The Year In Review -- Your 2006 Changes?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Hi, Folks --

I know that the year is not quite over yet, but I thought it would be fun to take a look back over the year so far and talk about what has changed for each of us in terms of our horses.

This year was a "big" one for Harvey and I in terms of the horses.

In the past year, seven (7) of our horses went on to new homes. That's not an easy thing emotionally but it was necessary so we could move forward with our goal of breeding some nice horses and having enough time and room for everyone. We had not ever sold any horses before. We let 2 geldings and 5 mares go on to new homes.

The seven who left made room for six (6) additions. We were able to add 2 new fillies and 4 new mares. The two fillies are well bred and I hope to show them and grow them into future broodmares. Three of the new mares are very well bred and I think will really cross nicely to our boys (Destiny & DunIT). One of the mares, a loud B division leopard mare, is a nicely bred / built driving prospect and potentially a broodmare on down the road. While I am not shutting out future opportunities to improve our herd, I do think we're done buying for some time as I feel very pleased with what we have now put together.

Also, we bought our FIRST "fancy" horse trailer and we have owned horses since the mid-90's, so that was a biggy to us. Prior to this our only trailer was an 8x5 gold mini bumper pull that we still have and I actually still think is as cute as anything
default_yes.gif
: But, I do like the new one better
default_wink.png
: It has 5 stalls in the main part but the dressing room wall will "swing" so a couple more minis may ride in there if we ever need them to (it is fully matted and horse ready!).

On a real emotional kind of note, we took three of our horses to a show this summer and it represented the first time we had "done it all" ourselves in terms of feeding, conditioning, grooming, hauling and even training in one case. We brought home three firsts, two Grands and our very first EVER supreme on a horse we owned. Ding bat that I am, I actually got choked up when we unloaded our horses at home, just so releived to have "done it" and done it well (including placing well over my former trainer and her clients, and it didn't cost me a cent in training to do it!). I know there's been some "local" gossip about what we have and what we can do, so it was just awesome to set the record and sour grapes straight. It was a proud day.

What changes has 2006 brought to your own little horse worlds? (Tag -- You're It!)

Jill

The 2006 addtions to Whinny For Me Farm:
New-WFM-2006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too many changes for me in my small herd.... I did decide to add one mare and purchased a mare from Six Gems- a daughter of the black leopard Hot to Spot. Also I sold my '06 leopard colt and have one left to sell.

Not much, but it took me a long time to find a mare I wanted to add. (Next year I will be adding another!)

Oh, shoot I forgot!! My daughter, who always thought Minis were just a 'yard ornament', broke down and got a couple of mares! One is an R Appy mare and the other a brown A/R mare (this one originally from Mona's farm). The A mare is learning to drive and doing great. My stallion is under harness training now too.

This year has brought on a lot of changes for us. We had really just got started in minis this last year. It was a year ago this month that we brought our first mini home and were hooked.

January brought the purchase of our first registered mini. A bred black R reg mare. I stumbled across our stallion on the sale board while looking for stallions at stud. I had to have him and in March brought him home. July brought the birth our our first foal, a bay pinto colt.

With the passing of my big horse in July we went strickly to the minis. I finally talked hubby into selling the 4 horse gooseneck trailer in trade for something more mini sized. We ended up with a cute little 2 horse out of the deal.

I hoped for a lot more this year but am happy I still have my minis. Went through rough times and almost had to sell them. Looking forward to next year and showing and placing my colt in a new home. That hopefully will allow me to buy a nice little filly to add to the herd.

Oh boy ..where to start

I sold my grade ponies that i had (exeption of Coco of course, you all know how much i love that little horse
default_wub.png
default_smile.png
. This deffently was the best thing i could have possibly done but it was so hard. I feel i now have a quality show string.

I bought one new show horse, LTD's White Chief. He was exactly what i was looking for and i'm thrilled with him! He is on my show string for 07' and in 08' he will be driving. He will also be competing at the 07' AMHR nationals.

We had our first show season. Didnt get in as many shows as i hoped but then agian it was all ASPC shows. In 07' were showing AMHR/ASPC classes so i'm sure we will be busy busy busy all spring/summer.

I 'jazzed' up our horse trailer. We put a new floor in it, pained the inside & outside and replaced windows and it looks almost brand new. They didnt paint it my farm colors (green/silver/Tan) so i will prob repaint it before next show season and get my farm name on it.

We had allot of changes this year and got our goals together and future plans. With this, we left behind the first barn my dad built me. The old barn dad put together in a matter of days and looked terriable, it was the uglyiest thing i had ever seen lol. Toward the end of the summer i decided we needed a change, something nicer and more professional looking. We converted our garage into a barn and it looks SUPER! It was a new barn for a new start.

