The United States Debt Limit Explained

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The liberal / conservative descriptions actually not my own definitions but what are held out widely as THE definitions. There are a few items regarding which I personally lean left so I understand clearly things are not cookie cutter. But about the things I am most passionate and feel are most important, there's no doubt which way I lean. Beats the heck out of being apathetic in my estimation. *shrug*

http://www.studentne...iberal-beliefs/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much Jill, I appreciate it!
default_smile.png

Personally I don't care what anyone reads, blogs, sees on TV, etc etc.... I think the debt crisis is a set up and was made to happen. It has NOTHING to do with who is President. It comes from the "Federal Reserve" and what ever bankers are manipulating them. Don't you think there are enough intelligent people in this country that could "fix it" ?

Who is going to speak up in lieu of being "taken care of " ??

Most people do not have a clue what is really going on.

It's a mess and God help us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people do not have a clue what is really going on.
You are absolutely right here.

We as a Nation are spending far more than we can support thus growing our debt faster and faster by the day. We need to make some serious cuts and stop growing our Government. There's very little that our government does as well as or as efficiently as the private (for profit) sector.

The above doesn't even factor in that no matter how you / we check the math, bigger government = smaller individuals.

Spending, and the progressive political agenda of bigger and more powerful government, is really at the heart of this growing beast.

here in Texas this has been Very Entertaining to read. I

work with people that cannot remember the last time they

voted (if ever) because they are too busy working overtime

and do not even realize it moved them from the 15% tax rate

to the 25% tax rate, or they voted democrat because their

daddy was a democrat, and their daddy's daddy was a

democrat, or they liked the way somebody talked with a

southern drawl (they don't really know what party was

represented), or he was black like they are and so the issues do not matter, or he was white and they don't want a black president, or a number of issues. Basically I am around people that stand for nothing! At least people here on this forum are passionate about something rather than having their head's stuck in the sand or up their posterior. I work with people that have never heard of 90% of the people who have announced that they are in the 2012 presidential race, people who have never heard of the debt ceiling, people who have never heard of Navy Seal Team 6, people who do not know or care to know who is in the president's cabinet, or what Congress is voting on. They look at it as "it is what it is." It is downright scary. So at least we can agree to disagree, beat each other up verbally, side with one another or whatever. I know that I will go to my grave defending what I believe in as a conservative/PATRIOT and as least the liberals believe in something although I agree with them absolutely NOT. It beats the heck out of the class of people who hear nothing, see nothing, speak nothing. I may not agree with everyone's opinions but at least it is comforting to know that opinions exists. Try being around people that can only say whut, do whut, who is that, I ain't never heard of them folks, no I ain't never care much for politics. It is like HeeHaw on steroids. Don't get me wrong. I grew up in the south. I was just like them in my 20's and I admit it. I ran on hormones more so than common sense and current events. But people need to wake up and pay attention. There is no excuse for tax paying adults to live like ostriches with their heads in the sand with no opinion or passion about what they believe in as Americans!

I'm glad you understand my 'sleep' outburst then Weebiscuit.
Yes, I do understand it. I could sense a great deal of frustration there. And I felt that maybe you were begrudging me just a bit because you thought I had it easy and didn't fully understand that you were going through some very trying and anxious times over your school finances. I just wanted you to know that your time, too, will come! I know it will, because you are choosing a good career, and I know you are the kind of person who will draw people to your clinic, so it will be a success. Behind every success story, however, are years of fears, tears, frustrations and doubts. In the end, though, it makes that success so sweet!

I don't consider myself and husband to be wealthy at all! but we are finally at a point in our lives where the mortgage is paid, we have no outstanding loans, we pay our credit card balance in full every month, have no car payments, and I don't have to stretch a stinkin' pound of burger into six hamburgers! It's just the two of us, so we can each eat a half pound if we want!

My mother has also never asked for help and while she is doing okay now, back before she went to college was when it was the worst. You and my mother worked extremely hard for what you've got, but that's not just intelligence that gets you there, it's will power, strength...and maybe add a little touch of stubborn in there
default_smile.png
Many people don't have that. After seeing her go through everything I can understand someone needing a little bit of help. As long as it IS a little bit and only until they are back on their feet. I know there are people who take advantage, but there are also some people who just need that little bit.
When I said we never took welfare I wasn't *quite* honest. We took it for one day! Our two oldest kids were in grade school. My oldest son was very smart. He had an exceptionally high IQ, and because of that he really perceived things and internalized them where other kids would just blow them off an inconsequential. Well, our low income quallified out kids for free school lunches. Back in those days, those "free lunch" kids got a different colored lunch ticket than other kids did. Everyone knew they were "free lunchers." My husband and I decided that it would be a "good thing" for the kids to get a free school lunch as it would free up more of our scanty income for other dire necessities.

