The Ring Test

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankee_minis

Reaction score
In the north, there's not much we can do at this time of year.

shoveling

chipping ice out of water buckets

chunking away at frozen poo

watching our buffalos stand in the snow

So each year we breed a few mares and hope that in the spring we'll have warmth and sunshine and a healthy foal.

So to figure out whether we have a bred mare or just an open fatso... we do the ring test.

It's not scientific.

I'm not a veterinarian nor do I pretend to be.

I am not a witch, although I may look that way during marestare
default_wacko.png

This is for fun only.

Take a ring, like a wedding ring, with no stones.

Tie it on a string, like the string from the top of the grain bag. Not baling twine because it is too thick and the ring can't swing easily.

Hold it over the hips of the mare, close to her body. Line it up sort of with her udder.

It helps to have someone hold the mare because you can get dizzy staring at the ring while the horse is moving LOL

Stop the ring from moving.

Stand very still.

If the ring starts moving, the mare is bred.

If it goes in a circle it is a filly.

If it goes in a line, back and forth, it is a colt.

If it doesn't move, the mare is open.

I've been 100% correct on the question of open/bred, but my percentages for sex aren't much higher than coincidence.

Do it and report here what you're getting!

We do the nail test (same concept) on our gals for fun and so far it's only been wrong once and that was last year, said one mare was supposed to have a colt but she gave us a gorgeous filly! I even did it on the gal who aborted her foal that year and it didn't move at all..

According to the nail test this year we're supposed to have 3 fillies and 2 colts!
default_wub.png

I do the ring test also , and last year it said 2 fillies one colt and that is exactly what we got...I have done it this year and it says 3 fillies one colt...So hopefully will be correct we are expecting 2 foals from my magic that is lwo and homozygous for black these will be his first...And two foals from our silverbay belly splash stallion ...Oh the things cold weather makes us do ....lol

I have a friend that does the ring test with all her mares and it has been 100 right on the pregnant/non pregnant part, even with the mare that had a false pregnancy. She did not have as much success on the male/female thing, that part didn't seem to work.

I have tried it this year and got a prediction of one colt, two fillies. I won't know it was right for a few months, but here's hoping.

YUP, YUP, that's what some of us "hoofties" do here in the northeast to pass the time. This bleak time of year, anything goes, especially if it will give us the warm fuzzies thinking spring is around the corner.

The first time I did this, I had just watched the movie "Signs" with Mel Gibson. I headed out to the barn for the evening feedings. I decided to try it, so I pulled out one of the tail hairs from one of the girls, pried my wedding band off and held it over their backs while they were eating. Well I was officially freaked out!!!!!

It went from a complete standstill to rapidly moving in about 15 seconds. Not little movements either, Big, 10 inches or more. Just to verify my findings and to make sure I wasn't moving it myself, I had a very non-horsey person do the same thing. I didn't tell them what they were doing, but just to humor me. The same thing happened. It held true that year.

Wishfull thinking for this year, came up with 3 fillies and 1 colt. The two mares I am keeping both came up with fillies.

NEVER DO THIS ALONE, AT NIGHT AND AFTER A SCARY MOVIE!!!!!
default_biggrin.png

default_smile.png
yep we do the ring test also...last year said a filly & colt thats what we

got. And this year it said 2 fillies and a colt, my one mare aborted a filly

In Nov. and it was a filly and the test was right with her. So i`m waiting

for a filly and a colt now...
default_biggrin.png

Good Luck this foaling season!!

Tina

Oh yeah we do the ring test too of course any excuse to believe that spring actually is a season we will live to see, lol we should have two fillies and a colt if it is right for 08 it has been right on all but one foal born here.

YEP! I do the ring test every year!
default_yes.gif
Only I use a string and a meduim size washer tied to the string.
default_biggrin.png
OH , and also do the ring test by kneeling beside the mare and holding it on the side of the mares stomach. If it swings from front to back of the mare (means open) if it swings from the mare to you (means in foal) It works great and has been 100% accurate for me.

I have done it the way that the poster does it many times too and got the same result however a few of my mares are leary of holding something over them like that.

The sex of the foal has not been right for me so far . I seem to get colts here...
default_biggrin.png
but at least they are alive and healthy and thats all that counts!
default_biggrin.png

I hear you about the frozen stuff too! With the exception of not having frozen water buckets since we have heated buckets and pails the "poopsicles" and frozen pee is all that gets cleaned up in the stalls now and what a pain that is...UGH!
default_wacko.png

So, we are really looking forward to spring here in the "FROZEN TUNDRA"!
default_biggrin.png

Jeri

Yup, I do the string test, like Jeri- with a washer instead. So far it's been pretty correct- (this last summer-fall, I had a mare test in foal, only a few days later she was in heat. So, not sure if that affects it too or not). It's been pretty correct on sexes, though I've found that it can change. I had one mare test filly, then about 2 months later, she tested colt, then just prior to foaling by about 1 week, she tested filly & had a filly.

Most the time, I don't pay attention to the sex as it's been so iffy. But it's just fun to do it & see if your fatty is really preggers.

I just did it tonight to a mare that I got from my Mom- she bought her little over 1 year ago & was exposed to a stud- fat as can be & really looked pregnant! Didn't have a foal though, so Mom bred her in '07. Well, I just picked her up lastnight & did the string test tonight & it said she's preggers! I REALLY HOPE its right on this one! I own her daughter also & am hoping for another one like her or a double dilute
default_smile.png
BUT as long as it's alive & healthy is all I really care about:)

[SIZE=12pt]OK....stupid question
default_biggrin.png
[/SIZE]

Can you do this without taking their blankets off :DOH!
default_biggrin.png

Joy

We have done the test for a few years,and it is accurate on if the mare is bred but not so much with the filly or colt prediction.

It also works on women I tried it for fun to my sister over christmas and it was correct on both being pregnant and having a boy.

we have been doing the nail test every year.We did it on our big horses in the past.We do the test on our minis now. The pregnant part has been right, but the sex is not always right.My girls like to do the test for fun. The test past the time by
default_wacko.png

YEP! I am a ring test believer! I did it several times throughout my mares pregnancy last time and it was SO definate and spooky each time.

Started off completely still and then BIG wide swinging circles. It was correct, she had a filly.

Have tried it again this year and its another filly! And the other mare is having a colt which is just about al shes ever had..so yes i think its amazing.

I cant explain it works.

I did the test with a hair from the tail of the mare you are testing and my pops wedding band which is about 90 years old. Just felt like it was special...lol yes Im a geek.

When I was a kid the old folks did that with women to see if they were pregnant. Then later to see what sex it was. I always thought it was hocus pocus.
default_biggrin.png
Not saying it is with horses though .. I'm not a breeder and don't know.

I'm going to try this today! I have 2 that are either bred or need a major diet & exercise plan and 2 that I'm just not sure about!

Do the mares need to be past a certain point in their pregnancy or does it matter?

Latest posts

Back