THE SNOWSTORM...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
170" At the top of the mountain today. It's been going pretty much constantly for almost a week now. Heehee, it got so bad they closed two highways and the whole mountain. You'd think a ski resort would be more appreciative. :bgrin

I'd rather get the foot of snow than the freezing rain and sleet they are predicting here. Last weekend we had "thundersnow" - thunder and lightening and sleet. It was awful. 13 high line poles went down around us and we lost power for a couple hours. We were lucky, just 15 miles west of us they were without power for 2 days. One lady I know had to rent a generator just to water their 22 horses. Now here they are predicting the same stuff for us and warning us AGAIN of the potential for widespread power outages. Shannon has gas for the generator and 4 wheeler, and he brought home a big load of wood for the wood stove, but it is still an eerie feeling to be without power. Fingers crossed everyone!

Susan, you need to come on up to Wisconsin, for a few weeks in the middle of winter :bgrin that would toughen your blood up :bgrin :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin :bgrin your WELCOME anytime...I'll make sure I have a extra shovel here for you
default_yes.gif
: I was born in Oklahoma, (back in the ice ages :lol: )dont remember then ever having much snow. I'll try to get some pictures today of our LOVELY snow..just so you dont feel like your missing out completely
default_wink.png
: All our snowmobiling trails have been closed all season, due to no snow, but the sad part is now that there open they officially close March 5th. We're being invaded with snowmobilers this week. lovinarabs, where are you located? Corinne

Well this snow is sure causing me some issues. I am supposed to be spending this week studying for a test. Hard to do when there is so much that has to be done out side.

Just came in from feeding, about to head off to the vets for Mitzy. Then I need to swing by home, get bills, swap car for truck(little car dont make it through unplowed back roads). Then come back to my aunts, clean pens, bed down camels, zebras, llama and lock them up for the night. Then I probably need to haul the 3 calves to the big barn so they dont get snowed in there shelter again. Make sure everybody has plenty of food and water and then wait for it to arrive.
default_unsure.png
:

The news this morning said it would be blizzard like conditions with the high wind. Which means I wont see a dang thing tommorow when I am trying to feed.

Oh well, glad a love winter, and I am glad while i am farm setting in this crap my aunt and uncle are down in 80 degree weather. :eek:

Corinne I will make you a deal... you come down here in July or August for a few weeks and the next winter I will come to your place :bgrin

sorry i can't do it this year, all my vacation time is slated for the trip to Maui in June (my mom is taking my girls for their graduation present (one this year, one gets hers early) but she won't take them unless i go to, she "doesn't want to be responsible"

everyone thinks i am foolish to even think of turning it down, but i really don't want to go - i do NOT want to leave my husband OR my equines for two whole weeks! - but i don't want the girls to miss out so i will go.

and yes i put them in the right order, hubby comes first (although the equines are not far behind LOL)

Last edited by a moderator:
lovinarabs, where are you located? Corinne
Southeastern MN. Here's what the national weather service says is coming our way.

...STRONG WINTER STORM TO CROSS THE AREA OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS...

.A POTENT WINTER STORM WILL ONCE AGAIN IMPACT THE REGION OVER THE

NEXT FEW DAYS. THE FIRST PART OF THE STORM WAS RESULTING IN A BAND

OF MIXED PRECIPITATION ALL THE WAY FROM EASTERN SOUTH DAKOTA...

OVER TO NORTHERN ILLINOIS. A MIXTURE OF FREEZING RAIN...SLEET...OR

SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE FROM THIS DURING THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING

HOURS. BUT THE STRONGER PART OF THE STORM WAS STILL GATHERING

STRENGTH OVER WESTERN KANSAS...AND THIS PART WILL MOVE NORTHEAST

INTO IOWA BY THURSDAY MORNING. THIS WILL RESULT IN STRONGER WINDS

AND HEAVIER PRECIPITATION. THE STORM LOOKS LIKE IT WILL SLOW DOWN

AS IT MOVES NORTHEAST ACROSS IOWA ON THURSDAY...AND INTO WISCONSIN

THURSDAY NIGHT. WITH THIS TRACK...THE PRECIPITATION TYPE WILL BE A

CONCERN...WITH WARMER AIR BEING DRAWN INTO THE SYSTEM FROM THE

SOUTH. THE COLDER AIR WILL COVER MINNESOTA AND NORTHERN

WISCONSIN...WHILE THE WARMER AIR WILL MOVE FROM SOUTHERN IOWA

INTO SOUTHERN WISCONSIN. SO...IT APPEARS MAINLY SNOW WILL OCCUR

ALONG AND NORTH OF A LINE FROM AUSTIN MINNESOTA TO BLACK RIVER

FALLS WISCONSIN...WHERE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 14 INCHES