I'm really happy with were i'm at right now
default_smile.png

This year was amazing for me.

I showed at so many shows this year. From my high school's equestrian team, to non-rated NH shows, to AMHA shows, to AMHR shows, and then to AMHR nationals.

I have met some very nice people and became closer to several of them. I put a lot of things behind me (such as NH politics and the fact a dwarf was born at my farm). I really thing I have grown up this year.

Nationals was an awesome experience for me. I want to thank Linda Best with all my heart for allowing me to show two of her geldings in showmanship down there. It was an awesome experience and now I can honestly say that I am HOOKED. We have been planning already for next year, and me and Jamie (Feather1414) are so psyched to be able to finally meet next year. We have talked about it for hours yesterday on the phone!

I added a new horse that I believe is going to add a whole new energy on showing here at my farm. Mini Mounts Lucky Zeus really has a place for my heart. He has Michigan breeding and I can honestly say I love the line from what I see in Zeus and what I saw at nationals.

I have a feeling that Zeus is going to accomplish GREAT things for me
default_yes.gif
: and I am thrilled for show season '07.

My firsts that I accomplished?

- Championships in halter

- Year end awards

- Showing at AMHA and AMHR shows

- Overnight shows

- Travelling 8 hours to a show
default_wacko.png
:

- AMHR Nationals

- Bringing more than two horses to a show
default_wacko.png
:

I realized that my horses do not like jumping or obstacle so I am going to wait a few years for the yearlings to grow up so I can try them.

Next year's goals?

- Attend AMHR nationals again but with my own horses

- Get Diego in shape and show him in halter and liberty

- Start showing Dusty in CP and Roadster driving

- Have more FUN!

- Meet the people I have been too shy to meet

P1010124.jpg

P1010132.jpg

6d577007.jpg

c108d8ea.jpg

40156853.jpg

bbdbe832.jpg

This is fun so far!!!
default_yes.gif
:

I'm really happy with were i'm at right now
default_smile.png
I think that's what it's all about! It's good to sit back and be happy with what you have and see the future potential in your horses. (*happy sigh*)

Well, 2006 wasn't so much like we planned.

Didn't show near as many as we wanted,,,,,,,,,,,nor did we get the new barn built.

But then we hadn't planned on husband getting kidney cancer. But, the new barn money was great to have and use while my husband was off work for almost 5 months. It hellped to keep things "normal" for us. So glad we had been saving for a new barn.
default_yes.gif
:

For the same reason, can't in my heart of hearts make any 2007 plans either.

But we have almost gotten through today.
default_smile.png

From Nov 05 to present has been a mix of the good the bad and the ugly. I got burned so decided not to keep my stallion come spring and sold him, then I sold my Missy that was good, then I was down to only my 3 ladies and was considering looking for a man for them, then Treasure foundered and I lost her. I just can't seem to get alot of enthusiasm going right now even tho part of me would like another horse it is just not time yet, hopefully fate will tap me on the shoulder. One of our very special members did make an unbelievable offer to me and while I declined at the time, I may still change my mind as my heart heals, one never knows. I tell you...I "miss" the hours in the barn and even the work. 2 just doesn't feel like quite enough. Hopefully 2007 will be much better for me as far as equines go. Aidan is coming next week and the first thing he will do it turn to the paddock and holler " Treasure!". She was his special pony and will be missed always.

Well, 2006 have been a fairly busy year. I added two new fillies to the herd; one in February thanks to the LB Last Chance Auction and Fikes Minis in ND, and the second in October from Lucky Hart Ranch in ND.

In August, we pretty much finished up the mini barn; still debating about the type of exterior door and one more wall to paint.

Had one mini mare founder early in the year; with special diet and care she is recovering nicely.

I sold 2 full-size horses; one has been for sale from birth and the other was not what we wanted in a saddle horse.

Started my 3 year old AQHA gelding under saddle, still along ways to go, but he has a good start.

I'm considering selling my breeding stock APHA mare (first foal I raised), but only to the right home. My equine dentist was kind of interested, but hasn't said anything in months.

Guess that about covers my year.

Well I participated in my first showmanship class, hunter class and real obstacle class!

I purchased my first horse!

I also learned a lot about responsibility and backstabbers. I also learned alot more about pain grief and sadness.

Well gosh, mine is going to be a long one! :bgrin Started out this year on a bitter note with my mom being diagnosed with cancer, so had to sale down from the 32, to the 19 I currently have(well 20 counting my big girl Susan) Then more issues come up throughout this year,until mom has turned over the entire farm to me(as of me turning 18) of course she still will be around,and stuff, just "YIPPIE FOR ME" I get all of the responsibility of feeding,watering,grooming,matchmaking,selling,buying,showing ect, and let me tell you its WORK! However it is a blast! Went to my 2nd ever AMHR show at Tunica, and had a fun time, and learned so much, and have also learned that no matter how much you think you know, there is always more to know!