So, the very first day they go on the program, my son (I think he was in 4th grade), got his lunch tray and the Principal walked by his table, stopped at my son's side and said, "Why aren't you eating those peas?"

My son said, "Because I don't like peas."

The Principal said, "Beggars can't be choosers."

Of course my son was absolutely mortified and humiliated, and when he came home and told us this story I packed his and his brother's lunches the next day and we never took another free school lunch or anything else. I also called the administration at the school, and believe me, the Principal was disciplined for that statement, and starting the very next week (as told to me by a teacher friend in the school district), all free lunch tickets became the exact same color as the paid for tickets in the entire district, and all the accounting was handled in the office and a rule was passed that NO teacher or other administrator or aide were allowed to know which kids received school lunches. So at least something good came out of that.

As you could tell, working out my college finances frustrates me to no end. Thank goodness there are advisors at the school to help me figure it all out. I am actually proud of myself for keeping my debt fairly low (I am not very good at financial planning). Grad school debt is what will pile up, but I don't mind if it gets me where I want to go. Anyway, it sounds as though you are a great mother. I hope your children are proud and appreciate you.
I hope that perhaps you can find a job in a vet clinic and still go to grad school at the same time, and the job will help finance school. On the other hand, I know that grad school will be difficult and perhaps a job will be out of the question. I sincerely hope you reach your goals. Just don't ever give up because things may seem bleak at times. Always remember that each hurdle jumped is one step closer to your goal. And I know you will achieve it!

But people need to wake up and pay attention. There is no excuse for tax paying adults to live like ostriches with their heads in the sand with no opinion or passion about what they believe in as Americans!
That was a very good post, vickie! (geeze... you must have a kind of depressing job, though).

But it really is so very sad that too many people who vote, SHOULDN'T! I've always wondered why it was easier to vote than to get a fishing license. And I just get so angry when over and over again I'll run into someone in town who absolutely hates our governor and rants on and on about him and I'll say, "I take it you didn't vote for him then?" And they'll respond, "Heck no... I don't vote. Why waste my time? Nothing ever changes."

Then there's my neighbor from a mile down the road, who is a carpenter. We always hire him when we need something done, and we'll start talking about politics and he'll be so angry about something, but because he's a Jehovah's Witness he never votes, so I always tell him, "Mike... if you're not going to vote, then you don't get to complain!"

I, too, think it's wonderful when people disagree, because at least it shows they have a brain in their heads and care passionately about their country and the direction it's heading. We might not all think the same way about that direction but at least we are passionate about it!

Ahhh thank you Weebiscuit
default_smile.png
My goal is not to be wealthy, but to have a job that I can be excited to go to every day and not have to live paycheck to paycheck (fun fact: the average vet makes about $40,000 as a starting salary coming out of school with an average of $100,000 in debt). I will get there and i'm not worried, and despite being frustrated sometimes, I do just fine working and going to school. It gets a bit stressful, but I know it won't always be this way and i'm willing to sacrifice a few years of stress to reach my goals. For grad school I am not sure if i'll time to work, but they are much more generous with financial aid so hopefully I can get a little weekend job and that will suffice. We'll see-i try not to worry about things that far ahead. I know i'll get by though
default_smile.png

As for the free lunch-how awful of that principle! I remember being horrified going to school in huge hand-me down clothes, and now it seems so silly. I actually LOVE hand me down clothes-there's nothing like a best friend with awesome fashion sense and a clothes shopping addiction
default_smile.png

Amanda, believe it or not, but I buy at least 70% of my clothes at Good Will! We are in a very rural area. Just a WalMart and a JC Penneys which I think is about the same size as my house, LOL. It's just tiny. But we have a huge, new Good Will store and I love shopping there! Instead of racks of the same thing, there are racks of everything different! I'm just not a clothes horse, anyway, so it works for me.

And my mini van is 13 years old. Yes, I can afford a new car, but does that mean I should get one? My van doesn't give me any problems at all, and there's no rust on it, so why should I trade it in? And my husband's truck is ten years old. Still in great shape, still no rust.

We each have our own Honda scooters.. we bought them new and they are ten years old now. Why bother getting new ones when they run perfectly?

I'm just a very economical person and I don't like flashy, ostentatious things. I still wear the same plain gold wedding band I got 40 years ago and no other jewelry but an occasional small pair of gold earrings if I am forced to get fancy.

I am feeling very badly now, as Jill's excellent thread has been hijacked. My apologies, Jill. No more "off subjects" posts on this thread from me!

Latest posts

Back