REMAIN POSSIBLE BY FRIDAY. SOUTH OF A LINE FROM SUMNER AND WEST

UNION IOWA...OVER TO BOSCOBEL WISCONSIN...THE WARMER AIR LOOKS TO

RESULT IN LESS OF A THREAT OF ICE AND SNOW. IN BETWEEN...A MIXTURE

OF ICE AND SNOW APPEARS A GOOD BET. WITH ICE ACCUMULATION OF A

QUARTER INCH OR MORE...AND SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES.

TO ADD TO THE THREAT... NORTHWEST WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH...WITH

HIGHER GUSTS...WILL COME IN BEHIND THE STORM ON

THURSDAY...RESULTING IN SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND DRIFTING.

Oh - goodie.
default_unsure.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

OHHH great! :eek: I just heard we're suppose to get another 18"s of snow by the time this storm is done with. YIPEEEEEE :no: :no: :no: its coming down pretty good out there right now. JOY :no: :no: :no: , can you tell I am really excited about this :no: :no: :no: Susan ...hmmm, Arizonia is looking better and better..OMG, did I say that??
default_yes.gif
: :eek: I still say, your missing out of alot of fun, skiing, snowmobiling, hitching the horses for a good sleigh ride
default_yes.gif
: if you can see where the heck your going with it blowing! Corinne

We havent had much snow yet but it soooooo windy out there the snow that we did have has drifted over the driveway again already.

I am sure the few animals that are locked in as well as the 3 calves I brought up to the barn are rather happy about being there. I am also pretty sure the reindeer are LOVEING this!

Last weekend we got only about 3" of snow (and that was enough!) but yesterday the system that moved in from Montana (thanks Montana!) dumped 7" on us--it started about 2 pm yesterday & was still snowing last night at midnight. This morning it's quit for now, but is supposed to start in again & give us another 2 to 4 inches.

I took a day of vacation yesterday to use up my last day before the end of March. When I booked the day off I didn't know this storm was coming, but I did figure that as soon as I used up my time we'd get a storm and I'd wish I still had that day to use. Sure enough. I'm staying home today too--borrowing a day from my new years vacation time
default_wacko.png
: --there's just too much shovelling to do out there and I didn't feel like getting up at 4:30 to do it so I could be at work on time. Travel isn't recommended on any of the roads around here & the city streets are probably a mess.

Very sick of winter here!

Last weekend we got 24" of snow with very high drifts (south-central wisconsin) but this morning it was rain then sleet. next is suppossed to be the snow. ya gotta love winter in wiscosnsin :bgrin ! jennifer

This morning it said 22" expected when done. I am already wading through waist deep drifts and this isnt fun. I am out of barn room of locked in animals. I am about to head out and search for the donkey that took back off on me.

The worst hasnt even hit yet.

I just saw on the news that Iowa has been declared a disaster area and all roads are currently closed.

Russ and the rest of the Iowa forum members need to check in and let us know how you are doing.

Most of the interstate highways here in MN are currently closed due to blizzard conditions, We are being hit with our second MAJOR storm in a week and it isn't expected to taper off until Sat.

School closed early today and they have cancelled tomorrow already - and our school NEVER closes....we are in the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area and they do a good job of keeping up with the snow normally.

Here at home the fun is nonstop....

We snow blowed the path to the barn to do chores and by the time we were done the path was completely drifted over again and we had to snowblow it again to get back to the house.

The drifts between the barn and the pasture was so high I had a traffic jam because the minis couldn't get through to get in the barn and since it was dinner time they were all freaking out and trying to swim through the snow. I had to clear a tunnel for them all to file through. I'm thinking they had better just stay in the barn tomorrow or we might lose one or two until springtime.

We've cleared the driveway 3 times today just trying to stay on it so that it doesn't get so deep that it is impossible to clear.

I've used our snow blower on our 2nd floor deck twice today because we were afraid it might collapse.

The 17 year old decided it would be fun to jump OFF the 2nd floor deck in to all the snow piled below.

(I told him if he broke his leg - don't come crying to me, I wouldn't be able to get out to take him to the hospital and an ambulance probably couldn't get here.) He also came out to do chores in the barn in basketball shorts and a t-shirt and tennis shoes with no socks. (edited to add "foster son" I'm not taking any genetic credit for his poor choices).