Had my a foal out of my stallion Mahogany, who is awsome,whom I get to show next year(the baby M+M which is also the one I showed at Tunica) I have 3 mares bred to outside stallions for 07' and maybe 1 more who is bred, however I don't think so....only time will tell.

As far as additions, I have added 1 pinto filly,and 1 sorrel filly, both are so sweet,and awsome. Oh and I have been having a gelding party where everyone besides Mahogany we're gelded,oh yeah and "NIKE" will be gelded soon, thanks to ya'll's help and advice about him, that he isn't stallion quality, thanks!!

Have set my mind on showing for 07', as well as breeding a couple more mares then normal for 08' . Thinking of attending Nationals, if just to watch in 07'. HMMM,thinking is that it?
default_wub.png
:

Oh,and lastly mom finished her chemo!! Now she just has some radiation to do, and hopefully she will be ok, they already say she is in remission,so I thank God for that.

Oh,and one more I am a full time college student(yeah I know those last things aren't really horsey related, thought I'd add them in)

TTYS-Sarah :saludando:

For the first time since we started with the miniatures, our breeding is taking on a new direction. We have always bred for the under 34" horses & we have done very well with them .

However, this past year we have purchased 3 ASPC/AMHR stallions -- 2 Arenosa bred -- one a foundation seal & 1 Seth Thomas bloodline so will be crossing those to our mares next year.

That will be exciting to see what we get & where we go with those.

Our Grandsons & Junior show persons are working very hard on the new "boys" to get them ready for next year.

Filipowicz Entetaing The Foulks or E.T as is knwon at home was shown this year & did up proud indeed. He is an amazingly loving & eager to please boy.

MacGuyver & Finny are coming along nicely for next year -- so change is good for us all.

Keeps us on our toes.

We are pleased with the new changes we are making,

Our little 29" blue roan stallion Boones Little Buckeroo Charmer earned his HOF in Country Pleasure Driving this past summer . He may be small but he can do it all. He has done us very proud.

National Reserve Champion, Several National Top Tens & too many other awards to mention.

Perhaps the biggest change of all was that I retired. And I have certainly enjoyed the past year.!!

I apprenticed for my AMHR judges card this past summer & that was an exciting time as well. SO the past year has held a number of changes for us & we have embraced them all.

Its the end of the year ALREADY? :new_shocked:

Well let's see..

I had my first year with my own horse.. Boy has it been awesome!

I also changed boarding barns, and it has worked out wonderfully. I will be able to show Willie a whole bunch more next year!

I went to my first World Show to watch, and it was so much better than I expected! So many amazing people and horses!

Well, this hasn't happened yet, but I am going to hook up Willie for the first time this November. I am SO excited.

Overall, its been a great year! I hope 2007 is is just as great, or even better! :aktion033:

Wow! Everyone has had alot going on. This is neat Jill, to hear all the changes in everyone's "horsey" lives.

It has been a rollercoaster of a year for us with putting our house on the market so we could acquire more property for the kids I birthed and for our furry "kids". :bgrin No horse purchases in 2006 but we did sell a number of horses to downsize due to our space limitations because the house sale and purchase were an unknown at the time.

We are in the process of packing as we speak and the big move is the end of October. We are moving from 5 acres to 460 acres. Yikes! Lots of fencing and barn projects coming this winter. Now it's time to look at tractors!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Well I to did some major changes for me. I sold 3 of my mares who will be leave either this week or in two weeks. Still detaching myself from them. I sold my only foal(who belongs to a forum memeber and I think has a very good home).

I also bought myself a new show horse. HE is finally home to the trainers now just getting to see him is the next step.

So now I am down to 4 horses. My appy, my new show gelding, one mare and a show mare. I still am undecided but I might sell one of the mares.

I am content now where I am at. I have ones spot open should I find another nice show horse. BUt I like where i am at. I have freedom for my life(which is also haveing some big changes done). I hope to be showing more and spending more time with people at shows, hopefully comeing out of my shell and getting to know them more.

Wow, there have been lots of changes for me.

Starting in Jan of 2006 my parents moved to England for 7 months, so to begin the new year my brother and husband with the limited time my father was here we put up a small barn. Then my mother sent my horse (Millie) home to us along with her mare Love and stallion Majestic for us to watch while she was gone. My barn was only a 2 horse stall barn so we had to make a makeshift stall too. What a winter to start back to barn chores...but it was GREAT!!

My husband had never been around horses and he sent us over to England to see my parents (best husband in the world). He and the boys took care of the animals.

