the phrase "what a stud"....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horse_apples

Reaction score
The phrase "what a stud" makes sooooo much sense to me, now that I've owned my little 27" stud, JD, for over two years now. He is by far the most obedient and sweetest of my herd (aside from my 22 year old mare) but when it comes to the ladies - he was breaking out of my pastures and heading across the road to my mom's pasture every other day because 4 fancy mares of his size was not good enough for him. He decided (as did my mother and I) that he would rather live over there with her shetland and haflinger mares. AND yes, even though he can walk under both of them, he INSISTS on trying to breed them. Mom says she caught the shetland laying down for him but it still wasn't *ahem* working out. I'll spare everyone the gory details.

Has anyone else had a stud who thinks he is the biggest romeo, casanova, "god's gift to mares"? LOL I just love him to bits.

Also, being in the pasture across the road helps alert me to when my mare Sassafrass is coming into heat because she yells and yells and paces the fence line trying to get to him. It's hilarious!

Here he is. What would you call his coat? I've heard different opinions and still don't quite understand the difference between splash, tobiano, overo, etc.

My 37 inch stallion bred a 14.2 hand AQHA mare once, by themselves. She delivered an asolutly beautiful colt that matured into a beautiful miniature QH! The same stallion bred a 48 inch donkey that year and she gave us a really cute hinney!

Oh my..... these little stud boys make me shake my head ..... And if men behaved like that!! LOL
default_smile.png

Rae Al believe's that every one: mare, stallion, and gelding is madly in love with him but that he is truly a gift from the gods to all the ladies. He especially likes the full sized mares. When we pass by the arabian farms I don't know if I've ever heard a full size horse call as loud as he does. And sure enough, all the mares come running. He's earned the nick name "David Hasselhoss." Kinson, on the other hand, doesn't even realize he's a stallion 99% of the time.

My guy slipped under a fence and tried with a draft made once. Scariest 15 minutes of my life!!! He loves the REALLY big girls. He won't even think about it if he showing or on a lead, and qh sized mares he won't bat an eye at. But in the pasture, which is adjacent to one with a draft made, he tries harder to woo her than the mini he has. I think its the thrill of the chase he likes!

OMG, this is too funny!!!

We ran our 45" (11.1 hh) stallion with larger pony and horse mares, however, at breeding time he was washed & so were they. Their tails were wrapped and then he went up on his ramp to cover them. We had quite a number of very nice Shetland cross ponies - arab, qh and hunter types. Even three or four great little gaited ones. A lot of them are still ridden by adult riders (albeit smaller ones). We have one cross bred gelded son of his ready to start under saddle now, and a Shetland son that was born (his last) in April 2013. AJ's first 2 foals were born in 1995.

We do know that a couple of times he introduced himself to a mare w/o us or our help. But they would have both had to work at it... Those were nice foals too!

As to markings - your guy looks like he's a tobiano pinto. But it's hard to tell since you only had the one (2nd one in your album - but blurry) picture. Do you have any other pics? From the front w/ forelock pulled aside, of his other side and one from behind that shows his hip markings from the rear/top. I can't even tell what color he was in your pics, LOL!

I hate to sound like a Gloomy Gus but your horse is in a very dangerous situation. Fencing should be securred and safe where a horse cannot escape and go across the road. Being in with big horses is extremely dangerous and even moreso when he is attempting to breed full size horses. I suggest you geld him as soon as possible, like yesterday, and provide a safe proper place for him. He's very cute and I wouldn't want him to get hurt. Best wishes.

I understand your um...situation 100%. I keep 4 stallions on my farm and for safety reasons I saved my money and purchased steel pipe rail corral panels and constructed a round pen for each stud. I have a much larger paddock with four foot high stock wire fence that each stud gets to take turns turning out in, but never together as they fight with one another. My 32" silver dapple stallion is the sweetest pony ever when handled. He is great with kids, rides (holds like 30# max) and drives. However he IS a stallion and with a mare in the vicinity, he is a stallion and can be dangerous. He once muscled his way out of the wood rail paddock and squeezed under and attempted to breed my father in laws Belgian in the pasture all of the way up the street. Sure, he could have gone for the Haflinger pony but he aims high...literally. Needless to say the Belgian was on her back with her hooves in the air...my little stud was on her like a hobo on a ham sandwich.....yea it was hilariously ridiculous. Had to spray them with the hose to separate them. Thank goodness no foal resulted. From that point on, I began keeping my stallions in pipe rail. I later found out that where I live, it is a state law to contain studs, bulls and rams in pipe rail or panel fence. No electric is allowed, as it is temporary and not deemed permanent or safe. I know that situations like this are laughable, as long as no one gets injured. I used to run this stallion in the pasture with a few of my vest mares and pasture breed. They always seemed to be caught in the act by a passer by or by a school bus full of kindergarteners, so I resorted to hand breeding in the back of the arena behind the barn out of sight. Nature tells the stallion to do what is intended and that is hard wired into their brains. Doesn't make them bad horses, just makes them a pain in the glass to deal with during bedding season. Sure you can train a stud to have manners (not squeal, kick, bite and strike out) but some of the behavior is just nature doing it's thing. Thanks for sharing your story and shedding light onto this subject. As for your horse's coat: the differences between the patterns are both a combination of genotype and phenotype. You can have your horse color tested to get an clear understanding of what he actually is. The Pinto website has a good color chart that describes the patterns. Some times to me overo and tobiano are hard to tell apart if the horse is dark with minimal white, but may not have the frame pattern. I always check the box allowing the registrar to select the right one if they do not agree with what I think the horse may be. I would guess that your horse is tobiano.