The 14 year old foster daughter is in a panic because she is out of her favorite shampoo and conditioner and needs chapstick and I won't take her to the store. I got a look only a teen-ager would give when I said I'm not risking my life for your non-essential beauty needs.

The 11 year old is upset because she doesn't have any new good books to read during the storm so wanted to go to the library or the bookstore. She is also the drama queen of the family so the whole winter storm thing is a HUGE event and she has been on the phone and online with friends since coming home from school gossiping about it and everything else 11 year olds gossip about.

I lost my nine year old briefly in the front yard because he decided to walk across a giant drift and sank down over his head. He also decided he wants a snowboard but since he doesn't have one he decided to go down our biggest hill STANDING on a plastic sled. He did that over and over. I gave up yelling at him about it.

The five year old wanted to make a snow angel and laid down and disappeared and had to be dug out.

He couldn't find one boot so he went outside with one boot on and just a sock on the other foot.

The one year old thankfully is just taking it all in. He is at that stage though were he only wants Mommy, so everything I do is with one hand and a baby on the hip. (Even going online)

All the kids thought it would be fun to go in the hot tub in the blizzard until we found out the snow had drifted higher than the hot tub and by the time we finished digging a path and cleaning snow off the cover and checking chemicals and adding more water and trying to find swimsuits no one wanted to do it anymore.

I pretty much am trapped at home with six kids until this storm is over. As soon as they heard school was cancelled they ALL asked if they could have a friend over tomorrow. (yeah right, so then I'd be trapped here with twice as many kids and the other parents get a vacation day) The one with the best chance of having a friend over is the nine year old who's friends parents own a landscaping and PLOWING service. Their kid came over today after school and the mom drove him over in their plowing vehicle and dropped him off and then plowed our drive.

ALSO...edited to add...how could I forget the two Boxers that keep pooping and peeing on the front sidewalk (right where the kids walk in and out) because the snow is too deep and too cold on their butts.

note to self: snowblow them a potty patch.

We WILL have to make a run for groceries at some point because there is no way what food I have will last with everyone home.

HELP ME!!!!

:ugh: :new_2gunsfiring_v1: :new_all_coholic:
default_pray.gif
:
default_giveup.gif
:

Still snowing here to, but not coming down as bad as it was late last night. We lost our power around 10pm, and just got it restored about 15 minutes ago. Good thing, or I would be having LilBeginnings withdrawal :bgrin . Its SUPPOSE to end sometime tonight. Our drifts are waist high and higher. It was blowing so bad you couldnt even see our barn last night, which is only about 75' from my patio door. My horses were all in there run-in, (which is a addition off our back side of the barn) and I left just the small door area open for them, everyone stayed in until about 45 minutes ago..then I seen them come out one by one and now they are all "playing" in the new snow! Crazy little minis, but they sure are loving it. Havent ventured out to the barn yet..need to have Bob make me trail. Corinne

We are getting the first of those two storms today government offices are closed and the prediction is for 16 inches here not nearly as bad as some of you have had it but it still sucks. Yesterday we finally got a day over 32 degrees and it was gorgeous sunshine so visions of Spring danced in my head today we are back in the throes of winter. Oh well should have known better Spring here just doesnt happen until late April.

I just love you descriptions of what the kids are doing in the snow Sanny! My kids are so tame compared to yours. LOL The girls haven't been out of the house since they got home from school at 1:30 yesterday. Wyatt has been helping do chores and shovel but he's ready to go right back in the house as soon as he's done.

Abby checked out several books from the Library on Wed. and should make it through the weekend. :aktion033:

As long as Kyla has access to paper and something to draw with she can entertain herself for hours.
default_yes.gif
:

We'll be good on food but may run out of milk. I doubt township gravel roads will be passable before this evening and then only in 4 wheel drive. 14 inches of new snow as of 7 am and more has been coming down all morning. :new_shocked:

Still snowing here. But thankfully very little to no wind. Thats is something that is very rare for this place.

Dont know how much snow is out there and dont want to know. Know we had about 3-4" between midnight last night to 8am this morning.

