, but don't feed either Purina or Nutrena. I feed Progressive Nutrition, and was satisfied til I screwed up my feed program
default_doh.gif
, so I'm working on getting back on track. The boys are all just fine, the girls are more sensitive so taking time to get back on track.
default_gaah.gif
default_doh.gif

Barb, did you try the purina mini feed, or the platform mini feed? I know a lot of people had trouble with their horses "going to crap" on the platform, but everyone Ive talked to LOVES the purina. I was actually going to switch one of mine now Im a bit worried.

Barb, did you try the purina mini feed, or the platform mini feed? I know a lot of people had trouble with their horses "going to crap" on the platform, but everyone Ive talked to LOVES the purina. I was actually going to switch one of mine now Im a bit worried.
I have tried both and the PLATFORM Mini feed was horrible but I can honestly say that I LOVE the PURINA Mini feed and my equine pals have never looked better. I would definently recommend giving it a try if I were you.
default_smile.png

I use Purina mini feed and LOVE it! I havent tried stratagy or safechoice. the only place i can find purina mini feed is at tractor supply. They keep it because there our a few of us around that use it but they dont order much so you have to call and make sure its there so i always call when im down to one bag. Marty i know tractor supply will order it for you if you want to try it thats how we got them to keep it in the huntingdon store. Also go on Purina website and do the challenge and you get a ten dollar coupon emailed to you. I only have four minis so you know the mini feed lasts me almost a month. My big horses i just feed sweet feed mix but we go through a bag in a day.

I have fed everything over the years and still go back to Strategy. I have not seen good results with Nutrena in the large horses and have heard time and time again from people that have fed their products that they got bad feed, so I will not feed it. I used to feed my minis Purina Enrich 32 and was happy with it, but switched to the Purina Mini horse & Pony feed and love the results I am seeing. Some weigh over the top line and shiny shiny coats that are not bleaching out in the sun. I am hooked for my minis on it.

Latest posts

Back