The Show Ring

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatbroke Farms

Reaction score
How does one get started with showing? While I have been showing most of my life, I have never showed at halter or on a lead except in small charity shows, etc. It has never been something I was interested in with the big horses. But now I am very interested in showing my filly and the filly that I wish to add must be show quality as well because I'll want to show her also. But I have absolute NO idea how to get started.

I will be attending the show this month in Ocala to observe and try to get a handle on the classes. But outside of that I'm also going to have to learn, well... pretty much everything!

Ack. Help.

You've already got a good plan to start! Going to watch show is a great idea and you may meet some people who can give you some guidance through visiting that show to observe (and maybe offer to help hold horses between classes if you can). My hunch is after you have been to the show, you may have some specific questions
default_yes.gif

Best advice is to go watch and observe.......better yet ask a farm you admire and like the way they do things and present their horses if they need help. Volenteer and ask if they would like help and that way you get not only to see, but do......you get to see what goes into getting a horse presented before stepping out of the grooming stall to the show ring.

Then really observe classes that are showing.

Have people take pictures and or video of you when you start showing, that way you can actually see what the judges are seeing and see what needs to be worked on and what you and your horse are doing right.

Hi There

Well i have only been showing for 3 ..4 years but how i got started was i spent some time with Kay (kaykay on the forum) and she taught me the basics and even helped me clip my first gelding the day before a show, bless her heart
default_smile.png
. But she got me off to a good start, still offers tons of advice when needed and always had her rule book handy
default_smile.png
. I also spent allot of time talking to a few other breeders / trainers around the area and through email. You will find most of the people in the miniature industry are the greatest people on the planet
default_laugh.png

The fastest way to learn is go to a show and watch and talk to the people at the show back in the barns ext. Most people are more then happy to show you their horses and answer questions.

I have some informational pages on my website; if you have specific questions just shoot me an e-mail and I would be happy to help.

This Forum is a great source of information... you can "search forum" for old topics and I will be you ANYTHING that EVERYTHING has been asked at least once already!

Andrea

You could also check to see if any clubs in your area are hosting clinics because that would offer you a chance to get hands-on learning.

Otherwise go to a show and ask questions.

Hi I don't show but my child loves it. She has done Fun Shows mostly and last year did show in Williamston, NC had a friend that shows and just hang out with her from grooming to driving and just standing at ring gate waiting for next class. We have gone to alot of clinics and learned the right way of doing things. I've learned the more you go the more you learn and we both learn something new each time we go out the mostly just remember to have fun ribbons or not. Good Luck

Like you, I had ridden and shown most of my life but had NEVER led a halter horse.
default_smile.png
Lots to learn but then you are ahead of the game since you already know horses and how to handle them. You've been given the best advice - go to shows and watch, ask questions, see who is winning and pay attention to what they do, how their horses look. It's a never ending learning process, and lots of fun along the way.

Jan

[SIZE=12pt]Tara-[/SIZE]

I'll be in Ocala - would love to meet you. I'll be with Four Pines. I'll be showing a yearling perlino filly and possibly a 2 year old stallion.

I agree the best way to start to learn is go to a show. There are lots of nice people there who will answer questions.

Hope to meet you there.

Barbie

PS: Where do you live?

[SIZE=12pt]Tara-[/SIZE]

I'll be in Ocala - would love to meet you. I'll be with Four Pines. I'll be showing a yearling perlino filly and possibly a 2 year old stallion.

I agree the best way to start to learn is go to a show. There are lots of nice people there who will answer questions.

Hope to meet you there.

Barbie

PS: Where do you live?

Barbie,

I look forward to the opportunity of meeting you in Ocala. We will likely arrive late Saturday morning/early afternoon since it is a bit of a drive and we are just going to go down for the day. Unless I can convince DH otherwise! I hope that afternoon will be enough for me to at least get a feel of everything, though.

I live just outside of Thomasville, Georgia. Not far from the GA/FL line.

Hope to see you in Ocala!

[SIZE=12pt]Tara-[/SIZE]

The AMHA show starts at 2:00. Looking forward to meeting you.

Barbie

Latest posts

Back