Thin Mare......not eating well

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildoak

Reaction score
I have a problem child apparently. Have had this mare since she was a yearling, about 7 years, and never had a problem until recently. She's had 2 foals, no problems there either, youngest is now a yearling. Late spring/early summer, I noticed she was losing weight ...wormed her and upped her feed but no change. I brought her up out of the pasture to feed her individually, and found she was walking away from her grain. She acts hungry, runs to meals but only eats a little. Her teeth were not bad but have been floated anyway. She's been wormed with ivermectin, then Panacur powerpak. She was on Gastroguard for 3 weeks with no real change. I finally started turning her out in the yard, only place we still have good grass in this drought - she grazes and started eating again a couple of weeks ago. She's gained some weight and I thought we were out of the woods, but today she's only eaten maybe half her grain. Had blood work done last month too, the only thing slightly off was protein which the vet said was likely because she was not eating well. Liver, kidney, all other functions were normal. I'm at a loss as to what else to try. She won't eat Equine Sr so she's been on the Bluebonnet 14/6 pellet that everyone gets, along with alfalfa (she won't eat coastal), beet pulp, BOSS, Platinum and lately Fastrack. I've kind of thrown everything at her lately lol, and she has gained weight but she's still probably a 3 BSI. I'm going to put her on Ultium if she will eat it. What am I missing?

Jan

I had a stallion who did the same thing, ran to the food but would only eat a small amount, but would eat hay and grass, and would act colicky if I fed him alfalfa hay or beet pulp. Vet gave me Gastroguard and Ranidine in a couple of days the boy was eating and gaining weight. His attitude improved as well, he had become very cranky to work around. I also have him on G.U.T. made by Uckele. Perhaps you could talk to your vet about trying both the Gastroguard and Ranidine treatment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to Walgreeens or WalMart and get Omeprazole (generic Prilosec)in the pharmacy area. Give her 1 tablet a day for a few days and see if she doesn't improve. Most likely you will see an improvement almost instantly.

I would give her some probios and then have someone look at her teeth again. I have a stallion that I had trouble keeping weight on for over a year. His teeth were floated twice by my vet and then I brought him to a different vet and they found a bunch of stuff in his mouth that needed fixing. After that he has had no trouble keeping the weight. So I would definitely not rule out teeth just yet. Try adding some veggie oil to her feed until she starts eating it all too. That's the only thing that kept my stallion looking decent while I was trying to figure out was wrong with him.

My first thoughts were ulcers, but I've never had one NOT respond to Gastroguard within a few days if ulcers were the issue. She was on it for 3 weeks - not long enough to fix everything, I understand, but certainly long enough to know if I was on the right track I would think. OTC omeprazole may work for some, but Gastroguard is formulated for horses and - my understanding - is absorbed/digested more completely. Haven't done ranitidine on her, that would be easy to try but again I'd expect 3 weeks of Gastroguard to have made some difference.

Teeth - my vet checked her, she had some small points so I had Carl work on her. He floated her but he agreed it probably wasn't the issue.

She's been on Fastrack for several weeks, that takes care of the probiotics.

I haven't tried veg oil, not sure she will eat it, but she does gobble the BOSS which I think gives her the same benefit.

She's been eating well the last two weeks, and has put on some weight. I just don't know what has caused her to suddenly go off feed again. She's bright eyed, doesn't appear to feel badly otherwise, actually galloped back in to me tonight for dinner.....but left over half in the tub.

I'm sure open to suggestions if you can think of anything I haven't tried!

Jan

I just posted about my mare doing the same thing two weeks ago! Lost weight, wouldn't eat but seemed hungry. I did take her down and they did her teeth but said they weren't really that bad. She finally started eating the alfalfa, then finishing her pellets. Now she's eating everything. Looks 100% better!

I wonder if the heat isn't bothering her....

maybe she doesn't like that grain for some reason. maybe you should try a fresh bag. How is she doing on her hay? Is she leaving any of that?

I do think the heat is at least part of her problem. Vets are all saying they have seen a big increase lately in colic & heat related stress here. Glad your mare is doing better - I thought we were okay but

Sheila, this has been going on since May...with 30 horses I've been through lots of bags of feed LOL. I did try her on Senior, she didn't eat it. May pick up some Ultium, seems to put weight on most horses. She eats alfalfa pretty well but won't touch coastal hay anymore.

Jan

My first thoughts were ulcers, but I've never had one NOT respond to Gastroguard within a few days if ulcers were the issue. She was on it for 3 weeks - not long enough to fix everything, I understand, but certainly long enough to know if I was on the right track I would think. OTC omeprazole may work for some, but Gastroguard is formulated for horses and - my understanding - is absorbed/digested more completely. Haven't done ranitidine on her, that would be easy to try but again I'd expect 3 weeks of Gastroguard to have made some difference.

Teeth - my vet checked her, she had some small points so I had Carl work on her. He floated her but he agreed it probably wasn't the issue.

She's been on Fastrack for several weeks, that takes care of the probiotics.

I haven't tried veg oil, not sure she will eat it, but she does gobble the BOSS which I think gives her the same benefit.

She's been eating well the last two weeks, and has put on some weight. I just don't know what has caused her to suddenly go off feed again. She's bright eyed, doesn't appear to feel badly otherwise, actually galloped back in to me tonight for dinner.....but left over half in the tub.

I'm sure open to suggestions if you can think of anything I haven't tried!

Jan
My two show horses developed bleeding ulcers even while on a preventative dose of Gastro Gard. It has taken an increased dose of Gastro Gard, increase of Neigh Lox, and added Carafate ( from the vet) to get them resolved. Plus, an adjustment in feeding - taken off grain-type products, fed soaked alfalfa cubes (not given stemmy alfalfa), fresh grass (so much for the show look), and etc. So, Gastro Gard alone does not always do the trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back