We had a foal born here at our farm, but had to send him over the rainbow bridge due, Dreamer was named after our new farm...Dreamland Miniatures. That was a very sad day!!! We think of him often and our logo is being designed with him in mind.

Then my mother returned home to the US in July and her two horses went back home to her. Well, we know that mini's are like potato chips and you can't have just one. I can't thank Linda Best enough for allowing me to purchase a wonderful little gelding that I have had my eye on for many years...Patches now lives with Millie.

I have watched my daughter grow in her love for horses and ability to show. She has come out of the ring with a smile on her face no matter her placing and ready to go again. She has goals aready for next year and Area I is at the top of the list.

With Patches coming here it is has brought me back into the ring and wanting to show more.

To say the least 2006 has been a great year and just shows what 2007 has to bring.

The cold has returned to New England and with that the staying in more and the fuzzies on the horses. We all need to relax/rest for next year.

I hope everyone has had a great year and that next year brings everyone new excitment.

Its been a great year for my favorite hobby- driving! :aktion033:

After waiting what seemed like forever, I am finally driving my two year olds. I bought them both as yearlings but the wait has been worth it. They have matured into incredible horses and should both perform well in the showring next year.

keelydrinegelding.jpg

dandy

keelydandrive1.jpg

dan

I bought myself another driving horse. He is everything I hoped he would be. I am really enjoying him.

keelyblkpinto2.jpg

I also bought another yearling prospect to drive next year.

I finally bought myself showcarts too. I can't decide which I like better: my jerald or my houghton.
default_wub.png
:

Well, for me, Oct 2005-Oct 2006 was not at all what I would have expected!! I went from having no minis (but 2 standardbreds) to getting weanling colt Oct/05, yearling filly May/06, three year old mare July/06, weanling filly July/06, yearling colt Oct/06 and a two year old mare Oct/06!!
default_wacko.png
: We've sold one of the race horses and have decided that one race horse is enough as we got immense pleasure with the four little ones this summer!! We went to four fairs and had a great time showing! Can't wait until next year as we hope to have some of the brood driving!!

When I got the weanling last fall, that was suppose to be it......but as everyone tends to find out....minis are addicting!! :bgrin I think that we've stopped adding on until 2008 (when we start having babies!!).....although we do have a hay pen that could always be divided into two pens :risa8:

Well I must say it has been a great year for us here. During the winter a friend and me where talking about shows, but he made mistake of saying " you'll never do it with Tonto" boy was he wrong! I joined the MHCO for this year and damed if we didn't take Seinor Stallion High points! You see there is 2 words in my vocabulary that I don't know and that is "can't" and "no". Besides I have nomore room for Ribbons in the living room :bgrin .

tontoswalloffame2006.jpg

Aquired a mare for whom Tonto promptly knocked up :new_shocked: . The rescue Aurora is doing great, no real issues at the moment (knock on wood) Vet says eveything is good and should see a foal in Mar 07. So I'm converting the garage. I'm not having 3 running around in here, Tonto is like babysitting a 2 year old at times, Aurora is just happy to rest her head in my lap and get scratchies all nite! I'm starting to look for a small farm but the prices are nuts, so I'm taking my time. When it comes to foaling time I know I'll be pulling my hair out! Lots of sleepless nites abound for sure! My girlfriend made a needle point sign up and it says " Welcome to Half butt Acres " framed and hangs on the wall, I laugh like heck every time I read it and so does who ever comes over to visit!

Made a mini hauler out of my big two horse trailer by chopping 14" out at roof and wall meet. Made it 400lbs lighter and more fuel efficent when towing! Don't have all that roof pushing air now.

Everyone around me says I've totally lost it, but you know, the L"il ones help me keep my sanity in this insane world!!!!!!!

In all I can say it has been A FUN 2006 !!!

2006 has mainly been another "maintenance" type of year for us though we did have two beautiful foals, one of which has sold to a wonderful new home.

The other is with me hopefully through the Winter and into next year so I can show him as a Junior gelding. I sold a 2005 weanling filly, too, though I really didn't WANT to, I have to keep my numbers low right now due to young children and space constraints.
default_smile.png

I know in a few years' time I may add a new horse, but I'm biding my time and watching what comes around, and hopefully saving some $$$ for that next one.

Pretty much disciplining myself to stick with my plan of having one or two nice foals per year, showing and selling them to help cover the costs of my first love: showing my home-bred horses.

Started my gelding in driving and jumping, which is sort of new for me, as I had stuck with the halter classes for the most part. I am hoping 2007 will see some more performance entries and just maybe maybe maybe venturing into an ADS event.

Fun to witness everyone's "growth processes" be they what they may, a shrinkage or a growth, it's interesting!

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back