They say shoveling this stuff can give you heart attack, ha walking in it all bundled up to feed is enough to give you a heart attack. I was seriously considering turning the dog into a sled dog. :new_shocked:

"Here at home the fun is nonstop...."

oh Mary what a picture! every paragraph had me laughing harder...

and Corinne ("Mom" LOL) I will convince you yet if your weather doesn't behave
default_yes.gif
: - actually although you really might NOT like it where I am, in northern Arizona there are pine forests and yes, it even snows - A LOT! but not as bad as where you are... the more i read from all the folks dealing with snow and ice, and see the pictures, the more i believe that the summer heat here is a VERY SMALL price to pay for our mild winters...

sorry i really don't mean to
default_poke.gif
: at you all... you can
default_poke.gif
: back this summer i promise!!
default_wink.png
:

They say shoveling this stuff can give you heart attack, ha walking in it all bundled up to feed is enough to give you a heart attack. I was seriously considering turning the dog into a sled dog. :new_shocked:
:new_rofl: The dog might not appreciate that but it might be fun! :new_rofl:

You know there is a lot of snow when you walk up to the stock tank and realize that they are barely sticking out of the snow drift and that the ponies are going to have to reach down in to get a drink! :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

Thats how everything is here, the waterers, feed bunks all that are even with the snow. I was following hte dog to the barn today...........didnt have a very good path and when the dog was steping and disapering that wasnt a good sign for me. :new_shocked:

Hi, Sanny I am around. :saludando:

Last Saturday(Feb. 24) at 5 a.m. we all lost power in the start of the snow storm/ice storm. Power poles snapped like twigs and power wires just broke all over. It is aweful everywhere in my area. You can't believe the mess. Tree branches, ice, snow just a trecherous mess to be out in. I had to chip off 1'' of ice coating off the barn door just to get in to the mares last Saturday.

Luckily, I melted snow everyday on the gas stove to water the girls. We couldn't get anywhere for the first 2 days because the lines were broken on the roads...very dangerous. So just bundled up and lit candles for light and tried to keep busy. Had the gas stove top to cook and wet wipes from show season are a valuable thing.
default_wink.png
: Boiled snow water for hand washing. Had plenty of drinking bottled water and food.

By late Tuesday evening they got the power back up. A hot shower was so nice!

Crews came from MN and South Dakota to help our power company. You can't imagine how much hard work these guys had to face....putting new poles in mile after mile. How great it was to see them drive down our road...like the calvery coming! :aktion033:

Generators were non existant when ya needed one and dairy farmers needed them to milk cows. Our state has been declared a disaster and there are still thousands without power. But shelters were opened to anyone for warmth and food and a place to sleep. National guard troops were going around to some without power trying to get them out and to safety. It is hard to go if you have livestock/animals to care for....what do you do? Luckily I didn't have to make that choice. We were able to get to a town with power on Monday and Tuesday and just kinda warm up in stores. Life goes on and I had taxes to file and packages to mail. It helped to keep busy. People flocked to the few towns that had power....supplies rolled in to help but people were so frustrated. A gal just balled to get kerosene for their heaters. It humbles ya to go through that....she was very scared because they really didn't know when power would come back. Unfortanely, with this blizzard not much power progress was made yesterday or today in some areas. Like I said their is plenty of shelters/help and supplies...it is just hard to get some to take it and then the storms to reach everyone.

Wed went to town to get more supplies/groceries in preparation for round 2 storm. Which hit us Thursday...last night our power went out again at 10 p.m. I had drawn about 30 gallons of water in tubs in our basement...just in case. So felt better this time. By late this morning they got power back on. Thank goodness as the north winds really cooled the house down with no heat.

I will tell ya I learned alot without electricity...like how much I take water for granted. Do you know how much a 5 gallon bucket of snow yields for water when melted? About 3'' worth. It takes alot of snow to get a bucket of water. I am NOT cut out to live Amish lifestyle.
default_wink.png
: I missed the forum so much. A battery powered radio is still your best friend in a power outage....gosh music is neat when their is nothing else to do. I feel so hip now....... :bgrin Was able to charge the cell phone once a day in the truck and call some friends to keep contact. It helps to talk to people or ya go stir crazy after awhile.

I worried so much about a horse getting dehydrated and getting sick but I kept water to them and do beet pulp every evening at feeding. I knew it would be hard to get a vet out in the power outages. They are so busy with calls all over. Cows calving, you name it...it all happens everyday...weather just slows their ability to get to people to help.

The ,mares both never knew the storm hit us and were snug as bugs in a rug in the barn.

Lots of snow here since yesterday...we already had alot and last weeks storm brought us 10'' and think at least that much overnight.

I don't know if you've seen some of the news from Iowa's power outages/storms......google Mason City, IA Globe Gazette or Mitchell County Press News in Osage,IA

or the Des Moines Register. It is quite a site and unlike anything I've ever experienced.

If you have a spare moment at the end of your day....say a prayer for those who don't have power back on.

Latest posts

Back