King Joe (avatar pic) Prairie Views Little Joe Friday thinks he is the mightiest man alive. He doesn't let his 29" stature get in the way of that. In fact, sometimes the smaller the stallion the more serious the little man syndrome! I retired Tori after 4 foals and he still needs to breed a mare. He is going to go get fattened up at grandma's before winter. It will give him a break from worrying about the mares! Lex, on the other hand is completely docile unless a mare comes close, then he explodes with masculinity and wild screaming. Makes me jump every time. He puts on the Ritz only with the proximity of mares. Then there is Romeo who has never bred a mare and may never breed a mare, he is a lover and lets out a Barry White stream of pleasing manly tones and vibes to let the princesses know he is there and ready for love. I love these minis they are a source of constant entertainment!

I love these minis they are a source of constant entertainment!
Could not agree more!!!!
default_smile.png
I've only had Minis (my first horses ever) for 4 years and now - My life will never be the same.

my friends miniature stallion escaped his paddock and got in with her riding horse mare , she laid down for him to cover her and she accidently laid on him , busted his hock and left him permanently crippled , hes since been gelded

Last edited by a moderator:
It's stories like these on this thread that make me more determined than ever to get my new boy (whoever he may be!) gelded as soon as possible. I just couldn't handle this kind of stress!!!!

Wingnut, it's not always a disaster having a stallion. The boys do sing and some are more assertive than others but the key to all of this is secure fencing, a turn out buddy, no mares sharing a fence line and lots of interaction with them but really JMHO but 99.9% of boys should be gelded. Geldings are AWESOME!!!

Wingnut, it's not always a disaster having a stallion. The boys do sing and some are more assertive than others but the key to all of this is secure fencing, a turn out buddy, no mares sharing a fence line and lots of interaction with them but really JMHO but 99.9% of boys should be gelded. Geldings are AWESOME!!!

THIS needs to be framed and hung on every wall in every barn!

Our boys have their own barn and attached paddock. They can see the girls, but the driveway is between the two paddocks and the boys can't get close. Pasture is pretty much escape proof (nothing is 100% with a determined horse!) We don't give them a turn out buddy, but they can see the other horses in the barn.

There is a mini Stallion/Stud where I have my mini boarded. I have lead him and even walked him through the trail course. He is better than my Halo. He can test at times, but what mini doesn't but he is an absolute love! He loves to be kissed on the head, and loved on by humans. He does call out to the "girls", when you walk by them, but my friend, has them trained, that when she says "Your not ready!" they listen to her and quiet right down. I was in shock, the first time I heard her say that and had him listen. LOL Of course, he was on halter, at the time and there is a sturdy fence between them. He's not kept next to mares, we just have to walk past paddocks, to get to the trail course. I can't even imagine how sweet this little guy would be gelded, since he is so sweet at a stud. He is a little guy...only 27" and to see him act "Studly" is hilarious to me. I know, has nothing to do with jumping the fence, but I am so in love with this little guy. Wish he was mine. Would take him in a minute!

Interesting thread...

I had the impression you were evil if you didn't geld your stallion. Maybe if you give 'em lotsa' kisses it's ok?

Ang, here's my opinion
default_yes.gif
Most people are better off with geldings and not stallions especially if they are new to the world of horses. My gelding taught me so much and he's a pleasure to work and train. These boys are still stallions in tiny packages and their minds are on breeding mares (and eating) and by gelding you solve those hormonal problems. There are some awesome, gentle stallions out there though but they do need some extra effort to care and house them. And yes, they love kisses. No one is evil if they leave a boy intact. Just need to think what you are doing if you bring a baby into the world and think about whether it's for you to keep because odds are you aren't going to be able to sell it especially if it's another one of those boys.

Latest posts

Back